Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just gave notice at my job, yikes!

Isifhan

Man what a sigh of relief. I just gave notice at my job and plan on opening my own entertainment management firm come June 1. I have to tell you though I'm pretty scared ****less right now about doing it :) I made up my mind a while back and have been putting things in place for the past several months but until that first contract and money comes in I'm going to be sweating.

Anyone have any similar experiences they'd like to share? Doesn't have to be opening your own business but just kind of change without a net so to speak type experiences they would care to share?

Similar but a little different. I was thirty working for the State and making pretty good money. I hated my job though and was constantly on the road to such lovely places as Jal and Clovis. Left monday morning and got home friday night. I got to hating mondays like nobody's business.

So I "retired" the day I hit my five year anniversary (vested in the pension program) to go back to school. I'd gone for a year and a half after hs but left to work. The decision to do that was made easier because I didn't like my job but the thought of having money problems at 30 after I was used to having a regular income was very scary.

Turned out great, though I did have to scale back on some things, and it was the best thing I ever did, as I'm sure your's will too. You have to take some risk to make good things happen but if you have faith in yourself you'll get it done. A little fear is a good motivator too! Best of luck to you.:applause:

I really don't have any similar life experiences to offer, Isifhan, but I wish you nothing but success in your new venture. It takes great testicular fortitude to cut that safety net and take a risk. But generally, the reward is directly proportional to the risk involved.

Good luck!!!

:cheers:

Man what a sigh of relief. I just gave notice at my job and plan on opening my own entertainment management firm come June 1. I have to tell you though I'm pretty scared ****less right now about doing it :) I made up my mind a while back and have been putting things in place for the past several months but until that first contract and money comes in I'm going to be sweating.

Anyone have any similar experiences they'd like to share? Doesn't have to be opening your own business but just kind of change without a net so to speak type experiences they would care to share?

Good luck brother. :) Are you going after all forms of talent? Bringing any of your old clients with you?

Good luck brother. :) Are you going after all forms of talent? Bringing any of your old clients with you?

Thanks for the well wishes guys :)

I'm in discussions about bringing a couple of our acts with me but it has to get worked out b/c of a non-compete deal. Talent will most likely be all forms between the two of us we have experience in every musical genre, dance, theatre and acting so there's a lot of possibilities. However, for me, I've learned it's better for everyone to have a small number of artists that work consistently rather than to have a ton of artists and throw up everything against the wall and see what sticks philosophy.

Though we're (partner & I) are trying to figure out the balance of just how many artists we'll take on full time. We want the crux of our business to be corporate event management and venue management with artist seasoning thrown in I guess you could say.

What exactly does an entertainment management firm do?
entertainment management firm what exactly is that?

Well, as far as we're concerned we're going to have three key areas of management, Artist, Event and Venue. I'll try and keep it short so's not to bore you :D

Artist management would be managing of artists careers-everything from a big picture "where is my career headed" to setting up record and television deals to the nitty gritty of managing contracts and day to day stuff like travel and such. We can book if we so choose, as in book artists into venues, clubs etc, basically sales but we're probably not going to much of that, it's a pain in the ass though with the right artist it can be lucrative.

Venue management would be the running of a facility, in the two proposals we have pending one would be a club and one would be a 400 seat theatre. In both cases they are brand new and will be rental only so we'd oversee everything from renting them out to setting up their initial marketing and such. Once everything is up and running is more of contracting rentals, all which would be commissionable.

Event management we're going to focus on corporate events, everything from incentive travel to product launches and stuff. From conceptualizing them to making them a reality, contracting the venue, vendors and entertainment to make it unique and successful.

So that's what we will be in a nutshell. There's a lot of potential but it's a matter of getting the first few contracts under your belt. We both have contacts that would probably help us out by throwing some business our way just to get us on our feet so to speak but to really start bringing in good money we have to pound the pavement and deliver quality work.

Opened a car dealership 7 weeks ago, lots of work, lots of long hours but it's all self-induced stress. Be prepared to spend money and not have any coming in, it's kinda scary but everyone goes through it, good luck.

Thanks and good luck with the dealership. :applause:

i left my job of over 11 years on january second to go to school to become a crane operator so i can relate to exactly what your going through.

i still need two more licenses to get a job and my safety net is starting to get much smaller.

i was scared you know whatless at first but i am starting to get more comfortable with the thought of doing something different.

Went from being a special ed teacher to a freelance artist, NPR reporter, writer, and audio engineer. There are things I miss about the old world (stability, lightbulb moments, etc.) but there is nothing like being your own boss and making it work. I suplement still with lots of volunteering, so that part of my soul is still fed.

The beginning is scary as heck... having only you to rely on and only you to give you advice is a hard thing. More, when I was starting out everybody wanted a freebie and many thought they could undercut me because they knew I was starting out.

Best of luck. You are entering a crazy world, one that's often feast or famine.

I'm trying to buy a bar.

I quit my job last week and today the guy i'm trying to buy out got cold feet.

My partner is only willing to try, if it's initally profitable for him and it won't be.

I think I have to do it without a close friend I was counting on.

Next week, I'm jobless, barless and possibily at odds with a very close friend.

It's ****in' frightening, but what the hell. I have zero to lose.

Archived