Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WHO do you like better for FA WR? Devery Henderson or Bryant Johnson?

TheShredder

Bryant Johnson is not a good football player. I've seen around 20 of his games and over 5 games live. I've never been impressed. To put that into context, I always have to explain the game and players to people I watch the game with.

I've gone into detail about:

Steve Breaston, Leonard Pope, Jeremy Urban, Marcel Shipp, Ben Patrick, etc.

Never have I had someone say, "hey, who's that Johnson guy." Which is sad because I like Penn State.

He doesn't compare favorably to Rod Gardner. He drops the easy ones. If the timing is right, that's when he's most prone to fail. He doesn't play physical. AZ has no interest in trying to keep him, a FA off the street outplayed him last year and ended up getting more time later in the year (Urban).

I'll concede that he MIGHT go to another team and work on his game, but he has been a bust here in AZ and he hasn't shown enough to actually expect he'll turn into a starting caliber WR.

Buyer beware

:two cents:

sounds like a certain reciever that we just cut loose. :cool:
I don't remember reading anywhere that Henderson is a self involved head-case with delusions of grandeur. He's a young talented player who can go up and get the ball. Dosen't mind running crossing patterns so he's no coward like Lloyd. I think the only knock on him is that he'll occasionally drop a ball.

I think we should stay away from these guys' date=' they don't have much to offer. The Jets just released McCariens, who played pretty well for Tennessee. I believe he was a good tall receiver, 6' 3" - 4" - or 5" I think.[/quote']

McCareins is only 6'2", but what most people remember about him is being a tall end-zone receiver for the Titans in 2003, when he caught 7 touchdowns. He then signed a free agent deal with the Jets in 2004, and his numbers have gotten worse every single year since then. I don't think he's the answer.

2004: 16 games, 56 receptions, 770 yards, 4 touchdowns.

2005: 16-43-713-2

2006: 16-23-347-1

2007: 16-19-232-0

Literally worse in every single category, every single year. I'd prefer Johnson or Henderson myself.

I wouldn't count on Henderson being a #2. He is almost the definition of "speed receiver". Excellent as a deep threat, but does not do so well on the short-intermediate routes. Very good in certain situations, but not the reliable receiver you'd want as a dependable second option. Very similiar player to Donte Stallworth (thats why we traded him, because we already had Henderson, didn't need the redundancy and Stallworth's contract was up next year)

I had read something a few years ago about WR and their break-out years... I forget exactly when that was typical, but I am assuming that Devery Henderson has the chance to join a team and have an incredible breakout year.... The right system, with the right QB??? JC has a beautiful deep ball!!!???!!!

YEAH JC has a nice deep ball, SO deep that the WRs cannot catch up to it most of the time. With that being said, Henderson would be nice.. As a 3rd WR after we pick up a #1 to compliment MOSS at #2 and El as a 4th or in for the gimick play which is really all he is good for.

Additionally, (and ignoring the fact that I'm a Penn State homer) Bryant Johnson is used to being a 3rd or 4th receiver, so I doubt he'd make too many waves in the locker room about being behind Moss, Randle-El and Cooley. Running a bunch of 7-8 yard West Coast routes might be good for him, and he'd have to be extremely cheap salary wise. That might be our best option.

Bryant Johnson is not a good football player. I've seen around 20 of his games and over 5 games live. I've never been impressed. To put that into context, I always have to explain the game and players to people I watch the game with.

I've gone into detail about:

Steve Breaston, Leonard Pope, Jeremy Urban, Marcel Shipp, Ben Patrick, etc.

Never have I had someone say, "hey, who's that Johnson guy." Which is sad because I like Penn State.

He doesn't compare favorably to Rod Gardner. He drops the easy ones. If the timing is right, that's when he's most prone to fail. He doesn't play physical. AZ has no interest in trying to keep him, a FA off the street outplayed him last year and ended up getting more time later in the year (Urban).

I'll concede that he MIGHT go to another team and work on his game, but he has been a bust here in AZ and he hasn't shown enough to actually expect he'll turn into a starting caliber WR.

Buyer beware

:two cents:

I don't think Urban got more playing time late in the year considering over the last 3 games Urban had 3 catches for 30 yards and Johnson had 7 for 91 yards. If Urban was playing more than Johnson thats just pathetic.

While this is true, it only half of the total truth. in 2005 he played in 13 games and in 2006 he played in 14 games. He didn't start all of those games but he did play in them. Your statement is a little bit misleading in that it suggests that the guy is never on the field. He was injured for most of last year, true. He was on pace to have the best year of his career before the injury. Devery Henderson was unable to step up when given the opportunity last year. He had 3 TDs in 16 games for 2007, Hackett had 3 TDs as well, but did it in just 6 games before being injured. Hackett had almost as good a year a Henderson while playing in 10 less games. Hackett is improving and has more upside than Henderson. Is he tough enough though? great question. I think you have to say that Hackett is the better prospect here if you consider both guys healthy. Who knows, maybe Hackett can be the O's version of Shawn Springs...great when he is on the field, which isn't often enough.... I'll give the nod to Hackett since he is familiar with Zorn.

Hackett has missed 31 of 64 games.

Those are just the facts.

I wouldn't give him the type of money he's gonna get for that type of injury risk. When he's played, he's been ok. and knows the system but dems the facts.

Hackett's career stats.

2007 - 6 Games Played, 6 Started; 32 catches for 384 yards and 3 TDs

2006 - 14 Games Played, 5 Started; 45 catches for 610 yards and 4 TDs

2005 - 13 Games, 3 Started; 28 catches for 400 yards and 2 TDs.

Johnson

TOTAL - 77 Games Played, 210 catches for 2675 yards and 9 scores over a 5 year period.

Last year (included in total) - 16 Games, 8 started 46 catches for 528 yards and 2 TDs.

Hederson

TOTAL - 45 games played 74 catches for 1497 yards and 11 TDs over a 4 year period.

Last year (included in total) - 16 Games, 9 Started 20 catches for 409 yards and 3 TDs.

Looking at those numbers and considering they were all in pretty prominent passing offenses, Hackett's have gotta look the most impressive barring injury although that might not be realistic. He's younger than the other two as well. Bigger than Henderson but not quite as tall as Johnson.

Hackett > Johnson > Henderson

I like Bryant Johnson much better. Hes athletic and was overshadowed by Fitz and Anaquan. Give this man some PT and he will show what he does;)

Agreed, a number 2 to those guys that really stepped up when they were hurt. I think Bryant can be at least a #2 (Moss, Bryant, ARE would be much better).

I really like both of them for the price they would come at. However, I don't think Henderson is that tall, he's listed at 5'11" 200 lbs. Not much of a difference from what we already have. Johnson is the taller one, but I think both fit into a WCO. Henderson might be the product of a system from New Orleans, benefiting from the big numbers they put up. However, I would give a chance to both of them.

YEAH JC has a nice deep ball, SO deep that the WRs cannot catch up to it most of the time. With that being said, Henderson would be nice.. As a 3rd WR after we pick up a #1 to compliment MOSS at #2 and El as a 4th or in for the gimick play which is really all he is good for.

That was pretty funny!!

I hear that Devery Henderson is getting ready to sign... Jerry Porter deal is done... It's looking more like we will have to draft a tall one!

I like Devery Henderson. His yards per catch is rediculous, over 20 I know.

I don't think he could be our number two however, I'd rather have DJ Hackett.

I agree with you on Hacket but Devery Henderson Suuuuucks ...

Hackett 07'

6 games

32 rec

385 yds

3 td

Henderson 07'

16 games

20 rec

409 yds

3 td

I would take Hackett and his injuries over Henderson any day. Not to mention that even though Henderson Averaged 20.2 yds a catch, He only averaged 25.6 yds a game

Bryant Johnson and Randy Moss are the type of players WE DONT NEED on this team. They have horrible character and would destroy what Gibbs built here. Their exactly the type of players that we should not be signing in this Dan Snyder era.

I like Devery Henderson, but in no way would he settle our WR problem even though he is tall and has BLAZING!!!:D speed.

Look guys I went to LSU when Henderson was there he was great, I live near N.O. I have seen devery play alot. In the NFL he cannot catch. He has brick hands! Also everybody keeps talking alot about WRS size and speed, but none of this matters unless you can catch a FOOTBALL and RUN a route. Lets look for a hard worker, a good route runner, and somebody that can catch, and if that person is 6'2 then GREAT!

Hackett's career stats.

2007 - 6 Games Played, 6 Started; 32 catches for 384 yards and 3 TDs

2006 - 14 Games Played, 5 Started; 45 catches for 610 yards and 4 TDs

2005 - 13 Games, 3 Started; 28 catches for 400 yards and 2 TDs.

Johnson

TOTAL - 77 Games Played, 210 catches for 2675 yards and 9 scores over a 5 year period.

Last year (included in total) - 16 Games, 8 started 46 catches for 528 yards and 2 TDs.

Hederson

TOTAL - 45 games played 74 catches for 1497 yards and 11 TDs over a 4 year period.

Last year (included in total) - 16 Games, 9 Started 20 catches for 409 yards and 3 TDs.

Looking at those numbers and considering they were all in pretty prominent passing offenses, Hackett's have gotta look the most impressive barring injury although that might not be realistic. He's younger than the other two as well. Bigger than Henderson but not quite as tall as Johnson.

Hackett > Johnson > Henderson

Johnson will be 27 in March, Hackett will be 27 in July. Hackett is a whole 4 months younger than Johnson. Hackett has talent, but is hurt far to often. He would most likely be the #2 receiver if he signed here. How can we expect him to stay healthy as a starter if he couldn't stay healthy as a number 3 or 4 receiver in Seattle.

Bryant Johnson and Randy Moss are the type of players WE DONT NEED on this team. They have horrible character and would destroy what Gibbs built here. Their exactly the type of players that we should not be signing in this Dan Snyder era.

I like Devery Henderson, but in no way would he settle our WR problem even though he is tall and has BLAZING!!!:D speed.

First Off Bryant Johnson is a high character guy. He has been behind Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin and never complains. I have never heard anything bad about Bryant Johnson. Second, I don't know what you consider tall, but Devery Henederson ain't it. The guy is 5'11 we need someone that is 6'3 to 6'6.

Archived