Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now that the combine is over....

artmonkforHOF

Who impresed you? and who didn't?

I know the combine is only 1 small tool to help find your next player and a good combine does not necessarily make a good football player, but for those who watched part or all of the combine, who did you see that you liked and who did you not like? Feel free to add reasons why you like or dislike. Keep in mind, I do not watch any college football and am basing my opnions solely on what I saw at the combine.

Here's my lists:

Liked-

ND CB- Zibikowski- kid looks like a football player

BC CB- Silva- see above

TennSt- CB- Rogers-Cromatrie- best combine of any DB I saw

Vir-DE- Long- kid is a beast, tempted to trade up to get him for 1st/08 &1st/09.

OSU-DE Gholston- liked what i saw, but I dont like OSU players.

ND- DT Trevor Laws

Mich T Long- by far the best lineman in the draft

SFU CB- Trae Johnson? (the OTHER SFU corner) - liked what I saw and it doesnt look like the kid would have an ego

Did not like:

Mia- S- Phillips- did not impress me in the combine, game tape looks completely different

Kan-CB Talib- looks liek a fast dude, but can he play?

Mia- DE Campbell-I dont think he is worth a first round pick from what I saw at the combine.

ALL TOP WR prospects. i dont think any of the top 5 WR's are worthy of being a first round pick this year. I still think some could be good NFL wideouts, but do not desereve first round money out of the gate. I think a real steal could be had in later rounds from some of the quitter guys.

Long is a monster....I would gladly trade 2 first rounders for a guy that plays like every play is his last.

Sometimes players have overwhelming and rare talent like Randy Moss but they are lacking in other areas like attitude.

Chris Long is not the greatest athlete we've ever seen but he is an elite athlete which places him in rare air. What really sets him apart is his work ethic and instensity

You know if you draft him that he will get better by the play and by the game for the next 10-12 years. I would definitely spend two draft picks on a kid that plays the way he does.

I remember watching the Combine two years ago and caught out of the corner of my eye a defensive tackle from GA who ran the fastest 40 of all the other tackles ... his name? ... Kendrick Golston. Last year there was a safety from LSU who blew every other DB away ... Laron Landry, of course. This year, I spotted a defensive end named Jeremy Thompson from WF (6'4"+, 264 who ran a 4.75)... pretty good for a DE ... but what stood out with this guy was his rip-cut physique and smooth, fluid movement through the drills. In my opinion, he made Chris Long look almost awkward by comparison. Oh by the way, Long also ran a 4.75 and is roughly the same size and weight as JT. If the Skins can steal this guy in the 2nd or 3rd rnd ... they have another "combine winner."

I remember watching the Combine two years ago and caught out of the corner of my eye a defensive tackle from GA who ran the fastest 40 of all the other tackles ... his name? ... Kendrick Golston. Last year there was a safety from LSU who blew every other DB away ... Laron Landry, of course. This year, I spotted a defensive end named Jeremy Thompson from WF (6'4"+, 264 who ran a 4.75)... pretty good for a DE ... but what stood out with this guy was his rip-cut physique and smooth, fluid movement through the drills. In my opinion, he made Chris Long look almost awkward by comparison. Oh by the way, Long also ran a 4.75 and is roughly the same size and weight as JT. If the Skins can steal this guy in the 2nd or 3rd rnd ... they have another "combine winner."

I dont know man, Long looked really good to me. Also, says he ran a 4.71 40. Just sayin. http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806e11ee

Unfortunately in the Last 10 years, the #21 pick has produced just 1 superstar.

2007: Reggie Nelson Safety

2006: Laurence Maroney (Has a chance to become something special)

2005: Matt Jones WR.

2004: Vince Wilfork DT

2003: Jeff Faine Center

2002: Daniel Graham TE

2001: Nate Clements Corner Back

2000: Sylvester Morris WR

1999: L.J Shelton Tackle

1998: Randy Moss

Only Randy Moss is all that and a bag of potatoe chips. Is there a Moss in this years draft? I don't know, but I think that maybe DLhas the most depth and best probability to give us a play maker @ #21.

Long is a monster....I would gladly trade 2 first rounders for a guy that plays like every play is his last.

Sometimes players have overwhelming and rare talent like Randy Moss but they are lacking in other areas like attitude.

Chris Long is not the greatest athlete we've ever seen but he is an elite athlete which places him in rare air. What really sets him apart is his work ethic and instensity

You know if you draft him that he will get better by the play and by the game for the next 10-12 years. I would definitely spend two draft picks on a kid that plays the way he does.

To bad so many others disagree, See my thread on trading up for Long. :doh:

I am on the same bandwagon as you though, who needs GOOD CBs and Safeties if you have a killer Pass rush

2007: Reggie Nelson Safety

2006: Laurence Maroney (Has a chance to become something special)

2005: Matt Jones WR.

2004: Vince Wilfork DT

2003: Jeff Faine Center

2002: Daniel Graham TE

2001: Nate Clements Corner Back

2000: Sylvester Morris WR

1999: L.J Shelton Tackle

1998: Randy Moss

Actually, there are several guys on that list I would love to have. Nelson was solid for Jacksonville this year wasn't he? Wilfork really anchors New England's defensive line. He's the reason all their old LBs can continue to produce. Clements is a #1 corner by any stretch of the imagination. And while I don't know nearly as much about offensive lineman, I want to say I read an article the other day about how Faine anchored the Saints offensive line. Could be wrong about that one, but the point remains. We have a very good chance of picking up an impact player, unless we draft WR of course. ;) :laugh:

Unfortunately in the Last 10 years, the #21 pick has produced just 1 superstar.

Then it's due.

On 2nd thought, after actually looking at the list I'd say that there has been some very good talent there aside from Moss. Nate Clements, Vince Wilfork and a couple others who have had pro bowl caliber seasons.

They may not be Superstars or household names though.

How were you not impressed by James Hardy and Limas Sweed?

Both were 6'4+ and ran sub 4.5 40s.. pretty impressive to me

Pretty much. Both are extremely good options. Hardy does nothing but scores TDs (his worst season included 10 TDs, twice, which is Malcolm Kelly's best). This past season he put up 16 TDs.

Sweed is a freak when the ball is thrown his way. Watch his tape. He's very much like Plaxico, only more physical.

What was unimpressive about Talib? He had a very good vertical and 40 time. And he absolutely SKIED to make a catch in one of the interception drills that I saw.

Talib did not look like he had any good technique in any "football" drill he did at the combine. His footwork was suspect at best and he looks like he has trouble turning his hips. I think his speed makes up for a lot of other area's he is lacking in. I never really look at the 40 times or verticals, especailly for DB's. Rod Woodson made a great point saying the 40 was pretty useless as a measuring tool for DB's since they are never in a 3 point stance and must be quick from a standing position and be able to change directions and get to speed quickly.

He does have good ball skills, but I just dont think the guy is worth a 1st round pick, maybe a second. Then again, this is just the opiinion of a Skins fan who does not watch college football and is going off what he saw in the combine only. technically I think that makes me more qualified than Vinny.

although those stats are impresssive, in the pass catching drills and otehr footwork drills I saw, nobody stood out as a "stud" WR. I'm sure some of those guys will go on to have great careers, but I still would not take any of them in the first round.

my winners:

CB DR Cromartie - looked great in drills and the 40

WR Limas Sweed - answered questions about speed

DE Lawrence Jackson - quietly had a good combine, great bench press and better than expected 40

DT Trevor Laws - impressive benchpress

DE Quentin Groves - tore up everything

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is who I wanted the Redskins to draft before the combine. With his performance at the combine he might be a 1st round pick. We need a tall CB to cover TO and Plaxico for the next couple of years.
I'm in this boat too. I saw him in person at a couple of the Senior Bowl practices and then the game itself. I would not mind at all if we ended up with him. That being said, I would still like a big WR and some young, talented lineman on both sides of the ball. Guess we'll have to let the front office decide what the best course of action is.

my winners:

CB DR Cromartie - looked great in drills and the 40

WR Limas Sweed - answered questions about speed

DE Lawrence Jackson - quietly had a good combine, great bench press and better than expected 40

DT Trevor Laws - impressive benchpress

DE Quentin Groves - tore up everything

:applause:

I agree with this 100%

I really wish I could call Dan/Vinny, though -who knows - maybe they're reading this :laugh: .

Been saying it for months now, this kid has tremendous strength, work ethic and is going to be an absolute steal in the later rounds.

Im pretty sure hes a saftey, and i only bring this up because i think he would be an amazing late round pick to groom at ss. Quite frankly, from what i saw watching him during the year, hes a fairly stout playmaker

yeah, i like him too, keep watching that east-west game, and he's everywhere.

p.s. i was impressed with laws as well, if a quick DT is what we draft i'd go laws, dude had like 100 some odd tackles last year. thats 100 tackles on players that didnt get very far past the line of scrimmage.

I saw them both also, and thought what they did was pretty amazing. To put it in context, a RB would have to run a 4.26 to a 4.32 to compliment what Sweed and Hardy did in their 40 heats.

Archived