Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are there any Skins fans over 80 left?????

dyounker44

I know you wrote that for humor :laugh: . Your question reminded me that I did meet a fan who actually saw Sammy Baugh play for the Skins. He said Baugh was astounding.

Aside from the average life expectancy in the US of 77.8 years, a person in their 80s would struggle to get to and from FedEx Field, let along the walk from the parking lot to their seats in the 90,000 seat behemoth. I don't think sports bars are their thing either.

But, they are out there. After experiencing George Preston Marshall, I suspect they are mellow about Daniel Snyder.

I know two very well. They try to attend every game. It is getting more and more difficult physically for them each year though.

One is pretty much laid back about it when they don't do well, the other gets pretty angry, but so far not life threatening.:) They both get pretty excited when the Skins do well, so maybe the mediocrity has actually kept them alive. :whoknows:

I know a couple, my grandparents. Maybe you dont hang out with the right crowd(when was the last time YOU played bingo?).

:laugh:

to the OP: The people who are over 80 do NOT have computers so that is why you do not see them on here, plus some of the people on here are too mean

Close this thread..this is disrespectful. :troll:

Why is this disrespecfull. Twice i have had the pleasure of sitting next to an elderley person at the game. Both times I enjoyed the hell out of it. Both times it happened I was in my early and mid twenties. The last time it was a lady that was 85 at the time and we talked the whole game. We talked about the history of the team and where it is going. She was a retired teacher and my wife was with me who was in her first year of teaching. I gave her my address and she sent my wife some books about educational procedures. That ranks among my most enjoyable game expriences. That was about ten years ago and I dont recall seeing anyone even close to her age at the games in a long time. There is nothing disrespectfull about a joke that is not offensive. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people that have paved the way for us to enjoy our lives today. So instead of closing this thread have a little humor and maybe share an experience. Think about it for a second. How many games have we lost in the last few minutes of the game. I know I have damn near had a heart attack

:laugh:

to the OP: The people who are over 80 do NOT have computers so that is why you do not see them on here, plus some of the people on here are too mean

My father in law is 75 and he is online at least 6-7 hours a day. He just doesn't hang out on message boards. He's usually planning vacations or E-mailing doctors and whatnot. He's also doing financial stuff.

Agree with you that some people on here are too mean.

Well, my grandmother is 89 years old. I don't know when she attended her first game, but I do know my grandparents were at the Pearl Harbor game at Griffith Stadium. I heard them tell the story many times when I was a lad, but never thought much of it.

The last game she attended was the Denver game in 2005 at Investco. The rain, sleet and 20 degree temp drop put her into gameday retirement at the age of 87.

I still have my grandfather's ticket account in his name since Griffith Stadium, but he's now 20 years gone. Grandmother now watches from home in HD.

BTW, an interesting account of the Pearl Harbor NFL Sunday can be found in Michael McCambridge's(sp?) Book "America's Game".

The calls for all military personnel to "report to gate... ASAP" flooded the PA systems of the old ballparks. People were really scared. No one knew what had happened b/c there were no cell phones, tv's, portable radios etc. The games cont. but the PA announcers were instructed not to spill the news of the attack to the gameday crowds.

Has anyone ever wondered why you never see any Redskins fans over 80 years old. I have and I havent seen many. Why, the have all died from Heart attack or stroke watching this team play the last 15 years.

My Grandfather is 84 and is a huge Skins fan. He and I are going to the Hall of Fame ceremony this summer. He went to all of the Superbowls in the 80's and 90's too. He loves the Redskins and I am continuing the tradition.

Not to mention he is the oldest surviving service member that jumped on DDay who came from Maryland. The mans my hero :helmet:

Has anyone ever wondered why you never see any Redskins fans over 80 years old. I have and I havent seen many. Why, the have all died from Heart attack or stroke watching this team play the last 15 years.

My grandparents are both 81 and my grandfather stood inline in 1961 to get his season tickets and thanks to them thats how I account for the tickets I have today. They are too old to deal with us drunk idiots or the Philly fans so they enjoy the games from home and I carry on the family tradition...

This is the "Strawhatter" and I'm 75 and going strong. Physically I could go to games but thanks to the government and insurance companies there isn't enough monies left to be able to attend the games. I've been a Redskin fan through the good and bad years and I guess the total years number about 50.

I read alot on the board but post very little. Some of the posts are good and some I find very little reasoning to the posters thinking.

I'm happy to be healthy and alive and no matter what I'll always be a Redskin fan. Hoping there are a lot more of us so called "old timers" out here supporting the Redskins.

My grandfather stood inline in 1961 to get his season tickets and thanks to them thats how I account for the tickets I have today.

Me too! Except my grandfather got his seats transferred from Griffith Stadium and he was allowed to choose anywhere in the 500 level of RFK, so he took six seats in section 507. I was born at just the right time!

:notworthy

Since 2000, we've let go of all but two of our seats in 401. I moved my last pair down to the Cave in 2004. No regrets though, b/c it became too difficult to find people to enjoy the tix w/us after the move in 1997. Tix are now cheaper and easier to get than at any other point in my life. This is good thing for my friends.

;)

Archived