Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darren McFadden 40 yd dash: 4.27!!!

JimmyConway

4.27? Damn.

What was Deion Sanders combine time? I think he has the record...

Nope.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-02-22-40-yard-dash_N.htm

With 40-yard dash times, nothing's quite 'official'

By Frank Cooney, Special to USA TODAY

INDIANAPOLIS — When 40-yard times are announced the next few days from the NFL scouting combine, there are a few things that should be kept in perspective. First, there is no single "official" 40 time at the combine. That said, Bo Jackson has the best verifiable time at a combine with his 4.12-second clocking at the Louisiana Superdome in 1986.

The best 40 time at an Indianapolis combine was turned in by Eastern Kentucky wide receiver Rondel Melendez with a 4.24 in 1999, the first year electronic timing was implemented at the event.

There are numerous stories that Deion Sanders ran faster than 4.2 seconds at another Superdome combine in 1989. However, reports from that week indicate he was timed at 4.28 seconds by one of the so-called "official" stopwatches. But it is important to keep the term "official" in context because there is no such thing as a single "official" time at the NFL combine.

Melendez, with his 4.24 clocking in 1999, is at the top of the Indy combine list. As it turned out, his NFL career didn't last much longer than his clocking after he was drafted in the seventh round by the Atlanta Falcons.

Champ Bailey turned in a 4.28 that same year, the same time set by Sanders in 1989 in New Orleans. They obviously went on to far more productive careers than Melendez, whose highlight was a 67-yard punt return as a rookie before being cut by several teams, including one in NFL Europe. He was out of the league by 2002.

So the process and an accurate look at history should be kept in mind as the 40-yard times are announced for this year's draft prospects. The 40 time is good to know and makes for great conversation, but it doesn't make a Melendez into a Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. So, beware any 40-yard time that is labeled as "official" from the combine.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable — or listed — time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch. However, the times are usually well grouped.

Listed below are the best 40 times and results in other events recorded by NFLDraftScout.com since 1999.

40-Yard Dash Times

4.24 — Rondel Melendez, (WR), Eastern Kentucky — 1999

4.28 —Jerome Mathis, (WR), Hampton — 2005

4.28 — *Champ Bailey, (CB), Georgia — 1999

4.29 —Stanford Routt, (CB), Houston — 2005

4.29 — Jay Hinton, (RB), Morgan State — 1999

4.29 — *Fabian Washington, (CB), Nebraska — 2005

4.30 —Yamon Figurs (WR), Kansas State — 2007

4.30 —Darrent Williams, (CB), Oklahoma State — 2005

4.31 — *Johnathan Joseph, (CB), South Carolina — 2006

4.31 — Aaron Lockett, (WR), Kansas State — 2002

4.31 —Santana Moss, (WR), Miami — 2001

4.32 — *Troy Williamson, (WR), South Carolina — 2005

4.32 — *Chad Jackson, (WR), Florida — 2006

4.32 —Jason Hill (WR), Washington State — 2007

4.32 —Tim Jennings, (CB), Georgia — 2006

4.32 —Chris McKenzie, (CB), Arizona State — 2005

4.32 —Tim Carter, (WR), Auburn — 2002

4.32 —Kevin Garrett, (CB), Southern Methodist — 2003

4.32 — Antwan Harris, (CB), Virginia — 2000

4.33 —Carlos Francis, (WR), Texas Tech — 2004

4.33 — Karsten Bailey, (WR), Auburn — 1999

4.33 —Chris Chambers, (WR), Wisconsin — 2001

4.34 — *Ahmad Carroll, (CB), Arkansas — 2004

4.34 —Domonique Foxworth, (CB), Maryland — 2005

4.34 —Tyrone Calico, (WR), Middle Tennessee State — 2003

']I think Jerry Jones just called Bill Parcells to reopen some talks they were having.

DWinzit: That's what I was thinking also. I thought for sure he'd run closer to a 4.4. WOW

Tom [Giants fan]: You know' date=' when I start thinking like you, it may be time for a break from extremeskins.

DWinzit: Go Redskins!

Tom [Giants fan']: Ok, I won't ever think that unless the Giants need them to win to make the playoffs.

One of the best exchanges in a long time. :)

Archived