Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We do NOT need to draft another CB (or Safety for that matter), our Secondary is Fine

#98QBKiller

samuels/kendall/rabach/thomas/heyer sounds good to me. i think next year we need to focus on drafting another OT, and potentially a G. but if thomas remains healthy our line is fine. jansen might play as well too, although he has been terrible the past 2 seasons, and injured to boot.

either way, WR and OL are both important, but i think we can get away with our oline for one more season.

from what Vinny said we will probably go after a swing OL somewhere in FA or the draft

I'd feel better if Macklin worked out.

I'm scared of another 2006. You saw what a weak CB core can do to a defense with little pressure from the DL. We lose Springs, Rogers or Smoot, all whom have injury concerns and we're going to see alot of Leigh Torrence on the field.

Fixed that for you. A good pass rush from our front 4 means less blitzing needed (and when you do a greater chance of success) and less talent needed too.

With as much time as we give opposing QBs we need pro-bowl players in all 7 positions behind the line. No team can achieve that in the salary cap era so why were we trying to and why would people want to continue in the same way?

Don't get me wrong a Cromartie-whatshistod would be a great CB pick up and we would all love him being a 'Skin. Won't make much of a dent in the Wins/Losses column though.

While I don't WANT to draft a CB in the first round, I definitely think its a position of need.

Let's face it - Rogers won't be back until October most likely, and there is certainly no guarantee Springs will last all season. And he didn't have one of the "best seasons of his career," he had one of the best (if not the best) 4-game stretches of his career. He was pretty invisible for the first 12 games, as he didn't play much (strategy was to get him well-rested for the stretch run and playoffs, and it worked).

I love Torrence, and Eubanks has shown some nice skills, but I think we need another young CB in the mix. Maybe Westbrook has made huge strides and can be a solid contributor, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ideally, I'd like to see our 2nd rounder used on a CB - either Flowers or Rodgers-Cromartie.

from what Vinny said we will probably go after a swing OL somewhere in FA or the draft

and thats fine, thatll be one of our later picks, probably 5th round for a G/T.

corner is not where we need to look for our 1st round pick. 2nd or 3rd for a corner is fine, but we need an impact WR/DL player, something we already have in the secondary.

rounds 1, 2, and 3 need to be spent on WR/DL/CB. WR/DL need to be the first round, after that i dont care, but we need some guys in these rounds. if we actually have a good draft at these 3 spots, even if these dudes arent studs and they turn out to be solid good starters, we could really be on the right path.

While I don't WANT to draft a CB in the first round, I definitely think its a position of need.

Let's face it - Rogers won't be back until October most likely, and there is certainly no guarantee Springs will last all season. And he didn't have one of the "best seasons of his career," he had one of the best (if not the best) 4-game stretches of his career. He was pretty invisible for the first 12 games, as he didn't play much (strategy was to get him well-rested for the stretch run and playoffs, and it worked).

I love Torrence, and Eubanks has shown some nice skills, but I think we need another young CB in the mix. Maybe Westbrook has made huge strides and can be a solid contributor, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ideally, I'd like to see our 2nd rounder used on a CB - either Flowers or Rodgers-Cromartie.

agreed, i just dont wanna use the 1st rounder on him.

corner is not where we need to look for our 1st round pick. 2nd or 3rd for a corner is fine, but we need an impact WR/DL player, something we already have in the secondary.

rounds 1, 2, and 3 need to be spent on WR/DL/CB. WR/DL need to be the first round, after that i dont care, but we need some guys in these rounds. if we actually have a good draft at these 3 spots, even if these dudes arent studs and they turn out to be solid good starters, we could really be on the right path.

I agree with your 1st and 2nd round selections but i think it should be 1st: DL ... 2nd: WR

samuels/kendall/rabach/thomas/heyer sounds good to me. i think next year we need to focus on drafting another OT, and potentially a G. but if thomas remains healthy our line is fine. jansen might play as well too, although he has been terrible the past 2 seasons, and injured to boot.

either way, WR and OL are both important, but i think we can get away with our oline for one more season.

Kendall is old and getting older while being barely starter quality at this stage in his career. Heyer played well for a pick up guy but let's not pretend we would be happy with his end of season showing if he was a first day pick instead. A RT/RB/TE to block one guy limits what you can do on O just a tad...

Heyer may well develop into a capable starter, but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he will ever be a dominant starter. Philip Daniels is a capable starter and he needs upgrading too.

EDIT: Oh and anytime you look at who is left in the draft and don't see value for your pick in an area of more need then indeed go CB. They are expensive usually so you have cheap(er) talent plus trade bait... We don't work that way though.

DL/WR is a huge risk in the first. I would rather see us adress WR in FA and with our recient luck late in the draft with DT, I'de rather see us adress that then. Maybe even bring in Kelley from the Raiders. DE could be servicable again, especially if we bring in Briggs and can rest MW, to only play rushing downs.

Fixed that for you. A good pass rush from our front 4 means less blitzing needed (and when you do a greater chance of success) and less talent needed too.

With as much time as we give opposing QBs we need pro-bowl players in all 7 positions behind the line. No team can achieve that in the salary cap era so why were we trying to and why would people want to continue in the same way?

Don't get me wrong a Cromartie-whatshistod would be a great CB pick up and we would all love him being a 'Skin. Won't make much of a dent in the Wins/Losses column though.

I wasn't implying that we should draft a CB in the first round or go after Asomugha or Samuel. Another CB is a need unless you're comfortable with Torrence or Eubanks out there. Its gonna take Carlos time to heal and then get back to game speed and if we lose Springs or Smoot during that time it'll be big trouble.

2006 trouble. Add Jared Allen to our 2006 defense and it still would've been soft.

We need a good young talented corner. Springs will not be here next year. His cap will be way way too high and he will not renegotiate, plus he cannot stay healthy. It is time to groom someone to take his place. You don't let your top corner go with no one take his spot. You have to get a young CB "this year" because he needs time to learn. If we do not groom one this year, then we take a huge step backwards at the position next year when we are trying to teach the new one the ropes.

Smoot is even worse when it comes to the health issue. It always seemed as if his hamsting is flairing up. He is not a #1 corner.

Rogers will be back in mid-season "supposedly." He probably will not be like his old self and will probably have lost a step. We definitely need a young corner. It is questionable if Rogers could ever be that #1 guy, I will be pulling for him.

As for safety. Yeah, we need a player there also. However, I think we have are starters in position and we just need some reliable depth.

So grabbing a top flight corner in the first or for FA is not a bad idea. If we do get one in FA, I will think that Springs will be traded come draft day whether or not Blache likes the decision.

Dont expect too much production out of either WR/DL for first year and maybe 2nd year. CB is a relatively safe position to draft if they are ranked high enough and shown that they can play both bump and zone coverage

theres plenty of WR that do well in their first year. calvin johnson had a pretty decent season for a rookie, dwayne bowe was awesome last year, steve smith helped the giants win the superbowl. larry fitz had a great rookie year, braylon edwards did fine. you can get good production out of a 1st round receiver in his rookie year.

I wasn't implying that we should draft a CB in the first round or go after Asomugha or Samuel. Another CB is a need unless you're comfortable with Torrence or Eubanks out there. Its gonna take Carlos time to heal and then get back to game speed and if we lose Springs or Smoot during that time it'll be big trouble.

2006 trouble. Add Jared Allen to our 2006 defense and it still would've been soft.

We could add an in his prime D Green to that team and still be soft. I'm not saying we shouldn't add depth but to add depth at the expense of starter upgrades, in very important positions, is hard for me to understand.

I guess it depends on how good you think our lines are. I think we have some great players (Carter and Monty on the D/Samuels and Thomas on the O) mixed in with some decidely average ones.

EDIT: For the record here's my draft plan for our first 3 picks taken from the Brandon Albert thread. DT like Corey Williams in FA (GB are stacked at DT so we would be getting a good player rather than the usual cast offs that teams release), pick #2 we take BPA from DE/CB.

3 Tech DT in FA. This guy (Brandon Albert) with our first, DE/CB with our second, Owen Schmitt with our third.

That's 2 guys (Albert/Schmitt) who are at the top of their respective positions in the draft and would see a lot of field time due the positions they play meaning good value too. Both also make our QB/RB/WRs better. Force multipliers are more important than highlight videos IMO.

I can see why we might go CB in the first, but I really hope we don't even though the player signed will likely be good. We need to build the best team not the best collection of individual talent in 'sexy' positions.

There's a lot more to the draft than just thinking "What position do I need the most right now?" They have to consider what talent they can get, if they're worth it at the spot they're taken, will there be more talent next year or sufficient talent later on in the draft, will the players best attributes gel in our offense/defense etc. etc. etc. I'm not going to research nearly enough (neither is anyone here) to know what choice to make so I'll leave it up to the Redskins staff.

Sean Springs is old, while Carlos Rogers is injured, so we're not that set at CB.

We did fine with Springs/Smoot last season and our safeties can pick up slack if one of them misses a few games.

We're in worse shape if we lose a DL or OL. What if Andre Carter goes down? Griff? What if Thomas/Jansen goes down again? We're not as talented in the trenches to make up for it.

No we weren't.

We were fine when all three of them were healthy and we rotated them. Springs got owned in the game against the Hawks. TO had a field day on us. Point is, we need good depth there.

But not in the 1st round.

Why i do agree we need OL depth, lets face it, no one we take in the draft for OL will see the field this year, unless there are injuries. Even if Jansen goes down again Heyer will be the one to step in for him not a rookie. Our defense did play great last season but thats where we have most of our problems this upcoming season.

DL - The only pass rush we get is from Carter. we need pressure up the middle and opposite carter. Daniels is old and Griffin isnt the player he used to be. Monty shows promise but he needs help aside of him.

Need: DT and DE

LB - Fletcher is solid in the middle and Blades looks like a good fit to be his replacement. Marcus is getting older and often injured. Rocky showed he can be a damn good ball player but we dont know when he will be back. Right now we are looking at starting Khary Campbell :doh:

Need: OLB

CB - Springs had a decent year last year but is always injured. Rogers isnt gonna be ready for a while and might not be back in form until next season. Smoot is always banged up and Torrence is decent at best right now. If the trend holds up we can be looking at starting Torrence and Westbrook/Eubanks. We need to groom a CB to take over for Springs when he leaves.

Need: Future starting CB

S - Landry is a lock and for now Reed is playing above average ball. I dont think that Reed is the answer for long term and we really lack depth with Prioleau leaving.

Need: S depth

keep in mind, our OL was hurt all last year, being a key reason for so many sacks and the inefficiencies of our run game. now im not sayin we dont need depth due to the injury factor, but dont draft an OL in the first.

At CB, carlos will be gone for a good portion of next year, or at least not 100%, and springs is aging, so i think we need that, but not in the first either. my vote is 2nd round pick and get flowers out of vt

Now at LB, Rocky will probably be ok, im not so nervous about him, but both Fletcher and Washington are aging. We have a good replacement for Fletcher in Blades, but we're gunna need an OLB, just not this year so much, so that wont be our 1st either.

At SS, i say we save that for a late round pick, and we do need one, just not an immediate starter. Im thinkin Steltz from lsu, but im not sure when hes goin

We do need a DE/DT, very badly, but we're not gettin one (or at least a DE) in the 1st so says vinny, and i dont know who i would want at DT from who is left in the 1st, so im rulin that out.

Finally, and WR, i guess we go with a tall possession WR, but thats if we dont address that in FA, which i just dont know whether we're gunna do that or not, only time will tell.

So, my vote is either just go for the best player available, or trade down for more picks, both would be ok with me

Springs-#1, Rogers-#2, Smoot-#3. If they're healthy at the same time, not currently, we'd be OK for maybe another year.

Springs is good, but declining and expensive against the cap.

Rogers, we know his situation is tenuous trying to come back from a difficult injury.

And Smoot played out of his mind at times last year but is declining as well, IMO.

The corners behind them? Someone may emerge as a quality #3, but I'd prefer to take a sensible chance as the best CB available who would fit in our system. Our defensive backfield, if they endured the same breakdowns as our o-line did last year, would not fare nearly as well.

Archived