Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You are "Vinny" who do you pick first?

Never4get#21

We need a right tackle and we should trade out of the first to do it and that person would be Gosder Cherilus from Boston College. He played left tackle in college but is projected as a right tackle in the pros and can also play guard.

I think Cherilus will be gone somewhere between Pick 26 and 36.

Expanding on my earlier post...here is the plan I came up with.

On the skins FRONT. HERE WE GO.

Draft

1.Kenwan Balmer, DT, NC (Kenny Phillips, Alt)

2.Robert Felton, OG, Arkansas (Phillip Merling, DE, Alt)

3. Brandon Flowers, CB, Va Tech (Dwight Lowery,CB, Alt)

Free Agents

1) Justin Smith, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Smith is an intriguing player. He’s consistent, experienced, and has a powerful motor. With 81 total tackles and 7.5 sacks in ’06, Smith showed that he was a high level end, and that he was coming into his own as a defensive leader on the Bengals. He’s been unable to have similar success this season, with just two sacks to go with his 75 total tackles. It doesn’t help that the defense around him has been porous. He won’t command elite dollars, but he could be valuable to a handful of teams and may find a suitor willing to open the checkbook a little bit.

2)Karlos Dansby, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Franchised so NO deal.

3)Drayton Florence, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Florence held onto his starting spot over Antonio Cromartie when it was thought that Cromartie would win the job early. However, even though the veteran showed his resolve and stepped up his play, Cromartie will probably be the starter next season. Florence is not a shutdown type of player, but he does make plays when he needs to most of the time and he had three interceptions in 2006 with two this season. The Chargers can afford to let him hit the market, and the best bet is that Florence will find a starting position somewhere else come next season.

4)Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

Starks is young and massive, and another Pittsburgh player that may leave the Steel City. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the potential he has shown on the field.

5)Drew Carter, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Carter hasn’t racked up yards by any means, but he has tended to be a decent passing weapon in the red zone. Carter has good size and runs fairly good routes. He’s out-produced receiver Keary Colbert, and he’s played like the number two behind Steve Smith. With Dwayne Jarrett waiting in the wings, Carter could be on the out, or he could be retained as a third option at best. A number two spot is something Carter will probably desire at this point in his career, and a team looking to compliment a speedy number one will consider him. Chances are that he remains no more than third receiver.

Or Mushin

And I am spent.

Why is this so hard.

Make it happen Danny

If I was Vinny, I would try to draft a top rated DB. Reasons is simple, Rogers suffered almost a career ending injury. Who knows if he will be truly a 100%. Also Shawn Springs is getting old, Shawn has been a great DB for us. But I would rather have a draft pick than a $$$$$Free agent$$$$$$. Then we can fill the holes with later rounds DT,OL, and WR. Later rounds have been good to us the last few years with diamonds in the rough. Thanks to our Scouts!!

I don't think we are going to pick a DE on the first day. Cerrato and Blache both have the opinion that you find good talent at those positions in the later rounds and that 1st and 2nd round picks on DE's are too prone to busts.

The talk of finding a true #1 WR intrigues me as well...I get the strange feeling that we are going to draft a WR with the top overall pick now. If that ends up being the case I don't know who to choose...the draft has many good WR's but personally I like Limas Sweed...he may not have the most speed in the world but it he can get a hand on the ball he usually catches it.

Gotta address DL in the first. All the top DTs will be gone so DE is the answer. Zorn will want some offensive talent, but I think we'll address WR through FA and try to draft his Hutchinson.

1st: Calais Campbell, DE

2nd: Brandon Albert, OG (if he and Chilo Rachal are gone, go with the top WR)

3rd: Justin King, CB (sleeper pick of the draft, local guy and explosive player)

5th - 7th: OL and Project Players

I would take Calias Campbell, he is still very young and raw but has all the physical attributes to be an elite DE in the NFL.

OR

Mario Manningham, in my opinion the best reciever in the draft and the additional weapon we are looking for. Not sure how tall, I'm think 6'2, bigger than Moss and El anyway. Moss, Manningham, El, and Cooley would be quite an arsenal for JC.

according to www.nfldraftcountdown.com, Mario Manningham is 6-0 178, no thanks, this is another Moss/El, while he does seem to be pretty good according to the #'s and such, he's another Smurf that we just don't need right now... And not as stout as either @ that weight. To me James Hardy has the best production of those listed in this thread. He's 6-7 220, here's breakdown on some top WR's listed on above website....

James Hardy (ranked #6) is 6-7 220lbs.:

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2004 DNP - - - -

2005 10 61 893 14.6 10

2006 10 51 722 14.2 10

2007 13 79 1,125 14.2 16

Total 33 191 2,740 14.3 36

That's 5.79 catches per game, 83 yards per game, and 1.1 TD per game

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mario Manningham (ranked #2) is 6-0 178lbs.:

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2005 12 27 433 16.0 6

2006 10 38 703 18.5 9

2007 12 72 1,174 16.3 12

Total 34 137 2,310 16.9 27

That's 4 catches per game played, 68 yards per game, .79 TD per game

Malcolm Kelly (ranked #3) is 6-4 219lbs.:

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2005 11 33 471 14.3 2

2006 14 62 993 16.0 10

2007 14 49 821 16.8 9

Total 39 144 2,285 15.9 21

That's 3.69 catches per game, 58.59 yards per game, and .54 TD per game

Limas Sweed (ranked #4) is 6-5 219lbs.:

Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD

2003 DNP - - - -

2004 11 23 263 11.4 0

2005 13 36 545 15.1 5

2006 13 46 801 17.4 12

2007 6 19 306 16.1 3

Totals 50 124 1,915 15.4 20

That's 2.48 catches per game, 38.3 yards per game, and .4 TD per game

I would therefore conclude that James Hardy is the surest/best option we could take based on #'s alone @ WR position. Let alone take into account that he's 6-7 and would give us the BIG WR we all desparately want. He's a guy that could/would move the chains on 3rd down (remember Art Monk) and give us another threat when we are in the red-zone. THIS IS THE WR we need to go after. Him, Mix, Moss and El will give us a diverse and talented WR corps for several more years. We can go the speed/smurf route in another 2-3 years.

What say you?

whatever they do they need defense. im not looking forward to another michael westbrook...

why? our glaring hole has been a number 1 wr for the past 45 years it seems. our defense was playing top ranked last year even with the loss of 21. what we need on defense is depth not a first round pick. our d-ends had 10 sacks from both sides of the ball, addressed lb's last year and have a solid core, with carlos' knee we have some concerns but don't need anything more than a 3rd rounder for depth purposes; reed isn't the greatest safety but he fills that need a lot better then....oh lets say....james thrash does at our number 3 receiver.

early doucet will be sitting on the board when our time comes and he fits our need better than any other prospect that will be left.

If I was Vinny, I would try to draft a top rated DB. Reasons is simple, Rogers suffered almost a career ending injury. Who knows if he will be truly a 100%. Also Shawn Springs is getting old, Shawn has been a great DB for us. But I would rather have a draft pick than a $$$$$Free agent$$$$$$. Then we can fill the holes with later rounds DT,OL, and WR. Later rounds have been good to us the last few years with diamonds in the rough. Thanks to our Scouts!!

All right you do realzie there will likely be 4 if not 5 of the top CBs gone by the time we pick? Need me to name them?

1. Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy State
  2. Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
  3. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, TSU
  4. Reggie Smith, CB/S, Oklahoma
  5. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
  6. Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

At least 4 if not 5 of these 6 guys will be gone before us I almost guarantee it. and if they aren't I imagine its cause a few guys really show they are inept at the combine and fall into the 2nd Round (all the better if you ask me). I think we need depth at CB more then a 1st Rounder right now.

why? our glaring hole has been a number 1 wr for the past 45 years it seems. our defense was playing top ranked last year even with the loss of 21. what we need on defense is depth not a first round pick. our d-ends had 10 sacks from both sides of the ball, addressed lb's last year and have a solid core, with carlos' knee we have some concerns but don't need anything more than a 3rd rounder for depth purposes; reed isn't the greatest safety but he fills that need a lot better then....oh lets say....james thrash does at our number 3 receiver.

early doucet will be sitting on the board when our time comes and he fits our need better than any other prospect that will be left.

What was Monk, Sanders, ClarK? Please... And we've missed on quite a Few WRs. Westbrook, Howard, Gardner, Jacobs...

whatever they do they need defense. im not looking forward to another michael westbrook...

:doh:

Right, lets never draft a WR, or any offensive player for that matter, again. WHAT IF ONE OF THEM TURNS INTO MICHAEL WESTBROOK! :excited:

----

My plan is to Draft Sweed/Kelly in the first, Groves in the 2nd, trade the 3rd and a player for DeAngelo Hall, and draft OL from thereon out for depth.

C'mon...are you serious? We had zero pass rush up the middle last season...and the season before. The Giants showed what an attacking d-line can do. Our d-line made Tony Homo a pro bowler!!

Archived