Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Important is the Character of the Coach ...?

preachtheWORD

The latest coaching search has been a stressful time to be a fan of the Skins. How do you replace a man like Joe Gibbs - a class act, a man of great character. While other coaches rant and rave on the sidelines, Gibbs was the picture of a gentleman. Joe Gibbs demonstrated his strength of character by leading the team through the Sean Taylor tragedy. Every player that was interviewed mentioned the strength and leadership of Coach Gibbs. He was a rock in the storm. He was, and still is, a man of character. He did not just talk about his Christian faith - he lived it. He embodied what it means to be a Redskin - hard work, fair play, respect, and ethics. When he resigned, I wondered if the Skins would be able to continue in the same way.

When the coaching search began I was personally hoping for Williams, and was shocked and discouraged when he was dismissed. He was a great coordinator, and no doubt the Jacksonville defense is lucky to have him. But the more I think about it, the less I regret his leaving. Williams learned a lot working under Gibbs, and came a long way in the "personality" department. But still, he was not quite a coach in the mold of Joe Gibbs. The hard work was there, but Williams was perhaps lacking in that quality of class and calm courage. Williams might have made a great Skins HC (we will never know), but he was not going to be another Gibbs.

Now for the real heart of this thread. As I learn more about our new coaches, espcially Zorn and Smith, I can see the depth of their character. From what I can see, these are men are much more along the line of Joe Gibbs. If my information is correct, both are committed Christians who live our their faith, just like Gibbs. Both are respectful, hardworking, and down to earth. I know that Zorn does not have experience as an HC, or even as an Offensive Coordinator (except for his two-week stint with us). As you may recall, Gibbs was a relatively unknown assistant when he was tapped to lead the Skins. Look what happened there. Although he did not have the "experience," he had the strength of character and the mind for the game, and he ushered in the Golden Age of Skins football.

I believe Zorn has many of the same qualities as Gibbs. It's too soon to say what kind of a HC he will be, but I can see incredible potential. He appears to have the character, integrity, respect, work ethic, and mind for the game to be great some day.

So, what do you think? How important do you think it is that we have a HC that will follow in footsteps of Joe Gibbs as a man of great character and calm leadership?

Personally, I could never see the Skins being successful with a sideline shouting, loud and boisterous, hot-under-the-collar coach. We need a man in the mold of Joe Gibbs, and I believe we may have him in Zorn.

I'm not too big on religion, but damn, the coaches that are true to their faith are true to their game. Gibbs, Dungy, and now hopefully Zorn as well. I do like Zorn's character, and that's why I'm looking past his allegiance to the maroon and black . . . . and yellow.

What a great first post, welcome to ES!

Thanks for the welcome, Cliche! :D

We need leaders with integrity and vision. I believe a man of great faith has a big advantage in leadership situations. Such a man has something to fall back on, no matter what my happen.

BY THE WAY ...

I have been on ExtremeSkins as a guest for months now, but I only became a member recently.

My first big question is When can I get a new Avatar? How many posts before I get upgraded from a "Cheerleader"?

BY THE WAY ...

I have been on ExtremeSkins as a guest for months now, but I only became a member recently.

My first big question is When can I get a new Avatar? How many posts before I get upgraded from a "Cheerleader"?

I think post #100 is the first time it changes. But your still something embarrassing.

:laugh:

Type away!

You are EXACTLY right. It is incredibly important to me to have the Gibbs character tradition followed. That's why I don't see "ocho cinco", pacman or any other "me" players making the roster. Of course, this is all predicated on how much say Coach Zorn has in the player acquisition process. Coaches in the mold of Gibbs and John Wooden become more than coaches to their players. They become role models, mentors, character builders and life changers.

I concur with NewCliche21, great post and welcome aboard.

Edit to add: You become a waterboy around 30 posts and let me tell you, it's made me feel GREAT! :)

If you point is that coaches need to be good people then yes I agree with that to a point. I do not think they need to be bible thumpers.

Bill Walsh

Bill Belichek

Bill Parcells

Chuck Noll

Don Shula

Mike Holmgren

All great coaches but not necessarily bible thumpers..

Character is important but not as important as people want to make it.

If you point is that coaches need to be good people then yes I agree with that to a point. I do not think they need to be bible thumpers.

Bill Walsh

Bill Belichek

Bill Parcells

Chuck Noll

Don Shula

Mike Holmgren

All great coaches but not necessarily bible thumpers..

Character is important but not as important as people want to make it.

FYI-Don Shula is a committed Christian.

I disagree. And, while you don't need to be a man of faith to have character, character is everything.

It is incredibly important to me to have the Gibbs character tradition followed. ... Coaches in the mold of Gibbs and John Wooden become more than coaches to their players. They become role models, mentors, character builders and life changers.

Wow ... You hit the nail right on the head. In the NFL, winning is very important ... but it is not the only thing.

Look at Belichick and the Patriots ... sure, they had a perfect record this season, but at what price? They sacrificed integrity for expediency, and all their records will come with an asterisk - if not officially, then in the minds of NFL fans.

We need coaches who can lead us to victory on the field, but who can also lead us with integrity off the field.

Here's to Zorn, Smith, and Blache becoming great leaders of men!

Wow ... You hit the nail right on the head. In the NFL, winning is very important ... but it is not the only thing.

Look at Belichick and the Patriots ... sure, they had a perfect record this season, but at what price? They sacrificed integrity for expediency, and all their records will come with an asterisk - if not officially, then in the minds of NFL fans.

We need coaches who can lead us to victory on the field, but who can also lead us with integrity off the field.

Here's to Zorn, Smith, and Blache becoming great leaders of men!

Amen to that. But, dangit, now I feel guilty for having not been to church in so long. Cut it out!:D

Character is needed the moment something goes wrong. People will rally behind men of character. They will not rally for bums. It's what finally did in Billick, for example. You can win without being a man of great character, but it's hard to be a winner for a prolonged period of time without integrity, stength, and dedication.

A coach need not be a "bible thumper" as you put it ... he doesn't even have to be a Christian or an adherant to any faith.

I just want a coach who is a pillar of strength and a model of self-control (in addition to being a football genius, of course.)

We don't yet know what kind of a HC Zorn will make, but I don't expect to see him shouting expletives at his players on the sidelines.

First, let me also say welcome to ES ... as more than a guest anyway! Noce to "meet" ya! :)

I agree with you that the character of the coach is vitally important.

Having a foundation of integrity, values and a moral compass permeates everything on the team ... from assistant coaches, to the players and to the staff.

It's certainly not a guaranteed recipe for success, but I sure like having my team led by a man with strength of character and a good reputation.

Jim Zorn has some big shoes to fill ... I certainly support him and hope the Redskins will excel with him at the helm.

Oh ... one more thing ... at 20 posts, you'll lose the cheerleader and morph into a waterboy. :silly:

Character is the bottom line. Without it, a coach has no credibility in the locker room.

Manny Acta seems to have established himself at age 38 as the leader in the Nationals' clubhouse during his first season :)

You don't have to bring in a veteran coach with a lot of bling to get the teams' attention and have a positive impact.

I have total respect for a man of faith, though I may not be one myself. However I do not believe there is a strong correlation with men of faith, and good coaches in football which it sounds like you are asserting.

-You mention the Patriots having an asterik next to all their names but they won't, this isn't the Barry Bonds case. The Patriots were caught cheating, and then went on to go 17-0 after that, though they did lose in the Superbowl.

-Also looking back on coaches on the past NFL superbowl's I don't know how many of them have been committed Christians, other than Dungy.

I liked the fact that I could learn so much more from Coach Gibbs than just football. He's someone I have never met, but I have spent enough time learning about him to look up to him as a man. I have drawn courage in difficult times in my life from the strength he has displayed facing adversity. Football aside, I will miss him coaching my team.

The thing I keep reading from people close to Zorn is first, how great a man he is, and his coaching abilities come second. Maybe he can be someone I look up to and try to learn life lessons from as well, we'll see. One way or another some lessons will be learned.

Joe Gibbs does a little on-line video every week and will email you a reminder when there is a new episode if requested. I like hearing from Coach Gibbs, he is a wise man.

http://www.joegibbsonline.com/onthefly.php?cat=9

Nice first post and welcome to ES. As far as your post count goes, it's the quality and not the quantity.

....However I do not believe there is a strong correlation with men of faith, and good coaches in football which it sounds like you are asserting.

I think you should reread his post because I don't see him asserting that at all. He's just saying he wants more out of a coach than just wins, and coaches like Gibbs bring character and he's hoping Zorn's tenure brings both integrity and victories...on and off the field.

Sorry, preach, didn't mean to speak on your behalf but I think we're on the same page.

PS: I guess I'll go to church next Sunday and get rid of this guilt. ;)

I have total respect for a man of faith, though I may not be one myself. However I do not believe there is a strong correlation with men of faith, and good coaches in football which it sounds like you are asserting.

-You mention the Patriots having an asterik next to all their names but they won't, this isn't the Barry Bonds case. The Patriots were caught cheating, and then went on to go 17-0 after that, though they did lose in the Superbowl.

-Also looking back on coaches on the past NFL superbowl's I don't know how many of them have been committed Christians, other than Dungy.

Let me make it clear that I am not suggesting that being a man of faith automatically makes you a great NFL coach. If that was true, we would be interviewing preachers for HC jobs, instead of football guys!

I takes much more than faith to be a great coach .... however a spiritual foundation can be a great asset.

By the way, Goodell recently revealed that the Pats have been taping opponents for years - at least as far back as their Superbowl verses the Rams, and perhaps as far bak as 2000.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-goodell-specter&prov=ap&type=lgns

kind of makes me rethink the Pats dynasty ....

Hey PTW,

Glad to have your thoughts and comments added to the discussion. I enjoy all perspectives and like yours as well.

As a Christian and believer for almost 20 years, I do believe that being a man (or woman) of solid faith provides an advantage - for several reasons. I think Coach Joe really understood this and I really hope Zorn understands this as well - especially in an environment like the pressure=packed NFL.

I think it boils down to this:

1. If you have your identity in Christ (this does not mean you are a robot, but you have yielded your will to do his will and he gives you the desires of your heart), then you will always know who you are and what you stand for. I think Gibbs and Dungy understand this. I dont think Bellicheck does (even though he is a "winner", he is willing to cheat to gain an edge) - so he has no character.

2. I think it helps to have peace in who you are and what your real purpose is when things go bad. You really see people's true character when the going gets rough.

3. Most importantly, as Christians, we are supposed to "work unto the Lord" which really means to do our absolute best in everything we attempt. That does mean hard work, sacrifice and commitemnt. Again, I think Gibbs and Dungy have shown this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Glad to have you aboard PTW. Look forward to any other musings you might have.

Now for the real heart of this thread. As I learn more about our new coaches, espcially Zorn and Smith, I can see the depth of their character. From what I can see, these are men are much more along the line of Joe Gibbs. If my information is correct, both are committed Christians who live our their faith, just like Gibbs. Both are respectful, hardworking, and down to earth.

-So I was extremely off in my assumption that you were asserting a man of faith is a good football coach. The logic of your posts goes as follows (from what it appears to me.) Joe Gibbs is a man of faith and has been a great HC for the Reskins organization and will go down as one of the all time greatest. You then continue to on to discuss the similarities Zorn and Smith share with Gibbs, by starting off with explaining how they are devout Christians. After that you go on to give a few cliche compliments you could give to almost any head coach (hard work, respectful, down to earth). Obviously not every coach fits that mold but many do. I am not against your post by any means I just feel that it asserted a man of faith would be a good HC, which I believe could be true but also it could be false, there is really no correlation.

I really don't know much about Mr. Zorn, and I have to admit he wasn't really my first choice as the new head coach. He wasn't even on my radar honestly, but I can accept him and will certainly give him a chance.

Following someone as successful, well-recognized and appreciated as Gibbs is going to be quite difficult. The amount of progress Gibbs made over his second tenure hopefully won't be washed away in an instant. Hiring someone reputedly of good character, and presumably good football acumen, looks initially to be a good decision by Snyder and Cerrato.

If this team has a rough period and a bad start like Gibbs did in his first year, then yes, good character will again come into play for Coach Zorn. The heat from the media, fans and possibly players, will certainly be a test for Zorn. And he's going to need his character to pull him through if bad times come calling.

Archived