Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Lawsuit Seeks Compensation for Super Bowl Loss

jimster

APNewsNow: Lawsuit Seeks Compensation for Super Bowl Loss

http://sports.iwon.com/news/02152008/v9075.html

Feb 15, 5:35 PM (ET) Email this Story

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -A lawsuit filed Friday by a former St. Louis Rams player and others seeks millions of dollars in damages from the alleged taping of Rams practices by the New England Patriots before the 2002 Super Bowl.

The Patriots won the game 20-17 in the Superdome.

The $100 million suit, filed on behalf of former Rams player Willie Gary in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, names the Patriots, team owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick.

I strongly hope he has evidence to prove the allegation. Rumors have been flying around but you can't sue on rumors.
The commish destroyed the evidence. Made Arlen Specter mad.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/01/goodell-explains-why-the-nfl-destroyed-evidence-specter-probab/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/16/sports/football/16spy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I'm not a lawyer, but aren't the standards for evidence in a Civil Case different then a Criminal? It might be hard to prove, but maybe they could compel walsh to testify.

Since it's a civil action, they don't have to prove as much. It's preponderance of the evidence here, as in, they just have to prove that the defendants "more likely than not" did the alleged action.

ALso, since I havent followed too well what Arlen Specter has done v. the NFL, I'm not sure what discovery has been made. In this case now, each side will be entitled to the discovery process if this case moves on, which would help bring up more potential evidence.

I'm not sure if they'll actually receive any monetary damages, but the discovery process will hopefully have some stuff show up.

ALso, since I havent followed too well what Arlen Specter has done v. the NFL, I'm not sure what discovery has been made. In this case now, each side will be entitled to the discovery process if this case moves on, which would help bring up more potential evidence.

well, he did get Goodell to admit that they have been doing it since 2000 - the same year Bellicheck became HC.

I really feel bad for the Rams, Panthers and Eagles. All 3 SB wins were by 3 points. All 3 SB's the Pats were trailing in the first half and then like magic they turned it around in the second half. Only in this last SB they couldn't pull it out. Imagain that. Complete joke of a franchise, coach and owner. I hope they get those trophies taken away some how.

Since it's a civil action, they don't have to prove as much. It's preponderance of the evidence here, as in, they just have to prove that the defendants "more likely than not" did the alleged action.

I'm not sure if they'll actually receive any monetary damages, but the discovery process will hopefully have some stuff show up.

Exactly, Civil Lawsuits aren't like other court cases.

For instance, (I'm not trying to get into an OJ argument), but OJ was declared innocent in court of allegedly killing his wife.

HOWEVER, he was still sued in civil court and convicted in CIVIL court of killing his wife. Does he go to jail? Nope.

Did he lose a boatload of money? you betcha.

I really feel bad for the Rams, Panthers and Eagles. All 3 SB wins were by 3 points. All 3 SB's the Pats were trailing in the first half and then like magic they turned it around in the second half. Only in this last SB they couldn't pull it out. Imagain that. Complete joke of a franchise, coach and owner. I hope they get those trophies taken away some how.

If you are going to make a lame argument, at least get your facts straight.

Patriots were winning 14-3 against the Rams. http://www.nfl.com/scores?season=2001&week=Super+Bowl

Up 14-10 against the Panthers. http://www.nfl.com/scores?season=2003&week=Super+Bowl

They were tied 7-7 against the Eagles. http://www.nfl.com/scores?season=2004&week=Super+Bowl

This year, they were winning 10-7 at halftime.

The bottom line is they won because they executed. This year, they lost because the Giants executed. If they did gain an advantage from this, then they should be punished even more than they already have been. I don't know what good a lawsuit would do. But as some others said, it may just force out some more information through the legal system. But to think they somehow turned around their games at halftime because they received some more information from taping, is ludicrous.

The Redskins should file a lawsuit against the Raiders for cheating in Super Bowl XVIII.

Two guys were caught video taping one of the Redskins practices in Tampa from a house across the street from the college they were practicing from and what about the small plane that kept circling around the practice fields while the Redskins were going through there walk-through that Gibbs talked about before.

Why do you think Gibbs made all the players switch jerseys while they practiced for both Super Bowls XXII and XXVI then???

Oh so true.

I think asterisks are appropriate.

Archived