Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roy williams still available?

BthatRAD09

Latest update:

http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2008/02/dont_expect_roy_williams_to_be.html

Don't expect Roy Williams to be traded

Posted by Tom Kowalski February 07, 2008 18:53PM

Don't believe the recent rumors you hear about Lions receiver Roy Williams getting traded.

Oh, the Lions will entertain trade offers for Williams but, according to a source close to the situation, the Lions will only pull the trigger on a deal if there's overwhelming value for Detroit. Williams is on the trading block, but not the same block as defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. The Lions want to part with Rogers if they get decent value and there's more motivation for head coach Rod Marinelli to move on without Rogers.

It's an entirely different situation with Williams, who has one more year on his contract. Williams is expected to leave Detroit via free agency in 2009 because, barring an unforeseen situation, he won't be tagged as the franchise player. The Lions will listen to offers now, but would prefer to get at least one more stellar year out of Williams.

According to the source, the Lions believe the departure of offensive coordinator Mike Martz will make Williams a happier player in 2008 and might be instrumental in getting him to return in 2009. It's another reason why the Lions won't deal Williams unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

------

That said, I'd rather have Williams for a 2nd rounder than Chad Johnson for a 1st. However, ideally we can just build through the draft and establish some good young talent.

I sure hope so. I was on the CJ wagon however the more I thought about it I realized he really wouldnt fit. Rod Woodson said it best "Chris cooley had 63 catches. Johnson is used to 90+ and can he really handle the -30 in catches" so I think Roy would be good because he would understand his role. He looks like the type who would step into the "We need you to get double covered so you can make our other guys look amazing and use you in the redzone alot" type role

I like Roy Williams but I don't see why we'd trade for him. We can simply wait a year and outbid other teams for his services. A second round pick should be a very good player at a very manageable salary.

I know, I know. Our draft history is checkered, at best. But for the last 5 years or so, we've done okay with the higher picks. Besides, if the problem is not drafting well, cascading draft picks out the window isn't a way to solve the problem.

I would like to see us deal for Rogers AND Williams. If we can do it and somehow keep our 1st or 2nd rounder we would be filling in two huge needs and still have a pick to deal with depth.

Williams is a special athlete, reminds me of a younger TO and would be a much better fit than ocho cinqo. With the age and the fact we would only have to give up a 2nd rounder as opposed to the 1st for Johnson, I would rather have a younger more physical talent than the aging less athletic CJ.

I wonder if Detroit has any interest in Griffin.

Saving our no. 1 pick for a WR makes so much more sense. I don't want a trouble-maker like Chad Johnson on my team. You know what's great about Gibbs' legacy? He has and had the team caring about one another.....why bring in a selfish and arrogant guy like Johnson to disrupt things? We can draft a guy just as good....and a player with a good team attitude.

I sure hope so. I was on the CJ wagon however the more I thought about it I realized he really wouldnt fit. Rod Woodson said it best "Chris cooley had 63 catches. Johnson is used to 90+ and can he really handle the -30 in catches" so I think Roy would be good because he would understand his role. He looks like the type who would step into the "We need you to get double covered so you can make our other guys look amazing and use you in the redzone alot" type role

That is a bunch of crap!! Just because Rod Woodson said something doesn't mean that he is right. If Chad Johnson came here there would be enough balls to be caught especially with the WCO being implemented here under Zorn. Not only would he be happy but he wants to win a championship and he feels he will not win one in Cincy. He feels that Washington has the talent and that he is the missing piece of the puzzle. So does Dan Snyder. So don't be surprised that OCHO CINCO is a Washington Redskinby Training camp if not sooner.

I still don't understand why people want to trade for Roy . . . Sure, he is big, has great hands, and can be that possession receiver we haven't seen in years . . . but really . . . do we want a player who is a huge Dallas fan? lol

He is from Odessa, and is very open about the fact that he is a cowboy fan . . . in fact, didn't he say a few months ago that he ultimately wants to go play for them?

I usually don't make these kind of threads about a player's loyalties . . . but come on . . . this needed to be said.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't trade for CJ or RW but what does Cooley's catch totals have to do with CJ's? Cooley is a TE not a WR. He was asked to stay in and block most plays towards the end of the season. CJ would not be lined up inside, he would be out running routes. Coles had over 90 catches for us his last season. Our problem has been our recievers are made of glass. How many games did ARE and SM BOTH start in last year? Hell, Lloyd doesn't even play and he managed to get hurt.

I would like to see us deal for Rogers AND Williams. If we can do it and somehow keep our 1st or 2nd rounder we would be filling in two huge needs and still have a pick to deal with depth.

Williams is a special athlete, reminds me of a younger TO and would be a much better fit than ocho cinqo. With the age and the fact we would only have to give up a 2nd rounder as opposed to the 1st for Johnson, I would rather have a younger more physical talent than the aging less athletic CJ.

I wonder if Detroit has any interest in Griffin.

are you joking? rogers cant stay on the field more for more than 2 plays and hes sucking wind. 5th roundre only

are you joking? rogers cant stay on the field more for more than 2 plays and hes sucking wind. 5th roundre only

Joking about what; throwing in Rogers in a deal for williams or acquiring him in general?

I think its almost a certainty that we are going to part ways with Griffin this offseason, fat or not Rogers is still a good PT run stopper.

We have an entirely new offensive game plan going in next year. WCO = lots more passing.

are you kidding me? Roy Williams? awful.

Roy Williams

245 catches

yards 3,652

TD's 28

Ocho Cinco

catches 559

yards 8,365

TD's 49

Bro, keep in mind that Roy Williams has had Joey Harrington, Jeff Garcia, and Jon Kitna throwing to him, behind probably the WORST offensive line in the league. Versus Chad's has had Carson Palmer and Jon Kitna throwing to him (mostly Palmer) behind a pretty decent offensive line. Despite that, Roy Williams has still performed quite well as the #1.

Still kinda confused on why Martz leaving would make Williams happy. If anything, Martz's pass happy offense ideally is the kind of system that mades any good WR happy. :whoknows:

Guest NebraSKIN

I would actually prefer Williams over 85.... Roy plays a more physical game, thus he would be a better fit to catch those little WCO slants across the middle.

Plus we would have a Roy Williams as well. Would be fun to hear about leading up to games vs Dallas.

Archived