Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If You Guys Don't want A. Mix Anymore...

WashingtonFederals

He sure was a hell of a special teams player....im definitly interested in seeing what he can do offensively.

How does one quantify a "hell of a special teams player?" I see 8 tackles for Mix in 5 games. Is that what qualifies as "great?"

Just wondering, since it seems we have Thrash, Cartwright, Jimoh and Mix who are all irreplaceable and/or "a hell of a player" on special teams...

With all of these great special teams players, its a wonder we ever give up a return! :laugh:

Special teams guys, ideally, are young, hungry guys who play their butts off to get "real" playing time. Washed up players like Thrash, as well as scrappy but underathletic positions players like Rock and Jimoh, should be cut to make way for guys who play a real position, not just punt coverage lane control. That is how you build depth, not by keeping around marginal players, who will never grow into stars, and who barely make the field at their position. We already have three of these guys, kicker, punter and snapper. We should keep one of the four players listed above, no more.

I realize the importance of special teams, but I am not naive enough to believe that James Thrash is the only one capable of downing a punt, or Rock is the only one that could run a KO back for a TD.

I thought he did an awesome job on Special Teams and if his usefuleness as a WR doesn't pan out, I'd still like to keep him around for ST's. He seems like the next James Thrash to me. And I for one like Thrash.:2cents::point2sky

AND... He's bigger than Thrash AND... he will give use serious depth at WR, H, and possibly TE. What a pickup!

Why would you dispense with Caldwell ??

JLC said he was having problems with his knees

Brandon Lloyd is almost certain to be released, according to sources who have talked to Snyder and Cerrato. Veteran Keenan McCardell is also unlikely to be back. James Thrash, a special teams standout for Gibbs, might not return, and concerns over chronic knee problems could mean that reserve Reche Caldwell also will not be re-signed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/11/AR2008021102433_2.html?nav=emailpage&sid=ST2008021102877

Basically we will have a whole new receiver corp. I would say Mix, Espy, and whoever our "elite receiver" will be

I'm not really sure why there is so much anymosity toward the Mix bandwagon.

Take Reche Caldwell for instance. Check the recent post asking why we would consider releasing Caldwell.

Now ask yourself this, why didn't Reche Caldwell even dress for the first month that he was on the team? It was because he doesn't play special teams.

Why did Anthony Mix dress and see the field after 1 week with the team? It was because he plays special teams.

My point is, don't write Mix off as having no offensive upside simply because he hasn't cracked the starting WR unit. It took Caldwell a month to gain enough confidence in coaches to let him play, and then when he did, he performed adequately.

If Mix isn't getting looks in the pre-season, then I would be concerned. But I think the coaches know they stole him from the Giants. And I think they are going to see if they can turn him into a jumpball type of receiver.

At worst, he can be a red zone target and a good blocking WR (key in WCO ;))

How does one quantify a "hell of a special teams player?" I see 8 tackles for Mix in 5 games. Is that what qualifies as "great?"

Just wondering, since it seems we have Thrash, Cartwright, Jimoh and Mix who are all irreplaceable and/or "a hell of a player" on special teams...

With all of these great special teams players, its a wonder we ever give up a return! :laugh:

Special teams guys, ideally, are young, hungry guys who play their butts off to get "real" playing time. Washed up players like Thrash, as well as scrappy but underathletic positions players like Rock and Jimoh, should be cut to make way for guys who play a real position, not just punt coverage lane control. That is how you build depth, not by keeping around marginal players, who will never grow into stars, and who barely make the field at their position. We already have three of these guys, kicker, punter and snapper. We should keep one of the four players listed above, no more.

I realize the importance of special teams, but I am not naive enough to believe that James Thrash is the only one capable of downing a punt, or Rock is the only one that could run a KO back for a TD.

I tried to find yearly leaders in ST tackles, but was unable to find them. I think 8 tackles in 5 games is good. I think at one point Rock led the team with 31 tackles in 16 games. Also, ST's is more than tackles. Blocking, downing the ball, etc. are just as important.

You can gladly have him, for a 7th round pick...

We can find another slow, big guy to catch one ball per game...

But he doesn't play slow. He needs to improve on his routes but that comes with repetition, Mix is a fine. He can do things after the catch. Plus, he doesn't mind getting dirty.

You can gladly have him, for a 7th round pick...

We can find another slow, big guy to catch one ball per game...

care to elaborate? proof of being slow and shown offensive series besides running plays?

have you seen him play when given the opportunity (giants)...the guy is young and catches anything around him, not to mention tall and physical. The reason the Giants dumped him is because they have Plax as a big possession receiver, and Bradshaw was fumbling too much on ST. So then they brought in Hixon and had to free up room.

Slow? of course he's slow (better 40 time out of college than Chad Johnson), 10.5 100 yard isn't too shabby either.

he was the first one downfield against Seattle to recover the Kick-off. Not to mention his poor foot/hand mechanics on stayin infront of Hester on coverage while forcing a fumble and making a couple key tackles.

But quickness, awareness, and being physical don't really matter for a big possession receiver in the NFL.

I find it funny how everyone says stuff on how he is slow, can't catch or run routes when they haven't seen him play. Ask any Giants or Auburn fan on what they think of him - they have seen him.

We'll give you Lloyd and Mix for your 1st and 2nd this year and your 1st next year. And we'll throw in Vinny as a consolation prize.

Lloyd???

No thanks, we'd rather have a TE, who can play nice with the QB, and shut his face in the locker room, that's Why I'd prefer throwing in Cooley, for Shox...

I also figured the Lefty/lefty thing would be a coaches fantasy, but oh well...

Ok...

Mix, Cooley, and you can give us Brunnell, rather than dump him in the parking lot...

The Giants will give you Shockey, Moss2, RW McQuarters, Lorenzen, and our 3rd round pick...

Also, we'll forgive you for not warning us about Arrington...

But in turn, you need to petition the NFL to add Doug Williams/Earnest Byner's USFL stats to their career #'s...

have you seen him play when given the opportunity (giants)...the guy is young and catches anything around him, not to mention tall and physical. The reason the Giants dumped him is because they have Plax as a big possession receiver, and Bradshaw was fumbling too much on ST. So then they brought in Hixon and had to free up room.

Slow? of course he's slow (better 40 time out of college than Chad Johnson), 10.5 100 yard isn't too shabby either.

he was the first one downfield against Seattle to recover the Kick-off. Not to mention his poor foot/hand mechanics on stayin infront of Hester on coverage while forcing a fumble and making a couple key tackles.

But quickness, awareness, and being physical don't really matter for a big possession receiver in the NFL.

I find it funny how everyone says stuff on how he is slow, can't catch or run routes when they haven't seen him play. Ask any Giants or Auburn fan on what they think of him - they have seen him.

:applause:

Right on.

we'll forgive you for not warning us about Arrington...

I don't know what we could have said that would have prevented the Achilles injury.

Maybe someone could have said that he had 2 botched knee surgeries (while with the skins) prior to the 2005 season (or during, I can't remember)...

Still, I think Lavar got shafted here. (IMO) He was one heck of an athlete, one tough guy and a tremendous competitor, plus a nice guy. You can't predict or prevent injuries.

But in turn, you need to petition the NFL to add Doug Williams/Earnest Byner's USFL stats to their career #'s...

No problem there.

Archived