Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HOF- More deserving: Clark or B. Mitchell?

Monk in the Hall!

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think Grimm is the next Skins' HOF'er. Hopefully Jacoby just behind... (hopefully before the Seniors vote him in). Then after that, it becomes a bit tricky.

Who deserves it more- Clark or Mitchell?

I have to go with Clark on this one. As someone who lived thru the late 80s and early 90 teams, Clark was the man (and this comes from someone who has Monk in his log in).

But an argument can be made that Mitchell is a lot like Monk. The big caveat to the comparison is that a WR is much more important than a kick returner- as a rule. (Hester fans aside). But Mitchell has shattered records for his position. If a kicker gets in, should not the most prolific returner.

Have to go with Clark because he was so crucial. B. Mitch was a luxury- Clark was the Man for a 6-7 year stretch.

The question is not so much do either deserve to get in- but who deserves to get in more.

As great a special teams player as Mitchell was, I think being on special teams means you get lesser consideration.

Clark has to get the nod. I'm kind of surprised all those geniuses who voted in Irvin overlooked the fact that Clark has similar numbers AND big-game performances (something they claimed, incorrectly, Monk didn't have.)

Check out this article on Gary Clark: http://www.thehogs.net/History/legends/clark.html

He retired in 1995 after eleven NFL seasons. He finished his career with 699 receptions, 10,856 yards, 65 touchdowns, and managed 27 100-plus yard receiving games for the Washington Redskins. He was of course named to the 70 Greatest Redskins list in 2002.

Whether running laps around the stadium, or doing touchdown leaps with other members of The Posse, it was Clark's fire and grit that set him apart. He was named to the All-Madden team an impressive eight times for his tenacity and for his toughness. John Madden saw it all along, Gary Clark was always a true Redskin legend.

Notable Achievements

» Two Time Super Bowl Winner

» Four Time Pro Bowler

» Two Time Redskin MVP

» Four Time All Pro

» Eight Time All Madden Team

» Member of the All Madden Super Bowl Team

» Led The Redskins in Receptions four out of 8 yrs

» Was first or 2nd in receptions for the redskins 6 out of 8 yrs

» Led the Redskins in Receiving Yardage 6 out of 8 yrs

» Was first or 2nd in receiving yardage 7 out of 8 yrs

» Finished NFL Career as the 8th All Time Leading Receiver in NFL History in receptions

» Finished NFL Career as the 7th All Time Leading Receiver in NFL History in receing yards

» Considered by many as the toughest Redskin receiver to ever go across the middle of the field

Has Gary Clark even been on the HOF radar? I think Brian Mitchell has a better chance of getting in just because he obviously is one of the best ever at his position, and Gary Clark has a lot of competition to go against. He would be just as deserving as Clark as he played a tough position and only missed one game his entire career.

From my heart? Gary Clark. One of my favorites as a kid. He seemed like a tough son of a *****. Always there when we needed him. My head says Mitchell though. Doesent he have like the most combined yards of all time? I never really liked him as much. Always seemed to be an arrogant prick. Even worse now. Hell, I liked Mike Nelms better.

I don't think Clark has a chance....look how long it took Monk. A lot of lobbying will be required and maybe, just maybe, the veterans committee will work it years from now.

Mitchell has a better chance IMO. However, he too may be a victim of numbers. There are a lot of players battling for just a few slots. Most every team has a at least one "Art Monk" that has been overlooked. It really is an honor to get in because it is so tough.

I've gotta disagree with the majority on this one. I love Clark as much as anyone but Mitchell was the best at his position. He's the second all time career combined yardage leader(behind only Jerry Rice) and he still has the record for most kick return touchdowns in a career.(Which Devin Hester should soon break but that doesn't diminish Mitchell)

It'll be tough for both to get in because Clark is overshadowed by so many others and Mitchell becsuse they just don't put special teams players in. But for my money, Mitchell was the best at his position and should be in the hall over Clark. Just my $.02

Go look at Mitchell's stats...there is no one even close in total kick reutrn yards or punt return...sure there have been more electric retunrmen...Dieon...Hester, etc...but for longevity and total yards...there is no one even close.

B Mitch should be in the HOF...he may be a punk as a radio guy, but dues...he is second to none statistically. He was also a very importnat part of our 91' team.

Brian Mitchell will get in the HOF way before Clark will. I like Clark, but it's going to take some time to get him in as a WR. Brian Mitchell will probably get in first or second ballot.

He was well known as a kick returner, and is the NFL's second all time leader in total yardage (23,330), thanks in large part to his 14,014 yards from kickoff returns and his 4,999 punt return yards. Both are NFL records. He also rushed for 1,967 yards on 388 carries(avg. 5.1 rushing yards), caught 255 passes for 2,336 yards, recovered 20 fumbles for 14 return yards, and scored 29 touchdowns (4 kickoff returns, 9 punt returns, 12 rushing, 4 receiving). His 13 special teams touchdowns are also an NFL record. His 9 punt return touchdowns are 2nd behind Eric Metcalf(10). He is also one of only four players to record four seasons of over 2,000 total yards, (the others being Marshall Faulk, Dante Hall and Tiki Barber) and missed out on a fifth by only five yards. One overlooked stat of Brian Mitchell is that his average rushing yards(5.1) are more than Barry Sanders(5.0).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Mitchell_(running_back)

The only guy that will knock off B. Mitchell will be Devon Hester, if he plays long enough.

Hall of Fame - Jacoby, Grimm , Clark

Possible Hall of Fame but will have a very hard time getting in- Doug Williams, Brian Mitchell, Jim Lachey, Joe Theisman, Earnest Byner, Jeff Bostic, Charles Mann, Dexter Manley, Monte Coleman, and Wilbur Marshall.

Clark was the reason so many of the HoF voters used to keep Monk out so logically you would think he should be considered . Though logic apparently has little to do with the HoF .

Mitchell for my money was a good/great player but not HoF... he was is what people said of Monk , he was a complier. Not taking anything away from his accomplishments as a player but the numbers are bloated by the length of his career . The PR/KR guys are people who use special teams to propel them into the starting line up but Mitchell never really played a huge role in the offense .. he was limited as a 3rd down back and when his role was expanded beyond that he was shown to be lacking .

Archived