Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Pierce Present Clouded by Past

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/31/AR2008013103478_pf.html

Pierce's Happy Present Remains Clouded by Past

Giant's Anger Lingers Over Exit From Redskins

By Les Carpenter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 1, 2008; E06

CHANDLER, Ariz., Jan. 31 -- Life in the middle age of a professional football career cannot be finer than when you are sitting at a Super Bowl interview table wearing your jersey and facing the frenzy of questions that come from all sides. All of them about you.

And so New York Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce leaned back in a chair at the Sheraton White Horse Resort on Thursday afternoon and smiled wide for the cameras.

"I'm happy to be in [New York] and at the Super Bowl," he said.

But it never seems to take long before his mind goes back to a place four hours to the south, to Redskins Park, a home he thought he had found seven years ago and a team that suddenly didn't seem to want him two years ago. And then the smile disappears, and his voice bounces from one tinged with fondness to confusion and anger.

Maybe his feelings about the Washington Redskins are still not clear. He is hurt, but he is happy. He blasts the owner, Daniel Snyder, yet still calls him "Mr. Snyder," the way so many people do at Redskins Park.

"I still have respect for the man," Pierce said. "I just don't like the way he does business."

Pierce always wanted to stay in Washington. By the time his contract came up after the 2004 season, he figured he had done enough to prove he could be the team's future at linebacker. Contracts were discussed, but in the end, the Redskins did not sign him, worrying about needed additions to their offense.

Pierce was allowed to leave and signed with the Giants, where he has developed into a solid starting linebacker and a media darling in a city that embraces players who sparkle for the cameras.

Plus, Pierce got a contract that pays him $26 million over six years. His new life should be a dream come true.

Yet he remains haunted and perplexed by the Redskins experience.

He said he has spoken with several Washington players, and all of them are confused by what is going on with the search for a head coach. According to Pierce, the defensive players are happy that Greg Blache will be the defensive coordinator, since it means they will continue to do some of the same things they did the last few years, which develops a comfort level.

But they also are disturbed by the indecision of management and the fact that opposing players are calling them, wondering who will take a job as a head coach on a team where the coordinators have been determined.

"I just don't understand the mind-set of that organization," Pierce said. "What you need to have in this league is an identity. They don't have an identity. They haven't done anything to keep something going. Joe Gibbs was supposed to bring consistency, but now he's not there anymore, so you think they would hire Gregg Williams or Al Saunders to keep the continuity, but now both of those guys are gone. I look at the turnover, and I'm amazed...

Click link for full story

This article actually gave me a different perspective on the guy. He clearly wanted to be back. We all knew that. Hard to blame him for taking the money. But he still feels strong binds to this franchise. Whether it be players (probably. he seems close with a bunch and it seems hard to imagine that same bond with the Giants) or fans (I've lived in NYC, but I never saw any kind of Giants fans community).

I never really thought of it as a mistake until I watched him more closely this year. He's certainly the leader of that defense, and I think that says a lot when you consider some of the guys on that defense (Strahan, Sam Madison, Osi, Demps).

Mods, Im sorry but cant take it more.

I'm getting sick and tired of this ****ing prick.

I wish he would shut the **** up. Whats wrong with this dude? He is acting like a little punk *** *****. Antonio.......shut the **** up.

We offered him a lucrative deal and he turned it down.

Why does he always got something to say about us. worry about your own team.

Focus on the Superbowl and Tom brady.

The thing that bothers me the most is that, no player from the skins has came and told this dude to mind his biz.

If I played for the skins, I would step to this dude and knock his punk *** the **** out.

This dude stay running his mouth. He is like a woman scorned.

I got a message for you antonio....................... PULL YOUR SKIRT UP AND STOP WHINING LIKE A *****.

PUNK!!!!!!!!!!

God I wish I played for the skins.

Mods, Im sorry but cant take it more.

I'm getting sick and tired of this ****ing prick.

I wish he would shut the **** up. Whats wrong with this dude? He is acting like a little punk *** *****. Antonio.......shut the **** up.

We offered him a lucrative deal and he turned it down.

Why does he always got something to say about us. worry about your own team.

Focus on the Superbowl and Tom brady.

The thing that bothers me the most is that, no player from the skins has came and told this dude to mind his biz.

If I played for the skins, I would step to this dude and knock his punk *** the **** out.

This dude stay running his mouth. He is like a woman scorned.

I got a message for you antonio....................... PULL YOUR SKIRT UP AND STOP WHINING LIKE A *****.

PUNK!!!!!!!!!!

God I wish I played for the skins.

But, could you tell us how you really feel?

Why so much hate for Pierce? He obviously wanted badly to remain a Redskin and still carries a connection to the franchise. It's flattering, not infuriating.

He was angry at Snyder's pattern of paying people outside of the organization top dollar while failing to appreciate the talent he has. I got news for you guys: HE'S RIGHT TO FEEL THAT WAY!

Ugh. Too many unobjective fanboys around here since the Redskins.com merger.

Pierce was/is a beast.

What was the offer he turned down from the Skin's?

We literally offered a deal that was about $1million-$2million less over the life of the contract. If he REALLY wanted to stay, he could have, which in my eyes is the opposite of a true Redskin.

It's a lot easier to talk when you're play behind that defensive line. Franchises look out for their own best interest. Pierce showed up for one year. We gave him an offer that most undrafted free agents would have jumped at.

Props to the Giants for offering him a contract that he deserved, but at that time it was a pretty sizable gamble. It would have been classic Snyder overspending.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

One thing that is certain... the Redskins should be the farthest from Pierce's mind right now.

All that needs to be said is that:

We decided to pay Lavar Arrington instead of Champ Bailey.

We decided to pay Brandon Lloyd instead of Antonio Pierce.

:doh:

1. LA vs. CB- the right move. A stud linebacker is far more valuable and LaVar had much more of an impact for us than Toomer's ***** did. It's not LaVar's fault he got hurt and then was subjected to one of the worst coaches I've ever seen in Dale Lindsey and so wanted to get out of here.

2. BL vs. AP- huh? Apples and Oranges. Pierce did not resign in the 05 offseason, while BL signed in 06. Your point would be stronger if you mentioned a receiver we signed in 05. So instead of taking the easy shot at Brandon Lloyd, you should have said this- "The Skins decided to pay Santana Moss that offseason instead of Antonio Pierce."

But you probably like Santana right? And happy he's here right?

Archived