Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Pierce Present Clouded by Past

Pierce has a different story every time he is interviewed. First it was how he was mad because it took him a few years to become a starter and he wanted to leave the organization. Now he says he never wanted to leave......Mr. Pierce, just stop whining already and enjoy the butt-kicking you'll be receiving this Sunday.

There were times where he just came off as a scorned prick since his Redskins days...but I have no problem with what the man said here. Maybe the truth hurts, comming form an ex Skin and a current Giant that is in the Superbowl. This team, most notably the front office does make bad moves in business, not having value for their own players always going for the FA pick up etc.

Whether many of you like it or not this team does lack an identity. Coach Gibbs gave them a little bit, and even then between Gibbs calling plays or Saunders calling plays etc. There was confusion and a lack of identity still..the Defense had some with Gregg and now he's gone. Hopefully Blache can keep it going. It shouldn't take the tragic death of a dear friend, and teamate to galvanize a team.

I'm a bit puzzled too but I'm along from the ride because I'm a Redskins fan, always have been, always will be. It's out of my hands, I only hope we return to prominence sooner than later.

I read his comments. It is nothing new from him. He's had a bone to pick with the organization since he signed with the Giants instead of us. Also, he's always been a big fan of Gregg Williams, so his support of him isn't a surprise either.

Fact is, with Gibbs leaving, things are going to change. (And let me stress, most of the change that has happened the past few years have been people deciding to leave, not Snyder choosing for them to leave.) Snyder needs to do what is best in the long-term for his team.

Jason

I agree and the funny thing to me is that at the time the Redskins defense was performing badly it was Greg Williams' "stubbornness" that let guys like Pierce get away and we were so ready to get rid of him. But now that we did not hire our guy (the same guy) the finger is pointed at Snyder and his "inability to manage the team" for losing players like Pierce.

Didn't the Skins just make the playoffs? Haven't they done so 2 of the last 3 years?

Why would AP think we were losers, when the D finished top 3 his last year, and while the offense struggled, there were only 2 games all season where we lost by more than a TD. The Skins had a chance to win most every game, just like this past season. Those aren't signs of losers, those are signs of a team that is a piece or 2 short from becoming annual contenders.

we are a long way from a piece or 2 from contender

But we could afford to give the aforementioned Lloyd's, Archuletta's, and Randle El's of the football world those fat contracts, right?

BTW. I like El, but he's not worth the contract.

It was a year later and if any one of them had wanted more the first 2 or 3 season we would not have been able to affored them

The following year, when the cap situation was better.

I agree El shouldn't have as large of a contract, but I think he will go the same route as other players, with salary deferment each year.

The contract numbers are deceiving though. We shipped Arch out of here with no cap penalty, and got a draft pick for him, albeit a low one. I would imagine Lloyd is going the same route. Can't hit on all them unfortunately.

Actually he was on the books for 4.5 million of our 15 some million in dead money this year

That's a nice little story you have here. To bad it's factually incorrect.

That 14.25 number you have for Bailey? You're making it sound like that was the whole contract. When in fact, the last offer Bailey turned down before the Portis trade was an 8 year deal worth 55 million with a 14.7 million dollar signing bonus.

That wasn't enough for Champ, so he was replaced by Springs for a 6 year, 30 million deal with a 10 million dollar signing bonus.

If you never trade Champ (who wanted out, I don't know why everybody always seems to forget that), you would still have to sign a running back. There's no way Gibbs was starting his tenure with Trung Canidate as the feature back. So Portis's money would have gone to a different running back anyway, not Antonio Pierce.....

9 yrs 55 million he wanted a 20 million dollar bonus and wanted more money in the first years of the contract

He was angry at Snyder's pattern of paying people outside of the organization top dollar while failing to appreciate the talent he has. I got news for you guys: HE'S RIGHT TO FEEL THAT WAY!

Absolutely he has a right to feel the way he does.

Dan's failure to appreciate talent has not changed. This year, we replaced Saunders and Gregg Williams.

We literally offered a deal that was about $1million-$2million less over the life of the contract. If he REALLY wanted to stay, he could have, which in my eyes is the opposite of a true Redskin.

were talking about 1 or 2 million. not singles. Duude 1 mill is alot of f***ing money!

Pierce has a different story every time he is interviewed. First it was how he was mad because it took him a few years to become a starter and he wanted to leave the organization. Now he says he never wanted to leave......Mr. Pierce, just stop whining already and enjoy the butt-kicking you'll be receiving this Sunday.

Could you provide a link to where he said he wanted to leave because it took him so long to become a starter?

Archived