Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just Say No To Meeks

3CardMonte

I agree...Bob Sanders IS that defense. Someone on the first page posted the Defense of the Colts since Meeks and I have to say if they had a top 10 defense (they would of won more than just last years superbowl)...2 top 10 D's in Meeks 6 years there (along with the rest being around 15-20.

And is this the same D that is so great to let backups easily march downfield on them IN THE PLAYOFFS?

I agree...Bob Sanders IS that defense. Someone on the first page posted the Defense of the Colts since Meeks and I have to say if they had a top 10 defense (they would of won more than just last years superbowl)...2 top 10 D's in Meeks 6 years there (along with the rest being around 15-20.

And is this the same D that is so great to let backups easily march downfield on them IN THE PLAYOFFS?

They were missing their top passing rushing DE in Dwight Freeney, and missing arguably their best DT in Booger McFarland. To do as well as they have done this year with the personnel they have is quite amazing. San Diego won the battle in the trenches though, that offensive line took over that game.

Dude, come on thats just crazy. So where does points on the scoreboard in your young mind come of importance in a game? Knowing you must score often possibly every chance when playing the colts in the past few years you cant say teams do not press because they did and will continue to just as all teams outside of phily and balt this year did against NE. I will be willing to be my membership here that sacks and int and QB knock downs DRAMATICALLY increase when playing with the lead. Willing to Bet?

So are you trying to say I am a silly little young person who does not know anything? Your arguments are full of fallacies. You arent actually responding to what my argument actually is. Where in my argument did I say anything about scoring not being an important aspect of the game? IF Indy scores a lot early, it CAN put someone in a bind and cause them to press things more. Most of the time this would happen later in the second half, sometimes before. This does not always happen either. You want to know a big reason why Philly and Baltimore did well against the Patriots this year? Good defensive games plans combined with BALL CONTROL.

As I stated in my previous point ball control keeps your defense from getting tired and susceptable to attack by a high power offense. It also keeps the ball from that offense. From your argument you are assuming that Indy this year has always blown people out from the very beginning of the game. If a team is down by 14 points in the third quarter they are not all of the sudden going to be passing every play. The Indy D would still have to respect the run because no team down by only 14 points, unless its near to the end of the game, will start just throwing the ball in desperation.

So are you trying to say I am a silly little young person who does not know anything? Your arguments are full of fallacies. You arent actually responding to what my argument actually is. Where in my argument did I say anything about scoring not being an important aspect of the game? IF Indy scores a lot early, it CAN put someone in a bind and cause them to press things more. Most of the time this would happen later in the second half, sometimes before. This does not always happen either. You want to know a big reason why Philly and Baltimore did well against the Patriots this year? Good defensive games plans combined with BALL CONTROL.

Exactly my point... opponents tried ball control to keep the offense off the field because all year long they scored nearly every possession and scored extremely quick. SO by your arguement where exactly in 18 - 0 did the high and quickly scoring pats offense hurt the defense?????? Nearly the entire year they show nil in the running game due to the passing attack that scored on anyone at will. Scoring at will on someone as the pats did this year and colts in previous years puts teams in a press mode and out of there gameplan sometimes before the second quarter no not always but often. Maybe you should go back and read what you originally posted.

As I stated in my previous point ball control keeps your defense from getting tired and susceptable to attack by a high power offense.

Ball control and scoring at will, as the pats and colts have done to many opponents over the years are two way different things here. Playing with a lead allowes your defense to take more chances meaning blitzing etc thus EVENTUALLY leads to mistakes by the opponent. Why do you not understand that? I makes me wonder what football have you watched for your short time that suggest otherwise? Discluding the colts and pats anyone will agree a ball control offense will wear down a defense but thats not what you originally said. You stated scoring quickly somehow mind boggling to me hurt your defense, and this is absurd, unless there is a 2 min in a game down by 5 and you one scores in 10 seconds thus giving the other team the ball with time, however were discussing with a lead and big leads

It also keeps the ball from that offense. From your argument you are assuming that Indy this year has always blown people out from the very beginning of the game. If a team is down by 14 points in the third quarter they are not all of the sudden going to be passing every play. The Indy D would still have to respect the run because no team down by only 14 points, unless its near to the end of the game, will start just throwing the ball in desperation.

All I said was indy played with leads in most of there games for the last few year. Most does not mean all at least not where im from.

Read a little bit why dont ya an post a little less. Thanks for posting the Meaningless thread to whether or not Peyton Manning while stastically the best QB for the last 5 years and helps a defense dramatically. I dont doubt meeks ability to coach and produce a great defense as the original poster does. I Just stated PM is a HUGE factor of the colts defense rankings which was the defense the original poster implyed. THanks for trying but try to read and understand not just ignor and post previous threads of meeks entire coaching career which prove nothing other than he has a good looking resume.

The problem with your philosophy of PM being the catalyst that turns their defensive wheel in Indy is that you have absolutley no idea that he's the reason their good. We can find stats that shows their defense getting CONSIDERABLY better on Meek's watch. But how are you backing your PM claim up? That he is a HUGE factor in the D's production?

They were missing their top passing rushing DE in Dwight Freeney, and missing arguably their best DT in Booger McFarland. To do as well as they have done this year with the personnel they have is quite amazing. San Diego won the battle in the trenches though, that offensive line took over that game.

To do as good as they did with the personnel? (they had better last year) :2cents: but having bob sanders out proved to be a difference, as you saw this year when he went out.

Injuries happen to every team. A top 10 Defense shouldn't be giving up over 400 yards of offense in a playoff game at HOME. This happenening while Rivers (2 drives) and LT (half the game) are out for the Chargers with very little time left in the game. And you all know what happens, they drove down that defenses throat and scored a TD and never looked back. It's not even like Volek through the ball downfield or that Colt defense wasn't on the field all game (not as much as SD)

While I do agree to an extent that Meeks has done good with that Defense (not amazing, turned it around, or even great), I don't believe he is a top 10 defensive coach. There are better option out there other than Meeks.

Also, when Petyon can jump out to an early double digit lead, it should be easy for most defenses to do well (this has been happening for the last 4 years?) and 2 of those 4 years were top 10 defenses while the others were 15-20 ranked.

Look at the teams that get points with ease, there defenses tend to be good too, but when a team starts playing with them, that defense folds.

Aka...Giants, Patriots, Colts, TB, GB, Cowboys. They all play great when they jump out to big leads in which they have a decent amount of the time.

I posted this once and It got erased, but I know someone well that worked with Ron Meeks when he was a graduate assistant at the U. (miami under dennis erickson). He said he prayed for me that Ron Meeks would not get the job and that he is not "the sharpest tool in the shed"

In my opinion, i think your crazy if you want this guy, even over Jim Fassel. Fassel brought a team to the super bowl, what the hell has Meeks done? Engineer middle of the road defenses in Indy?

When you have a safety that is everywhere like Bob Sanders, then your defense shoudl be a beast. We do have the potential in one with Landry. We would have had one with Sean. I wouldn't mind Meeks, just not another retread coach who hasn't really accomplished anything. If we are going with experience, get Cowher or JJ.

Meeks has had to deal with multiple injuries and players leaving via free agency and still puts a great and consistent 'D' on the field every year. The Redskins didn't really have a defensive identity this year. They just didn't seem to scare you like in 05. I think that Gregg Williams was so scared to get beat deep that he really couldn't gamble this year.

MEEKS 08

As has been posted, Meeks had some tough early years as the D-coordinator in Indy.

However, in the past 3 years, 2 out of 3 the colts defense has been in the top 2 in the NFL in points allowed. Thats pretty dang good.

Perhaps more important than that, hes learned under Dungy, and hes experienced one of the best organizations in the NFL. Hes seen how to do things right. Thats something we need.

Archived