Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time for my thoughts (bumped post from Jan. 2008) MET.

Art

It is not always the case I understand or agree with concepts or actions the team may consider or execute on. I did not really understand the move for Archuleta. I thought Briggs was a bad move at the rumored cost. There are other examples. In each case, where I disagreed with something, I tried to think, "What rationale would make this move be reasonable and understandable by the people making it."

Though some of us think it, these are not rash men. They do have a plan and they do execute it. When Gibbs spiked the ball instead of running a play, or when he kicked a field goal instead of moving the ball closer, it may have seemed strange, and you may have loudly been against it, but, there was no denying the plan behind the execution. They thought about it and came to a decision for some criteria.

Williams envisioned Archuleta as an enforcer in the box. Briggs was a Pro Bowl player. We had made mistakes in similar situations, or whatever. Whether the rationale was right or wrong was not consequential. It existed and you could always disagree with it, but you always knew it was there. So, what must I do in this situation where I'm a huge Gregg Williams fan? How do I reconcile changes at offensive coordinator where we swap out a guy proven to be capable of producing elite offenses for a pretty old first-time playcaller? How were these decisions arrived at. I don't know. I don't like them. I'm not going to like them.

But, here's what I think.

1. Gibbs left the team quickly, giving it little time to initiate any real planning. Rather than making the decision but staying on for a couple weeks so everyone could get in gear, he left, forcing the team to reorganize on the fly and seek out possible coaches in a less than impressive coaching lot.

2. The lack of prep didn't just impact the team. It hurt Williams. Remember when he got the Buffalo job? No one thought he'd get it over Lewis. He did. Remember the stories about how thorough and prepared he was? How he entered with a complete list of possible assistants and their complete profiles. Williams, like many coming coaches or out of work coaches, have prepared head coaching packets at the ready. A vision and plan for the future. I think in this case he didn't and others may have. I think he must have talked about what he'd done here, rather than what he wanted to do, and others came in, others who'd had time to prepare, and seemed better candidates for that prep.

To me, this is the only thing that really resonates as plausible. I don't like it, but, it has a ring to it in my ear. I think people expected Gibbs back, including Williams. I think he left quickly and it left everyone in the organization trying to figure things out. Like Williams did to Lewis, he got out-interviewed.

The strongest part of the team over the last few years has been the defense. The weaker part the offense.

The team is apparently bringing back every defensive coach. That will allow continuity and comfort for the retuning players. We'll see what the final tally and loss is for the staff. Might be pretty heavy on the offensive side. Might be Saunders and Lazor. The offense won't enjoy continuity. It'll learn something new. That's going to take time.

For me, I hate the thought of Fassel being our coach. Just don't find him impressive. I'm pretty sure I won't find him so unless he pulls out a 13-3 season. I suspect other than Grimm or Williams, few people would have fully measured up in my eyes. Maybe Cowher I guess. I believe as an organization we have shown too little loyalty and respect for what people have accomplished for us and too much for what someone else promises to accomplish. That is a flaw that has hurt the team over the years in my view.

So for me this is just a tragic, sickening feeling. The psychology of the team can't be great right now. It may be softened by the returning number of coaches, or it may lose respect for them if they feel those guys were disloyal to Williams. I don't know.

Now, how much of Williams personality and perceived arrogance hurt him with Snyder or Cerrato or anyone else, I can't say. Last year when we struggled and the article came out about defensive problems, many here were not overly thrilled with Williams as our future. I was, but, I'm in the tank for him :).

Clearly there is more to it than just someone interviewing better.

I won't feel good about the choice when it comes out. I did feel good about Marty and Spurrier and Gibbs though. None worked out totally great. Maybe the coaching change I have the most trouble with will be the one that does. At least that is the hope we all have to have :).

I'm on the same page, Art. I agree that many of us probably won't like the new hire, save for maybe if it's Grimm and there's reason for that. I think with what the team went through last year and the chemistry built, it's hard to dream up any plausible reasoning where it's a good idea to not at the very least give Williams a year with this group that's so bonded to him, this group that Gibbs handpicked and put together himself and see what happens. The emotional factor of what happened certainly plays into that. Still, no matter how hard I try, I can't find a plausible reason why you don't see what could happen with this group. It's very hard to understand. Maybe we're just all a lot dumber than we think and Dan's a lot smarter than we think, I don't know. At this point, I'm at a loss.

Wow, now that is one fantastic articulation of the sentiments I would imagine many of us feel, but are unable to express effectively. There's a nice balance to the analysis for a guy whose 'in the tank' for Williams, as well. Unfortunately, it just leaves me more remorseful about Gregg's departure than before. Great piece, Art.

Wow, I was going to post something similar, but not as well thought correctly stated. :)

I too, am absolutely sick of the thought of Fassel being our coach. He has been off everyone's radar. I too want to know why Saunders can have 4 of the best offenses ever while in KC, yet he is held back here? We have been set back by another 4 or 5 years. Dan Synder is the curse of this franchise.

...To me, this is the only thing that really resonates as plausible. I don't like it, but, it has a ring to it in my ear. I think people expected Gibbs back, including Williams. I think he left quickly and it left everyone in the organization trying to figure things out. Like Williams did to Lewis, he got out-interviewed...

Art,

I think we both feel the same way about Williams, but I disagree with the quote above. If he was out-interviewed they would have announced the new head coach, no? Someone that prepared would have been hired by now.

2. The lack of prep didn't just impact the team. It hurt Williams. Remember when he got the Buffalo job? No one thought he'd get it over Lewis. He did. Remember the stories about how thorough and prepared he was? How he entered with a complete list of possible assistants and their complete profiles. Williams, like many coming coaches or out of work coaches, have prepared head coaching packets at the ready. A vision and plan for the future. I think in this case he didn't and others may have. I think he must have talked about what he'd done here, rather than what he wanted to do, and others came in, others who'd had time to prepare, and seemed better candidates for that prep.

To me, this is the only thing that really resonates as plausible. I don't like it, but, it has a ring to it in my ear. I think people expected Gibbs back, including Williams. I think he left quickly and it left everyone in the organization trying to figure things out. Like Williams did to Lewis, he got out-interviewed.

I don't quite buy that, because he had three interviews. He had time to improve on things if the first go-around wasn't everything it could be. Also, as you said, it isn't like he's a rookie at this.

I'm not going to speculate on the whys. It could just come down to that Snyder just didn't click with him, for whatever reason. Who knows?

Jason

I think Williams lack of ability when picking players doomed him in the end. Great coordinator, bad head coach. Unfortunate, but probably true.

Taylor, McIntosh and Landry were several high draft picks endorsed strongly by Williams (not to mention Monty), and there were just as many FA success stories of guys picked at his prompting (Fletcher, Springs), as there are of washouts like Arch Deluxe or Highway 57. I'm not buying the 'poor eye for talent evaluation' knock.

I really like the Idea of keeping the defensive coordinator in house, as it was and has been our strong suit for many years now. I am not objecting the Zorn hiring solely on the play of Matt Hasslebeck. Matt Hasslebeck is the only measuring stick we have to determine or even try to predict how Zorn will do here and that still raises the question of how much of Hasslebeck's success is due to Zorn and how much had to do with Holmgren.

I am slightly objected to bringing in a defensive guy for Head Coach because of the fear that philosophies could butt heads as we witnessed on the offensive side of the ball with Saunders and Gibbs.

I not going to feel good about the HC choice until we play some games and the teams new identity is uncovered.

Art Im with you all the way. To eveyone who doesn't understand this:you have to bleed burgandy and gold if you dont this must be horrifying.....but there is no need to insult other fans or someone with a differrent opinion(unless there a dallas fan)We will be fine ...Maybe:doh:

I think Williams lack of ability when picking players doomed him in the end. Great coordinator, bad head coach. Unfortunate, but probably true.

I certainly hope that's not true because that description could fit a lot of DAMN good coaches over the years. That's why, you know, teams tend to have a qualified person who's sole responsibility is making those kind of decisions. They're generally referred to as GMs. Not a sermon, just a thought. :silly:

Nice read Art. I too am extremely disappointed in the fact that GW is gone. Maybe I'm missing something here, but when the team publicly supports him and the fans want him, there's a pretty good reason why they feel that way. **** the fans, but if you can't listen to the voice of your players about who they feel should coach them then who can you listen to. Shouldn't Williams' past success as a D coordinator with us and the relationships he has built give him the edge? Knowing that it was such an abrupt retirement by Gibbs, shouldn't Dan have taken the fact that Williams wasn't fully prepared into consideration. I don't think that GW was unprepared though truthfully.

I think that there is a disconnect between Snyder/Vinny and Gregg. I believe that we'll find out more about why Gregg isn't the HC in the coming weeks. Once again, we've been duped by the Dan Snyder Ego. When the players and fans are calling for what appears to be the obvious choice, you better have a damn good reason why Williams wasn't chosen. If that (the reason) never gets released to the players and fans, Snyder is going to lose this fan-base if we tank in '08. This move better work or Snyder is toast. That my friend is a lock.

It's very clear to me that these fans are on the edge of jumping ship. None of us want to. We're all diehards. We're all Redskins fans through and through. But at the end of the day, deep down in places no one wants to talk about (Few Good Menism), we, the diehards even, are running out of patience with this poorly run franchise. It's only a matter of time before people start paper bagging and booing if things go sour. Do I think that they will tank under new coaches? No. I actually think we've got the talent, but we certainly could tank. We're at the mercies of our division. It's going to be tough next year. We could easily go 5-11 just as easily as we could go 11-5. With a new staff (especially on the O side of the ball) and a new HC, there's a distinct possibility that we end up 5-11 or 4-12. This is a bad place to be right now, and I hope everything works out on the plus end for all involved....else this thing might get ugly really quick come December.

HTTR

HTTR

Art, this might be the best post you've ever written.

Not only is it spot-on; coming from you, it's Nixon to China.

I believe as an organization we have shown too little loyalty and respect for what people have accomplished for us and too much for what someone else promises to accomplish. That is a flaw that has hurt the team over the years in my view.

"Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

- Army - McCarthy hearings

With style for the ages, Art. Way to go.

:cheers:

I still cant figure out why everyone here hates Fassel. Dude is a proven good coach. The "he was fired by his best friend" thing is ridiculous. Billick is convinced he is the smartest Offensive mind ever. And even this genius could not make Baltimore's offense work. Sure they improved their offensive rankings after Fassel was fired, but only for a few games...and then they went right back to being crap. That offense's failings do not fall at Fassel's feet. I like Fassel and before Gibbs appeared out of nowhere, he was who I wanted to replace Spurrier. I think he is a good hire. We will have two guys known for bringing up young QBs working with our young QB. This is a smart move guys...you will see.

I believe as an organization we have shown too little loyalty and respect for what people have accomplished for us and too much for what someone else promises to accomplish. That is a flaw that has hurt the team over the years in my view.
Amen.

Has it always been this way, or just when Synder took over? And is it just Synder, or is it the entire NFL? And is it just the NFL, or is this just modern day American business, period?

There had to have been some behind the scenes political BS that we'll likely never hear about. GW's results speak for themselves. One would assume by the results alone he's more than earned the right to his current job, if not the head coaching job.

Scratching my head too, Art. Guess it has to make sense from some angle. Oh well, let's see what happens! :)

Taylor, McIntosh and Landry were several high draft picks endorsed strongly by Williams (not to mention Monty), and there were just as many FA success stories of guys picked at his prompting (Fletcher, Springs), as there are of washouts like Arch Deluxe or Highway 57. I'm not buying the 'poor eye for talent evaluation' knock.

Sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate to attribute high draft picks to the DC when it was clearly Snyder/Cerrato/Gibbs running the drafts.

Also and in fact, I give more credit to our scouts for late round picks and Gibbs for picks 1-3. It's easy to pick in rounds 1-3. Who wouldn't endorse Taylor, Landry, and McIntosh?

As for Monty, remember, we had offered our 6th that year to sign one Jeremetrious Butler from the Rams only to have them match and we ended up keeping our 6th to use on Monty. Had the Rams let Butler go, no Monty. The following year we signed Butler and released him during camp.

As for FA signings (more likely influenced by Williams) there are more failures than successes.

Williams felt we could live without Pierce, but wanted Barrow(one down, even one down? No, not one down.), and Holdman(felt pretty strongly about him over Arrington too) He let Smoot go (only to have a severe DB need in the following year). He certainly was behind Archuleta. He also thought we could live with Marshall in the middle and without Clark in the backfield. He wanted Wright as a nickel DB(that worked out well), and probably led to the debacle known as Mike Rumph.

Who's fault is that?

I think Williams burned his bridge with the mutiny of 06 and a 31st ranking, does anyone remember just how pathetic our D was. He learned a great deal from it and definitely responded and was better off for it, but it killed his chances, imo. My #1 reason as to GW's departure. #2 17-31.

Snyder sat back and said, that guys not my long term solution.

I still cant figure out why everyone here hates Fassel. Dude is a proven good coach. The "he was fired by his best friend" thing is ridiculous. Billick is convinced he is the smartest Offensive mind ever. And even this genius could not make Baltimore's offense work. Sure they improved their offensive rankings after Fassel was fired, but only for a few games...and then they went right back to being crap. That offense's failings do not fall at Fassel's feet. I like Fassel and before Gibbs appeared out of nowhere, he was who I wanted to replace Spurrier. I think he is a good hire. We will have two guys known for bringing up young QBs working with our young QB. This is a smart move guys...you will see.

It's not that people hate Fassel, it's that we think we have a TON of chemistry and promise here and that Gregg is a big part of that. Also, at least for me, much more than even that, it's the seeming lack of respect or common courtesy for the coaches currently on the payroll with which this search has proceeded that's drawn a huge amount of backlash. I don't care who you are or who you want as the coach, not talking to any of the current staff for over 2 weeks and then having Gibbs come in and talk them off the ledge (instead of Vinny or Dan, who's job that should have been) is absolutely the wrong way to conduct business. Regardless of whether or not they stay here, those coaches have earned better than that. Show me another team (aside from the Raiders) that would operate in such a manner, with such disregard to men who've given a lot of themselves to the franchise. :2cents:

Sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate to attribute high draft picks to the DC when it was clearly Snyder/Cerrato/Gibbs running the drafts.

Also and in fact, I give more credit to our scouts for late round picks and Gibbs for picks 1-3. It's easy to pick in rounds 1-3. Who wouldn't endorse Taylor, Landry, and McIntosh?

As for Monty, remember, we had offered our 6th that year to sign one Jeremetrious Butler from the Rams only to have them match and we ended up keeping our 6th to use on Monty. Had the Rams let Butler go, no Monty. The following year we signed Butler and released him during camp.

As for FA signings (more likely influenced by Williams) there are more failures than successes.

Williams felt we could live without Pierce, but wanted Barrow(one down, even one down? No, not one down.), and Holdman(felt pretty strongly about him over Arrington too) He let Smoot go (only to have a severe DB need in the following year). He certainly was behind Archuleta. He also thought we could live with Marshall in the middle and without Clark in the backfield. He wanted Wright as a nickel DB(that worked out well), and probably led to the debacle known as Mike Rumph.

Who's fault is that?

So let me get this straight. Williams gets ZERO credit for Taylor, McIntosh, Montgomery, ect because Vinny/Dan/Gibbs were running the show but Archuleta, Holdman, Barrow Rumph and letting Smoot and Pierce go was his fault? That's some awfully convoluted logic, don't ya think? The good stuff was not him but the bad stuff was? What ground are you standing on to say the draft was Gibbs and Co but FA was Gregg? At least there's no agenda here.

Archived