Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fassel--Pro and Con (merged)

rtandler

So is getting a bad team to the Super Bowl a sign of a good coaching job?...

If you want to look at that way...I more feel that Fassel's little achievements have less importance as he never really created a dominant team, despite being the Giants head coach for 7 years. Also, his tenure as a college head coach at the University of Utah was equally unspectacular with a 25-33 record and never finishing above 3rd in the WAC.

The Giants were a joke that year. They made the playoffs with a creampuff schedule, even easier than this year. They beat ONE winning team that year (Eagles, who had also only beaten ONE winning team). Then in the playoffs, they got the Eagles AGAIN, then Minny (dome team playing in freezing conditions). THey got completely exposed in the SB.

Why aren't other teams pursuing him? I've have not heard his name arise in any other HC searches, or in circles where they talk about potential HC candidates such as NFL radio/ network. What, in God's name, has this person done to impress the Danny/ Vinny? The Ravens fired their HC, and this clown was on the staff. They didn't even consider him?

Who's pursuing Gregg Williams?

Whether or not teams pursue someone isn't necessarily an indicator of what someone's capable of. 1/2 of us have never heard of most of the 'hotshot' flavor of the month assistants/coordinators who get HC chances every year. Those guys have proven zero. At least Fassel has gotten to a Super Bowl. I don't believe you can do that, under any circumstances, if you aren't a solid coach.

Independent of your feelings for Fassel, that is extremely faulty logic.

How so?

After interviewing with the Redskins in 2004 he was only hired by his BFF to OC then was fired. Was Rebuffed by the Chiefs and announcing games on the radio.

Since '04 he hasn't been considered for any HC duties, nor has he ever been mentioned for them.

Are you telling us that Dan and Vinny are somehow ahead of the curve football wise? If so that would be a first.

Apparently he impressed them in '04 before Gibbs agreed to come back. Who knows. Maybe he just interviews well. I'm thinking one of the reasons is that they know he would pretty much be a yes man for them and do what they say since he is probably happy to even be getting a job. Obviously other teams have passed on him even for coordinator jobs. Even if they "explained" why they chose him, I wouldn't believe a word that came out of their lying mouths after all of their BS about keeping continuity.

At least Fassel has gotten to a Super Bowl. I don't believe you can do that, under any circumstances, if you aren't a solid coach.

The year the Giants made the Superbowl their offense (Fassels speciality) Was #15 in points per game and #13 in yards.

Their defense was #5 in yards per game, and #5 in points allowed. John Fox was their DC.

After that fateful year the team started to fall apart. I submit that similar to Billick of that same year. Fassel rode a dominant defense to the dance, not anything resembling an offense.

Archived