Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Chris Hanburger NOT in the Hall of Fame?

michael_33

I'm too young to really remember him other than a few film clips and videos...But I think he deserves is due respect...(or thread) ;)

But after reading his BIO and probowl honors,I can't fathem why this guy is not a Hall of Famer...

I know I'm probably being a homer here and just looking for a reason to burn down the building... :rolleyes: but what are the reasons for his absence of the HOF?

Maybe some of you "old farts"...J/K...can give us a more football perspective of a Skin who went to the probowl 9 times,yet he's not a great?

Was he like a J.Trotter and would get elected even if only playing 1/2 a season?....cause of his name? :doh:

Or was he actually a complete player?

Chris Hanburger

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Chris Hanburger

Date of birth: August 13, 1941 (1941-08-13) (age 66)

Place of birth: Fort Bragg, NC

Position(s): Linebacker

Jersey #: 55

College: North Carolina

NFL Draft: 1965 / Round: 18 / Pick 245

Team(s) as player

1965-1978 Washington Redskins

Career highlights and Awards

Pro Bowls 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969

1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976

Stats at DatabaseFootball.com

Christian Hanburger, Jr. (born August 13, 1941 in Fort Bragg, North Carolina) is a former American football linebacker in the National Football League who played his entire fourteen year career with the Washington Redskins from 1965 to 1978.

Right out of high school, Hanburger joined the Army. Years later, he accepted a scholarship from the University of North Carolina, where he played college football. From 1962 until 1964, Chris played for the Tar Heels on offense, at the center position, as well as on defense, as an outside linebacker. During his stay at UNC, Hanburger was named the All-Atlantic Coast Conference center as both a junior and senior. In 1963 he helped lead his team to the Gator Bowl and an ACC Championship.

As a pro he was considered as one of the best linebackers of his era and was elected to the Pro Bowl nine times during his career, the most in Washington Redskin history. Despite this, he has yet to be nominated or inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Chris is one of my all time favorite Redskins. He was a Redskin from the time I started to follow the team as a kid. The guy was a complete player, very good against the run, and liked to lay the lumber to people. He had good speed, and a nose for the ball. Chris and Jack (Pardee) could reak havok on other teams.

My uncle the Giants fan hated Chris when we played each other, but he would always give him his due and talk him up when discussing top players at a position.

Why he isn't in the hall is beyond me, but there's so many players out there that played the game that should be, I've stopped wondering.

... or was quiet with the media? ...
He may not have gotten along with the media, but many will remember his Redskins Report on WMAL in the evenings (around 6:45p). It was usually a 2 - 3 minute call from Redskins Park giving listeners an idea of how practice went, thoughts about the previous game or the following week's opponents.

Old no. 55 was one of my favorites as well. I saw him play many times and I used to listed to his Redskins report at 5 PM on WMAL during the season. I've long thought he should be in the HOF and I simply can't understand why the Veteran's Committee continues to overlook him. Perhaps an e-mail to Leonard Shapiro could answer this question.

Want confirmation he belongs in the HOF? Ask Sam Huff, Sonny Jurgensen, George Allen Jr., Billy Kilmer and any former member of the Cowboys who played against him.

Old no. 55 was one of my favorites as well. I saw him play many times and I used to listed to his Redskins report at 5 PM on WMAL during the season. I've long thought he should be in the HOF and I simply can't understand why the Veteran's Committee continues to overlook him. Perhaps an e-mail to Leonard Shapiro could answer this question.

Want confirmation he belongs in the HOF? Ask Sam Huff, Sonny Jurgensen, George Allen Jr., Billy Kilmer and any former member of the Cowboys who played against him.

Shapiro's thoughts from a WP chat from a few years back:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57037-2005Apr15.html

Fairfax, Va.: Len:

I know this is supposed to be a golf chat today, but I never seem to be able to catch you online and I don't know how else to contact you, so I hope you will take this question. As a member of the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame Selection Committee (and Veteran's Committee), could you tell me why you think Chris Hanburger has not been voted into the Hall-of-Fame and if you would be willing to endorse him for selection by the Veteran's Committee this year? Hanburger was selected for the Pro Bowl nine times, picked as an all-pro five times and voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1972. I don't think there is another player with those credentials who is not already in the Hall-of-Fame. It took George Allen many years to get in, and I think Chris Hanburger deserves to get in, too. Among the Joe Gibbs era Redskins not already in, only Darrell Green is more worthy of enshrinement than Hanburger. Once Chris gets in, I will lead the rally for Art Monk, but in all fairness, Hanburger deserves to get in first. Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leonard Shapiro:

Chris Hanburger was a fine player, a guy who slipped through the cracks for a lot of years because he played on a lot of bad redskins teams. I could support his candidacy as a senior, just as I believe pat fischer should be in, as well. One thing going against hanburger: he was extremely media unfriendly, and some people have long memories.

-----------

EDIT: I think this is one of the reasons that the whole HOF voting process is flawed. The voters carry their own bias and snub guys who don't outwardly promote themselves.

One of the BEST questions I've seen in awhile.....OMG, he should be there - the man played sideline to sideline and delivered a blow; really hard nosed guy.... In fact, for those of us playing in the backyard as kids, he was one of the names kids would call out as to who we pretended to be....

Shapiro's thoughts from a WP chat from a few years back:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57037-2005Apr15.html

Fairfax, Va.: Len:

I know this is supposed to be a golf chat today, but I never seem to be able to catch you online and I don't know how else to contact you, so I hope you will take this question. As a member of the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame Selection Committee (and Veteran's Committee), could you tell me why you think Chris Hanburger has not been voted into the Hall-of-Fame and if you would be willing to endorse him for selection by the Veteran's Committee this year? Hanburger was selected for the Pro Bowl nine times, picked as an all-pro five times and voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1972. I don't think there is another player with those credentials who is not already in the Hall-of-Fame. It took George Allen many years to get in, and I think Chris Hanburger deserves to get in, too. Among the Joe Gibbs era Redskins not already in, only Darrell Green is more worthy of enshrinement than Hanburger. Once Chris gets in, I will lead the rally for Art Monk, but in all fairness, Hanburger deserves to get in first. Your thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Leonard Shapiro:

Chris Hanburger was a fine player, a guy who slipped through the cracks for a lot of years because he played on a lot of bad redskins teams. I could support his candidacy as a senior, just as I believe pat fischer should be in, as well. One thing going against hanburger: he was extremely media unfriendly, and some people have long memories.

-----------

EDIT: I think this is one of the reasons that the whole HOF voting process is flawed. The voters carry their own bias and snub guys who don't outwardly promote themselves.

I have to agree with you, just because the guy didnt give you an interview in no way diminishes his playing ability. The more I hear about this flawed system the more I think of it as a publicity award and not an accomplishment award.

Yeah he was the innovator of the clothesline tackle. He was a vicious hitter. He could absolutely knock the snot out of you and not care. I don't know why he isn't a HOF'er. He should be based on his numbers. Perhaps he will be like that TE who played for the Lions. They just seem to pick players out of nowhere to get in the HOF these days.

Chris is one of my all time favorite Redskins. He was a Redskin from the time I started to follow the team as a kid. The guy was a complete player, very good against the run, and liked to lay the lumber to people. He had good speed, and a nose for the ball. Chris and Jack (Pardee) could reak havok on other teams.

My uncle the Giants fan hated Chris when we played each other, but he would always give him his due and talk him up when discussing top players at a position.

Why he isn't in the hall is beyond me, but there's so many players out there that played the game that should be, I've stopped wondering.

Yep! same here along with Roy Jefferson, Pat Fisher and a few others. Back in those days, it wasn't no Madden, not even close. It was one or the very first football games which was the Electric Football board :laugh: . We all had our own teams and ran leagues through out the hood. We would sometimes paint our own NFL teams with the original colors and doulble coat players with paint to make them more powerful to push the other players team backwards.

Those were the days of hard core football. The days of George Allen, John Madden, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and the entire head coaching legends and smash mouth football.

Anyhow, I was really young when I first heard Chris's name and I always called him Chris Hamburger :laugh: not Hanburger. I thought his name was really Hamburger and right then and there a new Redskin diehard fan was born ;) .

Archived