Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest clue!!If we are promoting Williams from within,then why the Meeks interview?

michael_33

I think if we all look at the clues,we will kind of have an idea who is the front runner here!

.....And not so much of who the next coach will be,but perhaps who won't be the next head coach!

If your not required to abide by the "Rooney rule" as long as you hire from within the organization,then why are we interviewing Meeks (Minority) if Gregg Williams is the frontrunner for the job?

1)Are we seriously interested in Meeks as the next head coach?NO

I think it's safe to say,that whoever the next head coach is (Mora,Grimm or Mystery Man?),it's not someone already on our staff!

Is that not the biggest clue?Or are we wrong on the "Rooney rule" and your required to interview a minority no matter what.

Can anyone clarify the Rooney rule please?

By the way...I'm stickin' with my gut on this one and think that Russ Grimm will be our next head coach!(God I hope so...)

The exemption is hiring from within WHEN THERE IS A CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION FOR SUCCESSION -which there isn't in this case; ergo, the Rooney rule still applies EVEN IF we're hiring GW.

Thank you Riggo...!I wasn't sure of the stipulations on this rule...I kept hearing different sides of each case.

You too Jumbo...thank you both!

Ummmm, no. You did not dig up some huge "clue" that everyone missed.

You must interview a person of the non-white skin persuasion unless you have a longstanding written agreement naming someone on your staff as the eventual successor.

I believe the only time this has been done was when Vermeil left the Rams and they promoted Martz.

Rooney Rule requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate for any head coaching position. Because the Rooney's didn't interview any minorities for the Steelers' job when Chuck Noll left.

It's called the Rooney rule because Rooney's the one who came up with it. It has nothing to do with who the Steelers did or didn't interview after Chuck Noll left.

Thank you Riggo...!I wasn't sure of the stipulations on this rule...I kept hearing different sides of each case.

I hear you - add in all the flase rumors that were floating around about GW having a $1m clause in his contract if not hired (which would've qualified as a Rooney exemption), and it's darn near impossible to be certain one way or another.

They should hire a Native American. j/k

That's funny, But seriously, I always thought as long as it was from within you didn't have to interview anyone. Thanks for the info on "unless it's in a contract". Always helps to know a little more about the old NFof L. Thanks

Then I just read Bubba's coment. so....what IS the rule?

you can't have a CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION FOR SUCCESSION in NFL assist. contacts

See that is what I thought. I remember reading somewhere that it is against the rules to officially guarantee an assistant another job to try and keep them from going elsewhere...this came up with GW was in demand in a couple years ago...

COME ON NOW

Just because they chose some minority candidates DOESN'T mean they did it ONLY to comply with the Rooney Rule.

MAYBE the team actually LIKES the coaches potential. Danny is just doing ALL of his homework on this decision, and we cannot speculate on aspects of race.

The proof is that they interviewed multiple minority candidates, not just one.

Since we really have no clue, I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that it's Cohwer still. I think Bill said he will do the gig, and here are the folks I want on my staff... go get them. So Danny is busy aligning all the stars so to speak, and Danny will get his big splash.

It's just too freaking quiet and will all the Cowher talk subsided, I'm getting more an more suspicious.

:whoknows:

If your not required to abide by the "Rooney rule" as long as you hire from within the organization,then why are we interviewing Meeks (Minority) if Gregg Williams is the frontrunner for the job?

Can anyone clarify the Rooney rule please?

By the way...I'm stickin' with my gut on this one and think that Russ Grimm will be our next head coach!(God I hope so...)

Where di dyou hear this from.

ANY Head Coach postion opening must abide by the Rooney RUle.

Even if we promot Williams, we MUST interview a minority candidate.

We are interviewing a lot of people. ALL people have ben interviewd at Snyder's house. After we interview a minority candidate, we can make a decsion.

We would be PENALIZED if we endorse Williams before we satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Does the Rooney rule state "minority" strictly mean a black canidate? Or minority as in female, and or native american?

If anyone can help me with this one I will be grateful.

HTTR

A female is not a minority, in fact there are more women in the world than men. Why I can;t find a decent one is byond me... and off the subject...

anyway...

EVERYONE please understand that we CANNOT endorse WIlliams until we comply by the Rooney Rule.

That is, we MUST interview a minority candidate.

COME ON NOW

Just because they chose some minority candidates DOESN'T mean they did it ONLY to comply with the Rooney Rule.

MAYBE the team actually LIKES the coaches potential. Danny is just doing ALL of his homework on this decision, and we cannot speculate on aspects of race.

The proof is that they interviewed multiple minority candidates, not just one.

true.

I agree...

WHy are people assuming it will be Jim Mora, Jr.??

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Rooney Rule requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for a head coaching opportunity. The rule is named for Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the chairman of the league's diversity committee, and is often cited as an example of affirmative action.

In 2003, the NFL fined the Detroit Lions $200,000 for failure to interview minority candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job. After Marty Mornhinweg was fired, the Lions immediately hired former San Francisco 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci to replace him without interviewing any other candidates. The Lions claimed they attempted to interview other candidates but that the minority candidates withdrew from interviews, believing Mariucci's hiring was inevitable.

Since the Rooney Rule was established, several NFL franchises have hired minority head coaches (including the Steelers themselves, who hired Mike Tomlin before their 2007 season), although the policy is still debated. No team has stated whether the Rooney Rule contributed to the hiring of a minority.

However, the rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the starting job in case of an opening. [1] This was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season.

I hear you - add in all the flase rumors that were floating around about GW having a $1m clause in his contract if not hired (which would've qualified as a Rooney exemption), and it's darn near impossible to be certain one way or another.

There is no Rooney exception.

ANY head coach opening must have a minority interview....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Rooney Rule requires National Football League teams to interview minority candidates for a head coaching opportunity. The rule is named for Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the chairman of the league's diversity committee, and is often cited as an example of affirmative action.

In 2003, the NFL fined the Detroit Lions $200,000 for failure to interview minority candidates for the team's vacant head coaching job. After Marty Mornhinweg was fired, the Lions immediately hired former San Francisco 49ers head coach Steve Mariucci to replace him without interviewing any other candidates. The Lions claimed they attempted to interview other candidates but that the minority candidates withdrew from interviews, believing Mariucci's hiring was inevitable.

Since the Rooney Rule was established, several NFL franchises have hired minority head coaches (including the Steelers themselves, who hired Mike Tomlin before their 2007 season), although the policy is still debated. No team has stated whether the Rooney Rule contributed to the hiring of a minority.

However, the rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the starting job in case of an opening. [1] This was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season.

wikipedia... take it for what's it worth, some internet kid's opinion...

Mike Martz was hired BEFORE the rule was invoked.

The Rooney rule was designed to give minority candidates exposure and help get their names out in a sometimes difficult environment, where very qualified people don;t get the opportunity.

We CANNOT endorse Williams or ANYONE until we interview a minority candidate...

Archived