Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hiring Jim Mora Jr. as HC would be a mistake

nneece

This would be a wait and see move for me.

I was in Atlanta when Mora was coach, and to be honest, I think that he wasn't the reason for the Falcons demise. I thought that Vick was the problem. Mora tried to make him a better QB, installed the WCO to try to help him out, and still Vick couldn't get over always running, he was very hard headed.

Mora's relationship became a bit strained with Vick, and with Arthur Blank being so in-love with Vick, the situation was, "Either you make it work with Vick, or you go.". I think Mora eventually let that pressure get to him, and that was ultimately his demise. Atlanta fans and media were too blind to see that Vick was a bad QB, they made excuses for him, and they wanted Mora to make it work. Mora was forced itno a tight spot and no one tried to help him. Everyone pretty much was of the opinion of, "You've got Mike Vick, you should be able to win, because he's the best QB ever.". Eventually Mora exploded because he was in such a lose-lose situation, and Blank brought in someone else to "Make Vick work.".

I don't think he's a horrible coach. I just think that he was in a bad place with Atlanta.

If you go back & look at the reactions to Marty, I'm pretty sure they were uniformly negative or, at best, "huh?" Turns out to be a pretty dang good HC (at least during the regular season). I thought Mora did very well early on, but Vick is a classic coach killer. Doesn't make Mora good, but I thought he showed signs.

Just relax until something happens for real.

:laugh: I love your sense of humor. I believe that Snyder's life has been threatened if he hires Mora Jr. and I think someone else said the earth will stop spinning and possibly a few others will commit suicide.

Hiring Mora Jr. would be the worst thing to happen to anything every in the history of life and the universe.

everyone needs to chill!

This would be a wait and see move for me.

I was in Atlanta when Mora was coach, and to be honest, I think that he wasn't the reason for the Falcons demise. I thought that Vick was the problem. Mora tried to make him a better QB, installed the WCO to try to help him out, and still Vick couldn't get over always running, he was very hard headed.

Mora's relationship became a bit strained with Vick, and with Arthur Blank being so in-love with Vick, the situation was, "Either you make it work with Vick, or you go.". I think Mora eventually let that pressure get to him, and that was ultimately his demise. Atlanta fans and media were too blind to see that Vick was a bad QB, they made excuses for him, and they wanted Mora to make it work. Mora was forced itno a tight spot and no one tried to help him. Everyone pretty much was of the opinion of, "You've got Mike Vick, you should be able to win, because he's the best QB ever.". Eventually Mora exploded because he was in such a lose-lose situation, and Blank brought in someone else to "Make Vick work.".

I don't think he's a horrible coach. I just think that he was in a bad place with Atlanta.

We don't know, do we. Just because Atlanta was a bad organization and had a bad situation with Vick as QB, doesn't prove that Mora is a good HC. It just proves that he could not fix the situation in Atlanta, which may have been unfixable by anyone person. Again, that says to me that Mora is an unproven commodity as a HC. Should the Redskins roll the dice on an unproven commodity or go after better bets. The choice is obvious to me.

Why the hell would we waste a coaching vacancy on Mora. The idea of bringing him here scares me to death

I'm with you on this one. I'm telling you, if we hire this guy, we will be 8-8 or worse for at least 3-4 seasons. That 11-5 was fluke in 2004. This guy will change the offense into a west coast style, and Jason will suffer. This is why I don't want the guy here. Also, we will go back to the days of Mr. "5-11, not very good". :doh:

Guys, there's nothing wrong with Snyder interviewing all of the guys who have an interest in being the next HC. There's also the Rooney rule involved with the process. Yes, I too want Greg Williams. Who's to say that Mora couldn't come here and make the Skins a more winning team? All of a sudden you guys would love him! Way too early to get all worked up....

Well they have obviously interviewed Mora so they are looking beyond the "elite." I really think Mora will have something to prove. I think he would want to clear his name of the debacle that is associated with him and Atlanta. I would bet he is pretty hungry to prove himself.

I don't think Williams would be considered "elite" either. Outside of Buffalo, Tennessee, and Washington, nobody knows who he is. Is Caldwell elite?

Just because we bring in someone with a name like "Cowher," does not mean we will win.

When I say elite, I don't mean the splashy picks that Snyder typically goes for. I mean elite in the sense of, the top talent available for a HC job. That means an assessment of the individuals talent despite what the media/ press may say. Given that, Mora is not among the elite. After 1 play off appearance the Falcons went down hill horribly his remaining 2 seasons. I know you can't place all of the blame on Mora, but truly he is an unknown commodity aside from what he may have done in Seattle this past season. The indications that I saw while he was HC in Atlanta, however, were not good.

There was the time, for example, when the entire team was at training camp in Flowery Branch and taking a bus to see a movie as a team function. Deangelo Hall, trully a classless individual, decided that he was going to jump into his sports car rather then take the team bus. What did Mora do? He jumped in the car with him. Talk about sending the wrong message to your team! That's just one example I can come up with a few more with out really trying and I am not a Falcons fan who follows their follies on a daily basis.

Guys, there's nothing wrong with Snyder interviewing all of the guys who have an interest in being the next HC. There's also the Rooney rule involved with the process. Yes, I too want Greg Williams. Who's to say that Mora couldn't come here and make the Skins a more winning team? All of a sudden you guys would love him! Way too early to get all worked up....

Mora meets some of the requirements for the Rooney rule? I did not know that...

We don't know, do we. Just because Atlanta was a bad organization and had a bad situation with Vick as QB, doesn't prove that Mora is a good HC. It just proves that he could not fix the situation in Atlanta, which may have been unfixable by anyone person. Again, that says to me that Mora is an unproven commodity as a HC. Should the Redskins roll the dice on an unproven commodity or go after better bets. The choice is obvious to me.

If you re-read my post, you'll notice that the first line I said, "This is a wait and see move for me.". Meaning that I don't know what to think about him as a HC, because he had his ups and downs as HC.

Right now, everyone is an unproven commodity. GW, we don't know what he's going to do as HC, same with Schwartz, Meeks, Grimm. The proven commodities are Cowher, Schotty, etc. Are you saying you want those guys?

We don't know what's going to happen. All of the current coaches on our list, are unproven candidates. So we don't know what we're going to get with any HC until the season starts.

Being objective, outside of the continuity issue, hiring Mora is easier to defend than Williams. Like most, I am leaning toward Gregg, but the fact is he was an AWFUL head coach in Buffalo. He ran an offense that made Gibbs with Brunell look explosive. By most accounts, the players and team employees couldn't wait for him to leave. I'm sure all of this is giving Snyder pause.

Meanwhile, Mora won more games than he lost.

If your boss says do the job my way or the highway. What the hell do you do??? Does that make you a bad employee because your boss has a crush on someone else??

If you re-read my post, you'll notice that the first line I said, "This is a wait and see move for me.". Meaning that I don't know what to think about him as a HC, because he had his ups and downs as HC.

Right now, everyone is an unproven commodity. GW, we don't know what he's going to do as HC, same with Schwartz, Meeks, Grimm. The proven commodities are Cowher, Schotty, etc. Are you saying you want those guys?

We don't know what's going to happen. All of the current coaches on our list, are unproven candidates. So we don't know what we're going to get with any HC until the season starts.

Yes, I would take Cowher over Mora in a heart beat. Yes, I would take Williams over Mora. No contest. I don't know alot about Grimm but certainly he is right in there. Williams is not an unproven commodity- he has a record as a HC and he has a good history with this team. Hiring Mora would be a huge risk. I don't think this organization (ie- Snyder and Cerratio) can afford to blow a HC selection again.

I don't want Mora. He's not right for Redskins in my opinion. That doesn't make him a bad coach though. I just don't think he fits us.

I have one question. Why? Who "fits" us? Our defensive coordinator who has had an up and down tenure here and failed miserably in his previous HC gig? Please, enlighten me.

. Also, we will go back to the days of Mr. "5-11, not very good". :doh:

Kind of like 2006? I love how people act as though we are coming off 3 straight Super Bowl appearances. Come on people, I''m as delusional as any Redskins fan out there, but we are the definition of mediocre as a franchise right now. New blood isnt necessarily a bad thing.

I have one question. Why? Who "fits" us? Our defensive coordinator who has had an up and down tenure here and failed miserably in his previous HC gig? Please, enlighten me.

Mora failed in his previous HC gig also. You would be willing to give him a second chance but not Gregg Williams who has a commitment to this organization? I have some misgivings about Williams, but heres to hoping that he's learned some humility and learned from some of his mistakes.

How is taking a team from 3-13 to 8-8 "failing miserably"? If he had a QB that could keep from getting concussions every week, he would have had a better 03 as well.

And if it's not Williams, fine. But Mora is such an obviously bad choice...just, uggh, Awful, awful move if true.

The main reason I wanted Williams to get the job is for consistency. We finally have a team in which the offense and defense have been running the same system for a few seasons. Bringing someone in from the outside means starting from scratch. We hire someone besides Williams and I don't see him staying put. I just don't want to see the whole coaching staff blown up again.

Yes, I would take Cowher over Mora in a heart beat. Yes, I would take Williams over Mora. No contest. I don't know alot about Grimm but certainly he is right in there. Williams is not an unproven commodity- he has a record as a HC and he has a good history with this team. Hiring Mora would be a huge risk. I don't think this organization (ie- Snyder and Cerratio) can afford to blow a HC selection again.

Obviously anyone would take Cowher over Mora. But as of right now, no one knows what any of these current candidates are going to do if they become HC.

It's also funny that you say that GW is not an unproven commodity, while Mora is. When in all actuality Mora has a better record as HC than does Williams (26-22 vs. 17-31), plus he's been to an NFC Championship game. They both had issues with their respective teams, they both made some major gaffes as HC. They both have, since, coached under HOF caliber coaches (I believe Holmgren will be in the HOF). So they both could have learned a lot and matured a lot as HC material. And as it stands hiring either coach would be a risk. So we're all really just forced to wait and see with whomever Snyder hires (also remember the Gibbs has been part of the process, so don't think that this is all Snyder).

I just don't see how you can say that Mora is the wrong choice but be so sure that GW is the right/better choice. We wont know that until a few months from now.

How is taking a team from 3-13 to 8-8 "failing miserably"? If he had a QB that could keep from getting concussions every week, he would have had a better 03 as well.

And if it's not Williams, fine. But Mora is such an obviously bad choice...just, uggh, Awful, awful move if true.

17-31 is failing miserably, I'm sorry. And you still didnt answer my question about how Mora doesnt "fit" the Redskins.

And FWIW, I'm not saying I want Mora over Williams. In fact, I'd prefer Williams. I'm just trying to find out why everyone is so pro- GW and anti Mora. Thats all.

Archived