Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hiring Jim Mora Jr. as HC would be a mistake

nneece

I don't disagree with most of what you've said. Except that what I said is incorrect :)

All I said is that he was more sucessful that GW was as a head coach. And I was guaguing that sucess by record (and making the playoffs). Not saying any of that other stuff isn't true, only that he was (loosly defined) more sucessful that GW as a HC. And that the players liked him - but your'e right, that's probalby a bad thing.

When GW was HC the players didn't like him very much but as a DC the players loved him...it is really hard to gauge what will happen, no one will know for sure either way until one of them is a HC again

I think he has been trying to move in the right direction from day one but effort and results are two different things.

Bringing Gibbs back was not successful; losing record, under-performing teams, especially on offense. Joe's return is the centerpiece of the dysfunction central to the team today. Joe even said at the resignation conference that he wanted to try something different (the beauraucracy he built) instead of what he did the first time and Joe said it didn't work. So, we never even got Joe Gibbs, the coach, in the first place. And if you don't agree that Joe coming back was a mistake then listen to more words from the man himself; he thinks the team is on the right track. If so, Snyder would have promoted Gregg that day, told Saunders to stick around and everyone get some rest because next year is coming fast.

If you still disagree, look at the cap chaos we have looming along with the questions marks in terms of players that can't even begin to be addressed as long as the new coach is up in the air. New direction? Old direction but better? Combination direction?

Joe Gibbs the HOF coach was the product of a demanding owner as was Bobby Beathard; win or get fired. That's not nice. That's not family friendly, that's not a way any of us would like our children to be treated. It is, however, how success is achieved in the NFL.

Look at what it cost people like Andy Reid and Tony Dungy. Look how tough it was on Joe the first time around. It's a tough, brutal job. You have to treat your players like farm animals; produce or beat it. It consumes people and it's not for every body.

Joe sold tickets. He didn't win football games and that is fine. They were an entertaining, exciting, frustrating, interesting team the last four years.

All I am saying is Mora seems to be a 'football' decision; not some left field shocker, not a reinvent the wheel and recapture old glory choice like Gibbs who would have never come back if not for the mountain of cash, not a 'I dare you' pick like Marty who was actually getting the job done and got canned, not a 'how cool is this choice like Spurrier who had to be talked into the job.

Mora, I think you are right, isn't a good pick and will alienate the fan base and means, likely, a starting over of the whole team.

If you want a Joe Gibbs I, then you hire a young hungry assistant, like Gibbs was, and you hire a young hungry personnel genius in training. You want Gibbs and Beathard before they become Gibbs and Beathard and that is the one thing Snyder does seem interested in.

So, a move in the right direction? Anh. The guy is making a fortune.

Seems to be doing fine.

I think 2 things sunk Gibbs II. First, Gibbs insistence on hiring and sticking to Mark Brunell. Bad decision. MB career was mostly over and we maybe got 1 season of decent play from him out of 3 but very inconsistent.

Second, I think Gibbs conservative nature in play calling got the better of him the second time around. This was not the Gibbs of old, but old age, etc. made him more conservative in nature when today's NFL requires that you take chances.

That being said, you have to say that Gibbs II had some success based on the simple fact that we went to the playoffs twice in that time period. Granted, we didn't do a whole lot when we got there but anytime you make it to the playoffs has to be considered a successful season.

From a business standpoint, bringing Gibbs back was a huge success in terms of rallying the fans, remembering the old days of glory, etc.

To get back to Mora :) rumors are flying that Holmgren will step down...
Mike has said, since people started asking a couple of weeks ago, that he would take some time with his wife at the end of the season to evaluate the season and his future (as I mentioned here ).

Sure hope his decision is to come back, at least for one more year ...

The Mora, or any other surprise appointment, would blow up everything Joe Gibbs did for this team, namely, gave us depth and hungry players.

I am watching this selection with a close mind. Williams is the right choice. Forget about his record in Buffalo. That was a maiden vouyage to get his feet wet as a head coach. Gregg deserves this appointment as HC.

The Mora, or any other surprise appointment, would blow up everything Joe Gibbs did for this team, namely, gave us depth and hungry players.

I am watching this selection with a close mind. Williams is the right choice. Forget about his record in Buffalo. That was a maiden vouyage to get his feet wet as a head coach. Gregg deserves this appointment as HC.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Archived