Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Black candidates

Robbnva

Is it a win-win if say a Joe Gibbs comes out of retirement and says he wants to coach the Redskins, whom had an open position, but they are forced to interview a minority coach. With some jobs its just so set in stone that this person is going to get the job, then nobody wins for givign a fake interview to meet a quota.

Yes, it is still a win-win. JG was here 4 years. There's always the possibility the minority coach they interviewed at that time is in the hunt for a HC job now. Having interviewed him once already, they'll have a very good feel for how he's progressed and if he's made the leap to viable candidate.

The success of the rule is predicated on the teams doing a genuine job with the interview, even if they already have their candidate chosen. The team learns something about a coach, and a candidate learns about the process and what things he needs to work on.

I've yet to see a convincing argument that there are negative repurcussions from granting an interview.

if you want to look at qualified black coaches, i think we have couple on our staff Byner and Blache. However, to me its not a black or white thing in terms of who i would like. I just want this team to win, point blank.*smoot voice*

Guess what - the Rooney Rule makes it a black-white thing. They call this "progress".

First off I want to apologize to all who want to bash me but I have searched and really didn't see anything specifically about this.

To let everyone know first I am white and I don't care about black or white coaches, I just want someone who can do the job! Since I grew up in the area in a diverse area I know that anyone is capable of doing anything if they put their mind to it. I also know that DC has been given the nickname of "Chocolate City" so wouldn't the idea of a Black Head Coach in the Nations Capital be a sign of the Redskins moving forward and rectifying the fact they were the last team to have a black player and it was basically forced upon them.

NOW I have read this board all week of Williams, Cowher, Carroll, Grim, etc, etc, etc but no real names of Black Coaches who should get a shot. I know the rooney rule requires atleast 1 to be interviewed but are there any OCs or DCs out there that truly deserve a shot. I would love the experts of ES to pony up some names that Redskins could consider as a Black Head Coach.

Color is meaningless to me, find me a qualified coach and I don't care if his skin is the color of tomato sauce, if hes' the best applicant then you hire him.

BTW, What minority coaches would be qualified? Can anyone put a list together cause I haven't got a clue :/

Yes, it is still a win-win. JG was here 4 years. There's always the possibility the minority coach they interviewed at that time is in the hunt for a HC job now. Having interviewed him once already, they'll have a very good feel for how he's progressed and if he's made the leap to viable candidate.

The success of the rule is predicated on the teams doing a genuine job with the interview, even if they already have their candidate chosen. The team learns something about a coach, and a candidate learns about the process and what things he needs to work on.

I've yet to see a convincing argument that there are negative repurcussions from granting an interview.

All good points. I was against the Rooney Rule at first, but now that I've seen it in action, I think it's a very good thing. As you said, it doesn't hurt the team at all, and it really helps everyone.

The problem is that although most people don't believe they are racist or discriminate, but our culture influences people so that they have certain tenancies that favor certain groups in various areas of rewards. (Note I have been heavily involved in studying and writing diversity plans) They may not be malicious, but their tendencies create unfair advantages (sometimes grossly unfair) for certain groups. The "rule" tries to break the tendencies with exposure to other candidates. Once exposed to quality candidates, the tendencies to favor one group may/will change. No one is advocating mandatory jobs for anyone, just the opportunity to present their credentials. In the private sector anyone can apply for many jobs. This is not the case in the NFL, THE RULE CREATES THE OPPORTUNITY FOR PEOPLE WITHOUT DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ANYONE. How can anyone be against this?

Peace -cb

PS - Look at the win/loss records of the black coaches vs. the average.

Can the title be changed to read "Minority candidates" instead of "Black candidates"? The Rooney Rule is for any minority to be interviewed, not just black coaches.

Is Norm Chow considered a minority? He is a native on Honolulu.

Everyone we interview will be very well qualified. We will get the best.

Jim Caldwell is excellent. He is Dungy's assistant right now.

It's not a load of crap, everybody deserves a fair shot. Especially when you look at the rosters of NFL teams. Also if minorites didn't get a shot you will still get the same old retreads like Norv Turner and Marty Schotheimer, which neither one of them have done anything special as a head coach, but they keep getting jobs. You mean to tell me that there isn't a qualified African American out there that could do as good as those mediocre coaches if not better? Get real man.

i agree with you. i'm tired of seeing the same 5 guys getting jobs. at least in the last few years, there has been more diversity in coaching (white and black).

what ever happened to wayne fontes?

Even if there is a guy out there who really deserves a shot, I think it's really sad that we would fly him to DC and parade him around when we have little or no intention of hiring him. I know I'd feel like a jerk doing that if I were an owner.

I think Blache already said he wouldn't do it unless he really had a shot.

Sorry When I seached Black in thread title & in posts and since nothing was mentioned in that post about him being black it did not come in the search. I will read that thread now and I would appreciate it if you could close this down or merge it and please have mercy on my soul.

Honestly, what does the color of the skin of a coach have to do with their coaching ability. The reason that you didn't find Black in the thread title or in the posts was likely because you were thinking that people would discuss them because of their skin color while people should be discussing people because of their coaching ability. Honestly if we are truely not a racist country then why can't we treat everyone equally instead of saying that maybe we should make an effort to hire a coach who is black.

...So, IMO, having to interview a minority candidate is a Win-Win. The candidate gains valuable experience and teams learn about coaches that might not have been on their radar. As long as the team's select coaches that are on the right path to being a HC, and do a serious interview, everyone wins. This isn't Affirmative Action. No one's being forced to hire someone due to skin color or meet any quotas.

Often overlooked points. The Rooney Rule could be subtitled as the "Letting Minority Candidates Get Their Foot in the Door" rule.

Even if there is a guy out there who really deserves a shot, I think it's really sad that we would fly him to DC and parade him around when we have little or no intention of hiring him. I know I'd feel like a jerk doing that if I were an owner.

It's all about intention. And even if you were a "place-holder" interviewee, you as the candidate, can always say no. It's one thing to be paraded across television wearing an orange jumpsuit and having your coat pulled up over your face (like if you committed a crime).

But who in their right mind (assuming the person actually had HC aspirations), would turn down a wine-and-dine evening with Snyder and friends? Free trip, free food, name gets recognition in league circles, enhance reputation as a team player, shows the league you have interest in promotion and heck, you might even get a multi-million $$$ job offer. That's my kind of parade. And besides, what's to lose?

Here's a short list of some reasonable candidates, that as far as I know,

would satisfy the Rooney Rule requirements. Most, if not all, are either very experienced or at least hold high ranking positions on their respective coaching staffs.

There are a multitude of other candidates which meet minority qualifications, but I omitted those which appear to be obvoiusly lesser qualified (ages are quick approximations):

1. Greg Blache, WAS DC, Age 58.

2. Jim Caldwell, Ind Asst HC/QB, Age 53.

3. Maurice Carthon, AZ RB, Age 46.

4. Juan Castillo, PHI O-line, Age 48.

5. Norm Chow, TN OC, Age 61.

6. Ted Cottrell, SD D-coord., Age 60.

7. Henry Ellard, STL WR, Age 46.

8. Leslie Frazier, Minn DC, Age 48.

9. Chick Harris, HOU RB, Age 62.

10. Stan Hixon, WAS WR, Age 50.

11. Hue Jackson, ATL OC, Age 42.

12. Pepper Johnson, NE D-line, Age 43.

13. Lloyd Lee, Chi D-asst, Age 31.

14. Ron Meeks, Ind DC, Age 53.

15. Jimmy Raye, NYJ RB-coach, Age 61.

16. Ron Rivera, Chi DC, Age 45.

17. Ray Sherman, Dal WR, Age 56.

18. Mike Singletary, SF Asst HC/LB, Age 49.

19. Sherman Smith, TN Asst HC/Off, Age 53.

20. Emmitt Thomas, ATL Int HC, Age 64.

21. Art Valero, TB Asst HC/RB, Age 49.

The fact my list ended up with '21' candidates was entirely coincidental (disclaimer for any trolling Seattle fans).

Archived