Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Joe Gibbs To Retire As Head Coach; Remains in Redskins’ Family

TK

I started to think this was coming last night after watching coverage of his press conference. My take is this: it was a very hard season on him, he's almost 70, his grandson is sick and he managed to get the team into the playoffs regardless. Many teams would have folded just from the injuries, let alone Sean taylor's death. To rally the team the way he did, Gibbs put in one of the best coaching performances in history. It's always better to go out on top and on your own terms.
It really is a young mans game.

I love Coach Gibbs, and I still feel he's the best Coach I've ever seen. I say this as I was displeased with the way we were losing games this year (and last year). Blowing so many halftime leads is hard on everyone; Coach, players, fans, owner - but the way he rallied the team down the stretch was so remarkable. I believe with Williams and Saunders in place, the team is poised for a championship run.

If someone else gets hired....its back to the drawing board.

I love you coach. I was criical of the play calling throughout the year, but I admit that I realized it wasn't all on Gibbs, and that most of that fell on Saunders. Things were starting to click. I'm ambivalent right now, but kinda sad. I feel the players respond to Gibbs more than anything. Sigh. I just pray we get Cowher.

For all the people screaming "Joe must go", well it looks like you got your wish. You people really amaze me. From the period after Gibbs I and before his return this team made the playoffs one freaking time. Since he came back we made the playoffs twice in the four years.

But you're right; Gibbs was the problem with this team. So I guess since we got rid of him, it'll be Super Bowl time right?

Give me a break.

I won't be holding my breathe.

God bless you Joe Gibbs. And thank you for restoring some sense of respectability to this organization.

I just heard about this while at work, and one of my co-workers told me. I didn't believe it til I checked the website. Through all the turmoil this year, he did a tremendous job, and have nothing but praises to say about him. I wish you the best in the future Joe. Thanks for the memories.

Video from (Steve) Sabol's Shot on Joe Gibbs - I wanted to share...

Sabol says.. 'The Patriots quest for perfection has been this season's biggest story. Bu the way the Redskins have dealt with imperfection may be it's BEST story'

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d805bd3d7

If you were a Gibbs basher - and never understood his loyalty and determination to ALL his players - even the one's that fell out of grace with the media.. the way Coach ALWAY did the right thing even when it wasn't the easy thing - paid off when the chips were down, the team rallied to him... and he got them through the hard times. Those bricks he laid for the past four years made the strong foundation.. and the players have changed, the coaches have changed and even Dan Snyder has changed because of it. A great man and a great Coach.

If you don't believe me... read the article in the Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/08/AR2008010801636.html

see what every player to a man says about having Coach Gibbs be their Coach.

Thank you Coach Gibbs... we will miss you!

Archived