Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would we have made the playoffs if...

Obibyn23

Sean Taylor had not passed away?

With Campbell on the sidelines, and Collins at the helm, do you think we still would have made the playoffs? Would this team have been inspired enough on the sheer fact the playoffs were within reach?

Would we have beaten Buffalo?

Just curious on the opinions of my Skins brethren.

• 6 months later...

I believe if Taylor had not been killed and was able to play vs. Buffalo we beat them, because they do not complete that late 30-yard pass over the middle to put them in field goal position at the end of the game; however, I don't know how motivated the team plays with Sean on the field, if Collins still plays like he did the last 4 games, then I say we make the playoffs easily...with that being said, I know everyone will agree, I would give back those 4 wins and the playoff appearance in a heartbeat to have Sean still with us and able to play this upcoming season.

Until the skins learn to treat the home ground as special and we dont get beaten there we will struggle, we must start winning at home, teams used to hate going to the other ground we have to do that again, we must win 8 out of 8 at home, this puts pressure on the other three teams in the division and forces them to try and win games. But with Sean in the team I do beleive that we would have gone on.

If Todd had started from the beginning, then we would have easily won another 2-3 games. Campbells back to back interceptions in the red zone at the end of the game two weeks straight killed any of the team's momentum. Todd from day 1 would have meant the skins would have been 11-5 or 12-4, IMO.

Having Taylor would have made the team that much better. The redskins offense was high-powered with Collins at the helm. Taylor on Defense would have made this team scary. We should just be thankful that when Todd finally got to play, he made a good run, because were were teetering on the brink, just like in 2005...

Impossible to say for sure. They were playing with a ton of emotion and a QB with a hot hand. Emotion can only take you so far.... Gibbs held them together and had them focused (and made me believe in Gibbs again) but I am not sure that would have been there had ST been there.

They played mistake free ball for 4 straight games but maybe their true colors showed in the Seattle Blowout.

Either way, it was a great ride and they did Sean proud.

Personally, I don't think that's the proper question to ask. The question I'd ask is,"Would we have made the playoffs if Campbell didn't get hurt?"

So, more along the lines of your question, no. I don't think the Skins would have made the playoffs if Taylor survived, and Campbell played.

Even before Sean passed, there were a few key games we should have won, and with a solid secondary (as you can agree in the Dallas game, with those T.O. breakaway touchdowns) we would have prevented a few key losses in my opinion. Had the offense still done their job, well, same outcome, we're still in the playoffs.

The reason we got into the playoffs had nothing to do with Taylor's death. It had everything to do with Saunders finally putting his foot down when Collins was in and getting to call his own plays, not the Brundlefly Offense that Gibbs tried to run.

We'd have been better off in the Postseason if we had WR's tall enough to get on the rides at Six Flags, too.

I believe if Taylor had not been killed and was able to play vs. Buffalo we beat them, because they do not complete that late 30-yard pass over the middle to put them in field goal position at the end of the game;

I don't think he would have played that game due to his injury...

We did make the playoffs...

I really do question alot of people on this board.

Damn...

It's obvious we made the playoffs...Its a random "What If" thought that crossed my mind...back in January...and you question me? What exactly are you questioning? From your response..I question YOU...

But really people, I posted this back in January, and at the time it got no replies, so it was used as an example for a thread I was ashamed off making for this thread in the tailgate.

http://extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251681&page=1&pp=15

I guess my point back in January was basically..Did the emotion felt by this team over a fallen teammate help ride us into the playoffs?

When was ST supposed to be back? I feel like if he had come back we would have probably come out of that slump in a similar fashion.

People dont really realize what kind of season he was having. When he passed away he was leading the league in INTs with 5 in only 9 games. He had a bad game in Green Bay and still had 2 INTs, should have had at least 2 more.

I just cant remember if he was good to go or if he was out for a little longer. If he comes back for Buffalo or Chicago, I think we probly have a similar streak to get into the playoffs.

Damn. This is making me really sad.

So, more along the lines of your question, no. I don't think the Skins would have made the playoffs if Taylor survived, and Campbell played.

If Taylor was not injured for the Eagles and Dallas games, we most likely would have won both, and Campbell could have been 7-5 at worst heading into the Bears game.

Then again, if Santana Moss didn't have a complete meltdown against Green Bay, that 7-5 record could have been 8-4 heading into the Bears game...and Collins pretty much was a non-factor through the first three quarters of the Bears game and we still had a sizeable lead. Collins was rather ordinary against the Giants but our defense and running game pulled us through. We very well could have won both with Campbell. Then again maybe the playcalling is different with JC in there than it was with Collins...

Just too may "ifs" to really reach any conclusions about any of this, though...

Archived