Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle's so-called home field advantage (merged)

fish

I was there in 05 for the playoff game and i will say it got as loud as it can be in Fedex. No one in seattle was a football fan prior to 05 so for the most part they're not as football smart as they like to think they are. Not a single person in Seattle will admit they play in the weakest division much less that they're arent as good as their record...

Seattle likes to think they invented crowd noise. :laugh:

Do you just make up things as you go along? Nobody in Seattle thinks we invented crowd noise. We just pride ourselves on being about to create more of it than just about everybody. And yes, Park City Skins is right -- the noise does not maintain its intensity throughout the entire game -- in that respect, we are exactly like all other teams. But our maximum volume is where the braggin' rights are -- that, and the false start record.

All kinds of people in Seattle were fans in the late 70's and 80's. As a matter of fact, we were one game away from playing you guys in the Super Bowl the year you lost to the Raiders. The number 12 was retired in 1984 in honor of the fans, who had given the old Kingdome the same reputation Qwest enjoys now. (And yes, I know it's a dome, but there were other domed stadiums that did not share the reputation for ear-splitting noise.) And the 70's and 80's occurred "prior to 05."

Unfortunately for us, the team was bought by Ken Behring, who helped ruin the team and the relationship it had with the community. So the 90's were very forgettable. It took a few years after Paul Allen bought the team to re-establish that relationship.

And about the record -- there's only one person I'm aware of, some Seattle moron that started a thread here talking smack about the NFCE, who might deny the Seahawks play in a weak division. Everyone else readily admits it. However, the NFCW is not the weakest division. Looking at the records of all the teams in each division, the AFCW has the same record as the NFCW. And if you disregard the records of the top teams in each division (since division leaders' opponent strength is really what you're trying to compare), then the AFCE is by far the weakest division. But don't let that throw you off your talking point.

As far as not being as good as our record, let's just wait 'til Saturday to decide that one.

These dumb seasquaks come on here talking about the 12th man like they invented it. It's a shame that they were too unoriginal to come up with something of their own.

You mean like the Redskins? The Redskins were one of the teams that used "12th Man" in some form going into the 2005 season. As were the Bears, as were the Bills, among others. Oh, how unoriginal all those teams are!

Boy, show me a Seahawk post anywhere that indicates that fan thinks we invented the 12th Man! (And if you can actually come up with one, I will happily admit you found an idiot.)

Texas A&M initially popularized the 12th Man. But in the half century after they started it, the 12th Man lost its identity as an Aggie-specific thing among most people who were not Aggies or who lived in Texas. The Seahawks retired the number 12 in honor of the fans in 1984. Texas A&M applied for trademark status in 1990 and 1996. In 2005, when A&B filed its lawsuit, they didn't want anybody using "12th Man" other than A&M, for any reason. And yet they agreed to a settlement in which the Seahawks pay a nominal annual fee in exchange for unlimited use of the trademarked 12th Man, as long as they acknowledge the licensing agreement. If you're paying attention, that represents a loss for A&M's side. Another Redskin fan was attempting to give me a hard time about that agreement, just as you're doing here -- he was under the impression that lots of sales of Seahawks' 12th Man stuff would result in a pile of cash going to his alma mater. So sorry, not the case.

You mean like the Redskins? The Redskins were one of the teams that used "12th Man" in some form going into the 2005 season. As were the Bears, as were the Bills, among others. Oh, how unoriginal all those teams are!

Show me proof that Redskins officials used the term "12th Man" going into the 2005 season, and newspaper reporters don't count. Better go ahead and trademark the 13th, 14th and 15th man because you're gonna need them this Sat.

Face it, you Seahawk fans have what we call the 'NFL Little Man Syndrome'. Just like short men in the real world, you gotta be all fired up all the time and run around talking smack, even though you have nothing to back it up with. Just like Detroit (Barry Sanders) and Arizona (???), the Seattle Seahawks (the 12th man) are blips in the NFL history map, so you have to hang onto the one thing that you have, whether it be legit (like Barry Sanders) or a farse (the 12th man).

The Seattle Seahawks are to the NFL what the South Carolina Game****s are to college football...comedic relief.

Also, FEDEX, RFK, Arrowhead, East Rutherford, Philadelphia, Mile High, Oakland Coliseum have NEVER been accused of piping in crowd noise.

Not that I want to open up that can of worms again... but FedEx has been accused of piping in crowd noise this season and quite a few of us on ES who have been to the games can attest to having heard something to that affect over the stadium speakers. It was most notable in the Giants home game and only really happened in "appropriate" situations (i.e. where more noise would help the team most).

Face it, you Seahawk fans have what we call the 'NFL Little Man Syndrome'. Just like short men in the real world, you gotta be all fired up all the time and run around talking smack, even though you have nothing to back it up with. Just like Detroit (Barry Sanders) and Arizona (???), the Seattle Seahawks (the 12th man) are blips in the NFL history map, so you have to hang onto the one thing that you have, whether it be legit (like Barry Sanders) or a farse (the 12th man).

The Seattle Seahawks are to the NFL what the South Carolina Game****s are to college football...comedic relief.

What exactly do you define as "smack"? (And what the heck is an "NFL history map"?) It seems to me that your post has more smack in it than anything I have posted -- does that make you the guy with the Little Man Syndrome?

You have your traditions, we have ours. The more compelled you are to ridicule our traditions, the more I conclude you are insecure in yours.

Here is what I am thinking about this whole situation.

As a 'Skins fan I wonder why homefield advantage is THE, primary point of refuge for 'Hawks fans. Hasselbeck is a good quarterback, Alexander has his days, Burleson can be dangerous and Tatupu is a player that you have to have your eyes on every play. Somehow all of that gets speedbumped by the Seahawk faithful in a rush to narcissiticly expound accolades for the 12th Man.

If anything the inverse is true for a 'Skins squad that has had to deal with losing pillars on both sides of the ball. Jansen, Thomas, Campbell, Rogers, McIntosh, and of course ST, are all missing from the depth chart. That means that half of the secondary, the right side of the O-Line and the field general are not on the field. Rather than boast of the abilities of 'Skins fans to get the team to Texas Stadium we point to Joe Gibbs, ST and the players who draw strength from those men. We look to the strong legs of Portis and Betts. The wits of Collin, Saunders and Gibbs. The chin of Gregg Williams and the hearts of the men on the field.

I think that is one reason why Seattle draws flack for their fanbase. I remember watching Dave Krieg throw to Brian Blades when they were playing Bennie Blades (who sired H.B. Blades). I remember watching John L. Williams catch passes out of the backfield. I remember when Sam Adams played alongside Cortez Kennedy. Ask your everyday #12 Jersey sporting 'Hawk fans who those guys are and you will get blank stares. It is that lack of legacy that many of the ES sort of fans would earmark as requirements for holding the title of "Fan". It may not matter to those in Blue and Green why the fanbases from the east look down on them, but I am hoping to translate a bit.

Cheesehawk fans will soon be exposed as the frauds they really are when the Redskins score 21 points in the first quarter before controlling the clock for 45 minutes en route to a 31-10 drubbing of the sorry seahawks.

The terrible display by the Hawks' D in their last regular season game against Atlanta was nothing more than a huge fluke. There's no way that the current Hawks' D will surrender more than 2 TDs in a single quarter on Saturday if they play their best.

The terrible display by the Hawks' D in their last regular season game against Atlanta was nothing more than a huge fluke. There's no way that the current Hawks' D will surrender more than 2 TDs in a single quarter on Saturday if they play their best.

not sure that your last sentence is even true but for sake of argument lets say it is.......thats still a monumental IF.

Don't blame us, we live in a world of what have you done for me lately, and lately your D sucks!!

I have to agree, I was stationed at Ft. Lewis and took my son to the Redskin-Seahawk game. I have also been to RFK during a regular season game and can tell you, the noise level is not even comparable, RFK was MUCH louder. Seahawk fans are fairweather fans also, not a real football town. Sure, they support their team, but only when winning. Watch, if the Redskins jump out to an early lead (as they did when I took my son), the fans will start leaving.

Hail Redskins!!!!

Exaclty who has Seattle played this year who has a good offense? This is not the same Seattle team of 2005. They are soft.

Do you just make up things as you go along? Nobody in Seattle thinks we invented crowd noise. We just pride ourselves on being about to create more of it than just about everybody. And yes, Park City Skins is right -- the noise does not maintain its intensity throughout the entire game -- in that respect, we are exactly like all other teams. But our maximum volume is where the braggin' rights are -- that, and the false start record.

All kinds of people in Seattle were fans in the late 70's and 80's. As a matter of fact, we were one game away from playing you guys in the Super Bowl the year you lost to the Raiders. The number 12 was retired in 1984 in honor of the fans, who had given the old Kingdome the same reputation Qwest enjoys now. (And yes, I know it's a dome, but there were other domed stadiums that did not share the reputation for ear-splitting noise.) And the 70's and 80's occurred "prior to 05."

Unfortunately for us, the team was bought by Ken Behring, who helped ruin the team and the relationship it had with the community. So the 90's were very forgettable. It took a few years after Paul Allen bought the team to re-establish that relationship.

And about the record -- there's only one person I'm aware of, some Seattle moron that started a thread here talking smack about the NFCE, who might deny the Seahawks play in a weak division. Everyone else readily admits it. However, the NFCW is not the weakest division. Looking at the records of all the teams in each division, the AFCW has the same record as the NFCW. And if you disregard the records of the top teams in each division (since division leaders' opponent strength is really what you're trying to compare), then the AFCE is by far the weakest division. But don't let that throw you off your talking point.

As far as not being as good as our record, let's just wait 'til Saturday to decide that one.

Nice, well written post - good luck (but not THAT good).

Over 4 quarters that's 8 TDs. :laugh:

Still, giving up over 40 points to the Falcons should worry you. We're alot better than they are. All we did was distroy the best team in the NFC.

Exaclty who has Seattle played this year who has a good offense? This is not the same Seattle team of 2005. They are soft.

Let's see.....the Hawks did beat the Bucs, who have the Garcia factor, a division crown, and a winning record. And just because the Hawks allowed Hutch to leave Seattle doesn't necessarily make them soft.

Arrowhead isn't just loud, but the Chief fans are very smart. They are silent when KC is on offense. I wish the fans at Fed-Ex were as disciplined.

Agreed! Arrowhead was impressive.

I got to see the Bills on SUN night and da Raydahs SUN 4pm game after Thanksgiving. MAN was THAT day cold! Ambient temps were in the 20s, with wind, the upper decks were hitting negative single digits - the game went down to the end - game winning FG drive in the 4th QTR. NOBODY left; the seats stayed filled through the entire game. The fanbase is smart and cohesive both in and out of the stadium.

It's hard to replicate that in the largest stadium in the league, in a town filled with people from other places, with numerous other entertainment options available to them. Having said THAT - FEDEX does pretty good. Winning fixes ALL of that.

Also, FEDEX, RFK, Arrowhead, East Rutherford, Philadelphia, Mile High, Oakland Coliseum have NEVER been accused of piping in crowd noise.

Au contraire:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213260

"3) I am disappointed, in fact shocked, that we PIPE CROWD NOISE IN. I don't how long that has been going on, but I think that is BUSH LEAGUE. Don't tell me that it didn't happen, it did. I am embarassed that my team has stooped to that level!"

Archived