Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle's so-called home field advantage (merged)

fish

I'm calling BS on the Seahawks homefield advantage! :bsflag:

In interest of full disclosure, my source of information is secondhand, but I trust the source. My source is my buddy that is stationed at Fort Lewis, WA, just south of the city. Now he hasn't been there this season because he deployed last APR, but he claims that all the hype about the so-called vaunted 12th man is just that - hype.

His credentials? He is a born and bred Kansas City Chiefs fan. He grew up watching an OK team with a fervent fan base in a stadium recognized by numerous sources as one with one of the biggest home field advantages in the entire league. One advantage to the soldier life style is that we get the opportunity to see different teams, stadiums and fan bases. He has seen numerous NFL games in numerous different stadiums, to include a visit to FEDEX as my guest AND he saw 5 games over the 2005 and 2006 seasons in Seattle. He played football at the Citadel, so he does know the game. That being said...........

He says that the stadium is just NOT that loud and rates behind both Arrowhead and FEDEX in loudness for outdoor stadiums and behind both the Metrodome and the Rams' indoor arenas. Also, FEDEX, RFK, Arrowhead, East Rutherford, Philadelphia, Mile High, Oakland Coliseum have NEVER been accused of piping in crowd noise.

So I say :bfd: on the loudness factor.

He told me that he walked up to the ticket window and bought tickets for 2 games during the 2005 season. That's right - I said THE TICKET window - NOT a scalper. As you well know, this would be unheard of at FEDEX as well as many other stadiums that routinely sellout. He said he could have got tickets for cost for the Skins playoff game. I was trying to get out there for the game. Since he was my man on the ground, I asked him to check it out. He did and found plenty of tickets available at cost for a playoff game. (I couldn't swing it with work, so we didn't go). He also described the tailgate scene earily similiar to the wine and cheese crowd usually associated with San Francisco. Very very foo foo, all greatly genteel.

So I call BS on the "rampant fan" aspect of Seahawk nation.

The moniker of "12th man" as we all know, is not even an original; it was invented at the college level and has become common, generic stereotype synonymous for fan enthusiasm. They have a seamstress that can sew up a flag with a big 12 on it - Congratulations! :notworthy (sarcasm).

It rains everywhere - we have proved we can play in the elements - see @ NY Giants!

I was VERY confident before the Vikings game. I'm not as confident for this game.......but the so-called home field advantage is NOT something I'm worried about. The Seahawks will be a worhty opponent, but the biggest challenge will be on the field, not in the stands! :2cents:

If anybody has 1st hand knowledge, please share!

HAIL!

So.....it looks like someone wants to challenge the Seahawks' almighty 12th man. To question the Seahawks' home field advantage is to question the Seahawks' 12th man. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure he would be more than happy to accept your challenge. In the meantime, go ask the Giants how they got charged with 11 false-start penalties in a single game at Qwest Field.

So.....it looks like someone wants to challenge the Seahawks' almighty 12th man. To question the Seahawks' home field advantage is to question the Seahawks' 12th man. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure he would be more than happy to accept your challenge. In the meantime, go ask the Giants how they got charged with 11 false-start penalties in a single game at Qwest Field.

That o-line was notorious for false starts though.

easy to have a so called "home field advantage" when you play the sorry schedule that the seahawks did this season :/ I mean their only win against a team with a winning record was against the bucs in week 1 who finished 9-7. and their last game against a team that made the playoffs this season was week 5 when the lost to the steelers 21-0. the one thing they aren't is battle tested, and if there is one thing you can't deny about the skins is that they have been battle tested this entire season as game after game has come down to the wire.

I know the networks press the home field advantage factor, but it's only as good as the home team and its performance. I know the Redskins have the toughness to beat any team on the road. Qwest Field is a tough place to play, but so are most road stadiums. Enough good defensive plays by the Skins can easily quiet the crowd down.

Well even if they do, rain should subdue some of the noise by blocking the sound physically, and by making conditions miserable for fans in their seats.

The rain out there is more of a drizzle, misty sort of rain, not a real frog strangling rain like we are used to having. Not much worth bothering about.

I have never been in their stadium, but have driven by it a couple of times, its sort of odd looking.

No Lombardi trophies for you. Beagles suck

i hope this is a joke lol. anyone can come in here and say their friend said that philly fans in attendace are always great, its just the media false portrayal...nice try

I predict 31-0 Hawks at half

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bit fanatical, but be realistic.

What they don't talk about is that the stadium was designed to hold noise. Its one big sound-bowl. Yeah its loud, but credit the architect firm as much as the fans. Hawks fans you can walk up and buy a ticket for your home team, you could do also do that here in DC ummmm 40 years ago. :2cents:

What they don't talk about is that the stadium was designed to hold noise. Its one big sound-bowl. Yeah its loud, but credit the architect firm as much as the fans. Hawks fans you can walk up and buy a ticket for your home team, you could do also do that here in DC ummmm 40 years ago. :2cents:

The 12th Man was here long before the stadium was...try again.

The 12th Man was here long before the stadium was...try again.

Which really doesn't mean they're any louder now then then, at least according to the OP and the quoted poster. The 12th man was also around long before the Seattle Seahawks were if memory serves.

All we need is 8 or 9 Redskins fans in the Seattle area with crappy cars. Set your TIVOs to record the game. Then drive near the stadium around 2:30 or so local time, each on a major artery near the stadium. Then, dang it! those cars just konk out, right there in the middle of the road. All of them. Bad coincidence. That should keep the 12th man stewing on local roads at least through the first half.

Archived