Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Canelo-Cotto official for November 21st at Mandalay Bay, amazing PPV fight.  Hopefully Lemieux-GGG is priced well so most casual fans can afford a year with May-Pac, Cotto-Canelo and a GGG PPV debut

Mares-Santa Cruz

Mayweather in September

Wilder on NBC in September 

Matthyse-Postol

Cotto-Canelo

GGG-Lemieux

Arum's Dubai card with Walters

Loma-Rigo (??)

Fury-Klitschko

A Khan December fight potentially or a Khan-Thurman annoucement for 2016

Crazy end of year for boxing

Agreed, we definitely had a great year of boxing and closing out the year with a bang. From what I'm hearing, 2016 will trump 2015 in terms of match making and fights for the fans. Speaking of which, there is some light talking right now between Adonis Stevenson and Sergey Kovalev. Adonis Stevenson's team has agreed on a 50/50 split with Kovalev but would like for the highest pay tv network to show the fight. Team Kovalev said they will not let any other network then HBO have the fight. Team Stevenson responded by saying "We will fight on HBO if they outbid everyone else". 

So there's that. We'll see how this plays out. Hope something gets worked out bc this is a fight a lot of people would pay to see.

But let's talk Adonis Stevenson for a sec. His next opponent is Tommy Karpancy. The same Tommy Karpancy who took a loss against Cleverly, a loss to Murat, was stopped by Fontara... His last win was against a man with 26 losses... How the flying **** did he get a title shot?!!

Just a stay busy fight for Stevenson. That's all. As for Kovalev, he and his team needs to stop acting crazy. His last fight was garbage. I'm good with 50/50, but I don't care who broadcasts it. I would prefer Showtime, only cause I don't like Lampley. Let the networks bid on it and get it over with. 

Look out for Tim Bradley vs Brandon Rios. Here's the plan with this one. If Canelo is successful with Cotto, then the winner of Bradley-Rios goes to 154 to face Canelo. So if eveything works out as planned, you'll see Canelo-Bradley next year on ppv. Tentatively scheduled for Apr/May but they really, really want to do this one on Cinco de Mayo weekend. They seem pretty certain about this one. They don't even have a back up opponent in mind right now for Canelo.

Edited by Rexx1240

Ok let's talk Manny Pacquiao. Can't remember if I told you guys or if this was just a discussion I had with a couple people but the plan was for Manny to return at the end of this year to face Vargas. That fell thru because HBO rejected Bob Arum's request to make this a ppv bout. So it was back to the drawing board. Now we have Manny Pacquiao vs Amir Khan in Jan on ppv. As I just mentioned above, there was no Al Haymon involvement with this one. Khan has gone back to letting his dad run the business side of his boxing career.

So far, I hear Manny is on tap for two big ppv's next year. He has Khan in January then if successful, he gets fed to Terrance Crawford; in which would likely be his farewell fight. I'm sure Arum is looking at this fight as more of a "passing of the torch" for Top Rank.

Edited by Rexx1240

Let's talk Keith One Time Thurman. I'm a Keith Thurman fan.. and I understand his standpoint on Errol Spence. But it's hard not to come off as scared when you say you need $10mil to fight him yet you're in talks right now with a much lesser opponent for a lot less money. So is Errol Spence really a $10mill fighter in his eyes or is Thurman just pricing himself out of the fight?? 

I personally think Spence can beat Thurman. Thurman is nice but as far as sills go, I think Spence is a clear cut above. The only benefit of the doubt I give Thurman is level of competition in each man's respective careers thus far. But Thurman is a pretty intelligent dude by all accounts. He's no dummy and he knows Spence is NO pushover. He'll have his hands full and he understands that. Thurman believes, at this stage, it's not worth the risk. High-risk, low reward. In that regard I must say I agree with Thurman. But damn would this be a good fight to see. Easily could be built up and sold as ppv. Would be one of the most anticipated of the year, easily.

Edited by Rexx1240

Broner returns to the ring this fall in his hometown in a very winnable fight. But with AB who the hell knows these days..

Now Team Broner is still chomping at the bit for a rematch with Shawn Porter. Team Porter (more specifically papa Kenny) doesn't see a real need or demand for a rematch. Team Broner is insisting the rematch be scheduled for early next year. 

I feel like with the right offer on the table, they'd take the rematch in a heartbeat. The problem is how do you guarantee Team Porter enough money without being burned in the end. Broner will sell tickets regardless but can this rematch be built up and sold enough to force the general public to want to watch again. Strong possibility being as though it seems like now more than ever people will tune in just to watch AB take a sure ass whopping. But we'll see if they can add enough 0's to the offer sheet to force Papa Porter to change his mind.

As I said a couple days ago, boxing for next year should well surpass the great year of boxing we had this year. People want a super fight every month and realistically, it's just not gonna happen. But if everything goes as planned, these tentative plans should come to fruition and we would have another great year of boxing for the fans. HBO is leading the way next year as they have plans to broadcast six big ppv fights next year; a few I've just touched on above and a few I haven't mentioned because I'm still gathering information as we speak. Either way, look out for a big year for the sport in general. There will be competition between the networks to make the best fights and at the end of the day, the fans end up winning.

Now I'm sure you're probably asking "What does all this mean for Floyd Mayweather".. Well Floyd is scheduled to fight in September. People are starting to throw different names out there, Thurman.. Porter.. 

But from what I hear, it's Berto. As I always say, I could definitely be wrong but I trust my sources. The Mayweather camp is playing it pretty close to the vest so nobody has really 100% confirmed Berto as the next opponent but all signs are pointing in that direction. They just haven't made it official yet because they know the backlash that's gonna follow that announcement so they're gonna hold it of til the very last minute. 

Mayweather was in talks with CBS to extend his contract/renegotiate a new deal which would have been a 3 fight deal. From what I hear, Floyd wanted a lot more then CBS was willing to give so the two sides were unable to reach an agreement. So unless CBS ups their current offer, Floyd will stick with his original plan of letting the networks get into a bidding war for his services for the rights to broadcast his 50th fight.

Strong possibility we see Floyd back in the ring Cinco de Mayo 2016. Opponent TBA. Now what I do wonder is if he will try to get the winner of that Khan-Manny fight. Maybe Porter. Maybe Thurman. Maybe even GGG. But we'll see. One thing I know with 99% certainty, Arum won't toss Crawford out there because it's too risky. The reward would be amazing but I don't know if Arum feels the reward outweighs the risk. But I would love to see that fight.

Stay tuned....

Edited by Rexx1240

Lol...Pacquiao fed to Crawford? But seriously, Crawford might beat Pac at this stage. We'll see how Pacquiao looks against Khan. I believe there's still a good chance we get Pac/May II if Pacquiao beats khan.

But thanks for the updates.

Lol...Pacquiao fed to Crawford? But seriously, Crawford might beat Pac at this stage. We'll see how Pacquiao looks against Khan. I believe there's still a good chance we get Pac/May II if Pacquiao beats khan.

But thanks for the updates.

Lol I had you in mind when I typed that lol nah kidding but no problem sir my pleasure.

And so it begins...

ESPN is reporting that Ruslan Provodnikov, after working mainly with HBO, is now negotiating a 3 fight deal with ShowTime. The first fight of the deal will more than likely be Adrien Broner later this year.

So AB is essentially becoming the Gabe Rosado of the 140/47 division. Look for an announcement of Ruslan eventually signing with Uncle Al.

i don't think so, but the criteria seems to be dropping.

A few more years maybe he can get in with his strength on the microphone calling fights.

Is it possible he eventually becomes a HoF announcer but doesn't make it as a fighter? If so, wouldn't people get confused? There would be backlash if people feel he's undeserving but makes it any way; despite the fact he's in as an announcer.

If you let Paula in, you have to open the door to a few others.

33-7 with only 7 KO's and no defining victories? No way he gets in.

who is Gatti's defining victory? it would be simple if the criteria were more uniform. politics gets some people in, politics keeps others out. Again, I wouldn't put him in as a boxer, but its not completely out the question.

I don't like Paulie, but dude had balls.

Edited by StillUnknown

Gatti at least fought wars in the ring. He did have legendary fights with Ward that has gone down as one of the greatest rivalries in boxing history. Pretty much a real life Rocky Balboa. Not the greatest, but very entertaining.