Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Dan Rafael        ✔ @danrafaelespn

Follow

According to Schaefer, @AdrienBroner has picked up his right to a rematch with @ChinoMaidana. He said rematch likely in April on @SHOsports

Dan Rafael        ✔ @danrafaelespn

Follow

Schaefer said Maidana-Broner II could be 4/19 or 4/26 at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., or again at Alamodome in San Antonio. #boxing

Broner deserves some measure of credit for going right back at Maidana. A lot of fighters would have taken a "get right" fight before doing a rematch. Better fix that defense though, its extra leaky.

Delayed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/7182/april-too-early-for-maidana-broner-ii

Not sure if this is good or bad for Chino because:

1) Broner will be a man-on-a-mission in the rematch

2) Sounds like Chino will be kind of "distracted"

3) An immediate rematch is advantage Chino for obvious reasons but too long of a postponement will give Broner more time to train, review film with his team, and correct mistakes

I don't see why that's doubtful. No one wants to see Mayweather/Khan. They would lose money on that PPV. Maidana, right now, is hot.

Yep. makes a **** load of sense which is why i said it's a possibility. I said doubtful because sure Maidana is hot but Khan is still the much bigger draw. Also, Maidana is contractually obligated to Broner (at Broner's discretion) because of the rematch clause placed in their fight contract.

But Broner could go head and give Floyd the 'OK' since there are technically no new contracts signed yet to make the fight official. But I can somehow see Shaefer finding a way to squeeze this on the May undercard.

Edited by T-REX1240

Pac-Bradley II is done:

"I finished the deal with Pacquiao last week and [Top Rank president] Todd [duBoef] finished with Bradley [saturday]," Arum said.

As part of the deal, Bradley, due to become a promotional free agent at the end of the year, extended his contract with Top Rank, duBoef told ESPN.com. 

First time seeing one of the Charlo twins in action and I was very impressed. Jermell picked a part a always game Rosado, these guys are taking on very good competition so earily in there careers. Jermall (other twin) fights Molina for his first championship fight at only 23 years old.

Peterson represented DC well whooped that Canadian's ass. Peterson looked very strong, fast and quick on his feet the best I have seen him look in a lonnnnng time.

Adrien Broner: Since I Lost, Everybody Feels Like Floyd Mayweather Lost.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/1/26/5346780/adrien-broner-since-i-lost-everybody-feels-like-floyd-mayweather-lost

How can anyone still back this guy? I've been very critical of Mayweather, but he needs to stop mentioning himself and Floyd in the same breath. He is no Floyd Mayweather. In all honesty, I'm willing to bet that Floyd probably isn't all that down with Broner. This Floyd/Broner relationship is most likely a figment of Broner's imagination.

Lamont had a decent performance against a guy he should have done more against.

That first fight with one of the Charlo twins was good. That guy is going somewhere.

That heavyweight fight was the most entertaining HW fight Ive seen televised in years between Jennings and the Polish guy. Both looked in shape too, which is rare for heavyweights and there was some good action which is also rare.

Mikey Garcia vs. Burgos was a boring fight.

Adrien Broner: Since I Lost, Everybody Feels Like Floyd Mayweather Lost.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/1/26/5346780/adrien-broner-since-i-lost-everybody-feels-like-floyd-mayweather-lost

How can anyone still back this guy? I've been very critical of Mayweather, but he needs to stop mentioning himself and Floyd in the same breath. He is no Floyd Mayweather. In all honesty, I'm willing to bet that Floyd probably isn't all that down with Broner. This Floyd/Broner relationship is most likely a figment of Broner's imagination.

he has a point in that people partied hard on Broner because they cant party on Floyd's losing. In saying that, he is full of it to compare himself to Floyd. Edited by JoeWolf990

To be fair, there was a lot of people who partied(Lol...mainly Mayweather fans)when Manny got KO'd by JMM. People love upsets.

The difference is that people have no respect for Broner. Like Hopkins said, "when people litter you with garbage when you exit the ring, you've lost all respect."

Edited by DM72

I had just received a text that he got KO'd in the 2nd.

LOL...And he had the nerve to call-out Mayweather? But I guess we shouldn't be that surprised. When you go from headlining a PPV to fighting on Thursday, you're pretty much done.

I had just received a text that he got KO'd in the 2nd.

LOL...And he had the nerve to call-out Mayweather? But I guess we shouldn't be that surprised. When you go from headlining a PPV to fighting on Thursday, you're pretty much done.

Looked like to me he wanted out of that ring, he could have beaten the 10 count if he wanted.

Collazo called out Floyd post fight, can't blame the guy for chasing a paycheck.

Easy answer. He didn't need to. As the "A" side to his fights, he decides who he's going to fight. He's trying to get the fans involved, but it doesn't really matter who he fights, it should be at least a challenge. Bottom line:  There are no tough challengers out there that Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions will do business with at this time.

Khan, although not my first choice, has a decent following, hand speed and is a very good boxer (glass chin and all). He's been calling out Floyd for a while. If Floyd fights him, he'll make Floyd work for a bit as Floyd adjusts to his speed, then he'll either get KO'ed or outboxed for 12 rounds.

Maidana just beat down (Broner) the guy who tries to mimic Floyd so much. He took his WBA belt at 147 lbs.  He will bring in viewers for the Hispanic demographic. Unless, he hits Floyd with a one-hitter quitter, Maidana will get his ears boxed off. Floyd will do what Broner should have been able to do and that's box (hit and not be hit).

Everyone knows the fight between Floyd and Manny ain't happening. Excuses on both sides. Even if they do fight, it ain't relevant anymore. Should have happened 5 years ago, but too many excuses and neither side could agree on ALL of the issues.

Cold War between Golden Boy and Top Rank is holding back many potential great boxing matches.

Bradley just re-signed to Top Rank so that fight ain't happening. No other 147 or 154 lbs fights at TR for Floyd.  With GB, he could fight plenty of young guys, but WHY when then don't have a big enough following (meaning NO $$$$). Thurman is good, but can't draw yet. Danny Garcia is good, but he doesn't want the fight yet and he's still at 140 lbs. Lara is at 154 and nobody knows him. He can't draw. Trout at 154 lbs, just loss two in a row. He's not a draw either. Angulo about to get served up to Canelo on his 1st PPV headliner. Alexander just lost his title to Porter. Neither of those names can make any money. Malignaggi ain't fighting Floyd. Collazo called out Floyd after KO'ing Victor Ortiz. That doesn't really count, cause Ortiz quit AGAIN.

In truth, there really isn't anyone out there on Floyd's level who will give him a challenge AND bring big $$$ to the table. Nobody wants to pay $70 for the PPV, if they ain't getting their money's worth.  You know folks want to see Floyd lose, just ain't happening yet. I don't think Golden Boy will serve up anymore of their undefeated youngsters to Floyd just yet. They really thought Canelo was the answer and that was a 12 round boxing lesson for Canelo.

*** SORRY for the long post ***

Edited by ksun247
  • Like 1

You know damn well he didn't do it for the simple fact that 90% of the fans that responded would have said Pacquiao and he would have had one hell of a time explaining why he didn't fight Pacquiao when he gave the fans the choice of choosing his next opponent. You know it and I know it.

And people always use the "cold war" copout. I thought Mayweather was his own boss and he and he alone decides who he fights.

Edited by DM72

If Floyd truly wanted the fight, he could make it happen. Remember, he's his own boss.

So fans are supposed to get excited about two fighters Floyd clearly doesn't see as threats? If he did, do you really think he would be giving the fans this option? I just wonder, where's the "other" option. If not Pacquiao, why not Lara?

Edited by DM72

Who is Lara? I know him, but a lot of casual fans don't. Sorry, but there is no money in a Lara vs Mayweather fight. Where's Lara's signature win to even put him in contention for the Floyd Sweepstakes? The fight against Angulo was good, but Angulo quit due to his eye injury. Angulo came to fight against Lara and it was a decent fight until the injury. Not too many folks would have continued fighting with that injury.

Even though Floyd is the champ at 154 lbs, he only has 3 fights at 154 lbs (De La Hoya, Cotto and Canelo). Only the Oscar fight was close and that was many years ago.

Pacquiao is a HBO and Top Rank fighter. You know the drama with that fight not happening.  So who else is there that makes sense?

Why is it always about money with Mayweather and his fans? Honestly, I don't think any of these fights are sure-fire money makers because he wouldn't be asking his fans to make the choice if they were.

And you say Lara doesn't have any signature wins? Despite what the judges said, he whooped Paul Williams' ass, he beat a very tough Angulo and he TOTALLY outclassed Trout.

Heck, at this time I'd rather see him fight Thurman than Khan. Khan is 2-2 in his last 4 fights. And even though Maidana is riding a high since he beat Broner, he's the kind of fighter that Mayweather will pick apart. A lot of people will just be sitting there waiting for Maidana to land a big punch that will never come. 

This is prizefighting. Always about the money. The boxers are in the ring putting their health at risk, so they should get paid (even after all the payouts due to promoters, managers, cut men, etc).

I agree on Lara beating Williams. I forgot about the win against Trout. Trout was outclassed, then he lost all his confidence. He's gonna need a soft touch to rebound from 2 straight losses.

Thuman is decent, but he's not ready yet to truly compete with Floyd. It doesn't make financial sense for all parties involved. I don't think GB will put him in their yet. They are letting him build his resume for a possible 2015 showdown. Same with Danny Garcia. Those are the future stars for GB.

Floyd is too small to go to 160 lbs. He doesn't even make 154 lbs. Real Competition is scarce.