Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

boxing after dark on HBO tonight:

Lucian Bute vs. Librado Andrade @ 168lbs

Joan Guzman vs. Ali Funeka @ 135lbs

Bute/Andrade is a rematch after their first fight ended in some controversy. Bute was on the verge of winning a comfortable decision, but was dead tired in the 12th round. Andrade rocked him and knocked him down in the 12th, but the ref implemented the slowest 10 count i have ever seen, enabling Bute to get off the canvas and retain his title on with a decision victory

Edited by StillUnknown

boxing after dark on HBO tonight:

Lucian Bute vs. Librado Andrade @ 168lbs

Joan Guzman vs. Ali Funeka @ 135lbs

Bute/Andrade is a rematch after their first fight ended in some controversy. Bute was on the verge of winning a comfortable decision, but was dead tired in the 12th round. Andrade rocked him and knocked him down in the 12th, but the ref implemented the slowest 10 count i have ever seen, enabling Bute to get off the canvas and retain his title on with a decision victory

No controversy last night. Bute caught him with a shot to the chest that ended it in the 4th round. Rarely seen anything like that.

No controversy last night. Bute caught him with a shot to the chest that ended it in the 4th round. Rarely seen anything like that.

looked to me like it was more on the body. that area has a kill switch, you touch the right spot, your opponent is not getting up (i.e. B-Hop/De La Hoya)

Bute looked fantastic last night, he deserves first crack at the winner of the Super Six Tournament

on another note Ali Funeka was robbed something awful last night. how two of those judges scored it a draw is beyond me. Funeka beat the hell outta Guzman from the 3rd round until the 12th. stevie wonder would've scored that fight better than those judges

Edited by StillUnknown

looked to me like it was more on the body. that area has a kill switch, you touch the right spot, your opponent is not getting up (i.e. B-Hop/De La Hoya)

So it was. Thanks for the clip. I thought it landed higher and never bothered to catch the replay. I just changed channels, disappointed that it wasn't more of a fight. Bute owned him in the first fight but gassed. This time he just owned him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AvhZdYAv8qeX9Q.OkEBjFqWUxLYF?slug=ki-floydpac120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The much-anticipated bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao is all but set for March 13, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

Mayweather has agreed to terms and promoter Bob Arum is making a trip to Manila, Philippines, to finalize a deal with Pacquiao, the source said.

More From Kevin Iole

Las Vegas, Dallas and New Orleans are the front-runners to host the bout, which is expected to become the highest-grossing boxing match in the sport’s history.

Pacquiao is the top pound-for-pound fighter in nearly every major ranking, including Yahoo! Sports. Mayweather is No. 2 in most rankings and was No. 1 in nearly all of the polls before he briefly retired in June 2008.

Pacquiao is coming off a 12th-round stoppage of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, a bout in which he won the World Boxing Organization welterweight championship and erased fears that he is not a legitimate welterweight.

Cotto was a legitimate welterweight in his prime and Pacquiao dominated, knocking him down twice and cruising to the one-sided victory.

Mayweather routed Juan Manuel Marquez, who had previously been ranked No. 2 in the Yahoo! Sports poll, in a Sept. 19 fight at the MGM Grand.

The public demand for the fight has been enormous, putting pressure on Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, to get a deal done.

Promoters had targeted May 1 for the fight almost from the moment that Pacquiao stopped Cotto. But Pacquiao filed Tuesday to run for Congress in the Philippines and the election will be held on May 10.

Given that, the bout with Mayweather had to be moved up to March 13 or pushed back until September.

Though there were reports that Arum was considering matching Pacquiao with new WBO super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman on March 13 in Dallas, that was a diversionary move and was never serious, the source said.

A survey team from Top Rank will inspect Dallas Cowboys Stadium as a possible venue. The MGM Grand Garden Arena and the New Orleans Superdome are also in the running to host the mega-fight, the source said.

good news for the sport

Edited by StillUnknown

disagree...this will be a lousy fight. Mayweather is going to win a boring unanimous decision.

The real fight that needed to be made was Shane Mosley vs. Floyd Mayweather

Pacquiao should have fought Marquez again

when the general public wants a fight as bad as they want Mayweather/Pacquiao, you have to make the fight

mayweather/Pac is much more of a spectacle that boxing needs right now. mayweather/mosley would be huge, but mayweather/pac is going to break records

when the general public wants a fight as bad as they want Mayweather/Pacquiao, you have to make the fight

mayweather/Pac is much more of a spectacle that boxing needs right now. mayweather/mosley would be huge, but mayweather/pac is going to break records

from a money standpoint and a "general public" standpoint, you are definitely right, and I wouldn't try to argue that.

But I think Mayweather vs. Mosley (two of the best welterweights in this generation) who would both be fighting at their natural weight makes too much sense.

Both are probably also in their primes right now. Boxers seem to hit their prime in early to mid 30s....Shane was always a good boxer, but I think he is better now than he has ever been.

I consider myself a "real" boxing fan. I watch just about all the cards on TV...Friday night fights, shobox, boxing after dark, showtime championship, hbo championship, pay-per-view, etc....

Myself, along with all the other true boxing fans I know (which isn't many) want to see the Mosley-Mayweather fight.

Mayweather has a 5" reach advantage on Pacquiao, he is quicker, he is a great counter puncher, he is the bigger man, better hand speed.

Pacquiao is no doubt a great fighter...he is proven. I just don't think he has the pure boxing skills, reach, hand speed, and size that Mosley has (and is needed to beat Mayweather)

Mosley vs Mayweather would be a great fight.

but I do love Pacquiao right now. I think only ways Pacquiao can beat Mayweather is if Pacquiao somehow gets the fight be a very active one. That would be a very fun match to watch.

what I want to see if Pacquio win because I want to see a good fight. then it would be interesting to see if Pacquiao tries to keep pushing his limits and try to schedule Mosley?

Mosley vs Mayweather would be a great fight.

but I do love Pacquiao right now. I think only ways Pacquiao can beat Mayweather is if Pacquiao somehow gets the fight be a very active one. That would be a very fun match to watch.

what I want to see if Pacquio win because I want to see a good fight. then it would be interesting to see if Pacquiao tries to keep pushing his limits and try to schedule Mosley?

I can't remember any fighter really taking the fight to Mayweather and knocking him down.

If Pacquiao can accomplish this (and Mayweather reacts to a knockdown like Cotto) I could see him winning....I doubt it will happen though.

I can't remember any fighter really taking the fight to Mayweather and knocking him down.

If Pacquiao can accomplish this (and Mayweather reacts to a knockdown like Cotto) I could see him winning....I doubt it will happen though.

Mayweather has fought the same defensive fight everytime. I know he's not stupid enough to stand there and slug with Pac because he would get dropped like the rest of them. He'll keep the same game plan that got him to the top and thats he's defensive, counter punching, back pedaling style.

But unlike any fighter floyd has faced, none of them were as fast as Pacman. Pacman might stalk him most of the fight, but I think he has the quickness to sneak in those unpredicatble blows and catch floyd when he's counter punching.

This will be the biggest fight of the millenium, the only thing I'm not looking forward too is floyd running his mouth reckless and being disrespectful to Pac and the [*>-]

Pac carries himself with class and is pretty much the people's champ, so floyd will play the villan role to a T and talk more :pooh: than ever!!!!

SPOILER!!!!

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=31247#more-31247

IBO cruiserweight champion Danny Green (28-3, 25 KOs) scored a major upset when he stopped boxing legend Roy Jones Jr (54-6, 40 KOs) in round one moments ago at the Acer Arena, Homebush, Sydney, NSW, Australia. Green was the aggressor from the opening bell and connected with two solid left hands and a right cross to the temple that dropped Jones. The referee Howard Foster crowned Green at 2:02 to save Jones from further punishment when he was in no condition to defend himself. Green thanked his boxing team for helping him to achieve his greatest ring victory. Jones congratulated Green on his victory. Green’s devastating win likely torpedoed Jones’ planned rematch with Bernard Hopkins, who fights Enrique Ornelas tonight in Philadelphia. Maybe the door is now open for Green to face Hopkins.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-green-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns

SYDNEY (AP)—Australian Danny Green stopped Roy Jones Jr. in the first round of their IBO world cruiserweight title fight Wednesday, preventing the 40-year-old American from claiming his ninth title across five weight classes from middleweight to heavyweight.

The 36-year-old Green retained his title and improved to 28-3 with his technical knockout over Jones at the Acer Arena, in the American’s first professional fight on foreign soil in his 20-year career.

It was only Jones’ sixth loss since 1989, along with 54 wins, 40 by knockout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Green floored Jones with a right hand to the head after one minute. Green moved in to apply more pressure, and following a series of blows, English referee Howard Foster stopped the bout after just 122 seconds.

Jones offered no excuses for a defeat which could signal the end of his career.

“We don’t make excuses, it was a great performance by Danny,” Jones said.

Green was almost apologetic for handing such a defeat to one of his boxing role models.

“He’s one of the greatest fighters of all time and the opportunity to fight him in Australia, thanks, Roy Jones Jr.,” Green told the crowd.

“I almost feel bad doing that, that almost hurt me to do that to someone whom I aspire to look up to as a professional fighter inside and outside the ring. He’s a bloody legend.”

After nearly a one-hour delay following an undercard bout, Jones entered the arena to mild applause. But Green, with the Australian band Men at Work’s song “Down Under” playing, entered the ring to an ovation moments later.

“I didn’t surprise myself,” said Green.

Green won the IBO cruiserweight title in Biloxi, Miss., in August with a victory over Argentina’s Julio Cesar Dominguez on the undercard to Jones’ NABO light heavyweight championship win over Jeff Lacy.

Jones had been stopped just twice in his career, by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson, but Green warned ahead of the fight that he could end the Sydney fight early.

“I won’t name which punch, but there’s one punch, if I hit him clean with it, he is going to be knocked out for a week,” Green said. “His speed can baffle me, but my power—it can hospitalize someone. My fists are like bricks.”

Green has never been stopped, although he was knocked down but not out by Argentina’s Omar Gonzalez in 2004.

The Australian twice lost bids for the WBC super middleweight title to Markus Beyer—one by disqualification and the other in a split decision. He retired temporarily in March 2008 before making a comeback in April this year.

Jones, who has eight belts across four divisions from middleweight to heavyweight, was a strong betting favorite.

Green weighed in at nearly 179 pounds while Jones was at just over 179.

HIS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER!!!! Thanks Roy for all you brought to BOXING. :)

Mayweather has fought the same defensive fight everytime. I know he's not stupid enough to stand there and slug with Pac because he would get dropped like the rest of them. He'll keep the same game plan that got him to the top and thats he's defensive, counter punching, back pedaling style.

But unlike any fighter floyd has faced, none of them were as fast as Pacman. Pacman might stalk him most of the fight, but I think he has the quickness to sneak in those unpredicatble blows and catch floyd when he's counter punching.

This will be the biggest fight of the millenium, the only thing I'm not looking forward too is floyd running his mouth reckless and being disrespectful to Pac and the [*>-]

Pac carries himself with class and is pretty much the people's champ, so floyd will play the villan role to a T and talk more :pooh: than ever!!!!

Zab Judah is as fast as pacquiao, just not smart or disciplined enough to use it over 12 rounds. remember, zab probably won the first four rounds against Mayweather. mayweather adjusted to his speed and shut him out the rest of the fight.

it will be interesting to see if Pacquiao gets frustrated and deviates from his gameplan if floyd's defense gives him trouble

you are probably right. If Mayweather sticks to his guns and sticks with his defensive approach then the fight will be really hard for pacquiao.

This fight we will really find out how big Mayweather's ego is.

1) Mayweather's ego can't stand having Pacquiao even be considered to be within his class so he goes into the ring looking to just dominate Pacquio by taking charge of the ring and knock out Pacquio ASAP. In this case Pacquiao has a good chance I think.

2) Mayweather'e ego is even bigger than anyone has ever imagined. So Mayweather don't care what anyone says about his fighting style or the hype that pacquiao. He just hits and run Pacquiao despite hearing boos the entire night. Mayweather is #1 in his mind and thats all that matters to him. In this case Pacquiao might be in for a long and frustrating night.

Zab Judah is as fast as pacquiao, just not smart or disciplined enough to use it over 12 rounds. remember, zab probably won the first four rounds against Mayweather. mayweather adjusted to his speed and shut him out the rest of the fight.

it will be interesting to see if Pacquiao gets frustrated and deviates from his gameplan if floyd's defense gives him trouble

Zab actually should have a scored a knock down point, because Mayweather's glove touched the canvas when Zab caught him in 2nd.

The Zab and Floyd fight was actually pretty entertaining, especially when Zab hit him with a low blow, then hit him in the back of the head when he bent over. Everyone and their mommas jumped in the ring. I'm surprised they let the fight continue. I think Zab actually played the villan in this one.

You're right about Pac being a little more discipline with a game plan, although I did see him getting sloppy in the latter rounds vs Cotto but he already pretty much won the fight by then. I know sooner or later Pac will get ansy, and try and throw that typhoon assualt on him.

As for Maquez/Pacquiao, it will make money (NOT as much as Manny/Floyd). A while back, Manny was called the Mexican killer or something like that because he beat Marquez, Barrera, Morales and Diaz. Marquez gave Manny all he could handle and then some. Not saying Manny is scared (doubt it), but somebody in his camp doesn't want Marquez anymore (Maybe his promoter Bob Arum). If they fight a 3rd time, I think Marquez will get his long awaited victory.

You forgot De La Hoya on that list. I think his street name was the "Mexacutioner"

But since then, he's inducted British and Puerto Ricans into his hit list as well :D

i thought Mayweather took the claim of that throne with this stunt

Mayweather has only fought a couple of Mexican fighters. Before he fought Marquez and DLH, Castillo whooped up on PBF.

Pacmans went through wars with JMM, Barrera, the trilogy with Morales, put Solis and Diaz to sleep, and made DLH quit.