Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

Only TRexx thinks an 8 division champion and a 7 time trainer of the year is overrated. Wow.

And you Mayweather fans calls anyone who doesn't like Mayweather a hater? Who's hating now?

Edited by DM72

I now would classify myself as a casual boxing fan. Not by choice, just by way of life/work/children.  I watched every fight I could growing up with my dad starting in 1980, carried on through college and stopped/halted around 2005.  Then I caught fights when I could, kept up with results, etc.  

I would watch the replay fights on HBO and Showtime and catch the live events when I could, so I've seen a ton of fights involving both Mayweather and Pac.  

As a casual fan, who knows boxing (not expert by any means), I knew Floyd would beat Pac.  Six years ago and last night.  But, I also knew there was a spark of hope, that Pac could win.  Though, it didn't play out that way.  

It was a very disappointing fight.  But make no mistakes, I have zero regrets of paying to watch it.  Anyone that watches or has watched boxing, knew going in that this fight would most likely not result in any KO and would go the distance.  

The main reason I have avoided this thread in the past, since I joined ES, is because of the fact, I didn't want to know any results.  Because I could catch a lot of the main fights after the fact on replay on HBO/Showtime.  I love boxing, it was one of the first sports I was introduced to as a small child.  

I'm doing my best to get back into the mix hardcore again.  

• Like 2

Sorry man. haha. Not at all. I am saying that they are easy to claim as HOF members as opposed to the four fighters he claimed are all future HOF members.

Meaning that Duh of course Brady and James will be in and it is a lot easier to say that about them then some of his picks.

You guys seem to love changing the rules to make your arguments more legit. I don't know how much boxing you know, but those fighters Manny beat are getting in. Hell, if Trexx has Judah going in, I can probably add Tim Bradley to my list.

If you have watched his fights...you knew what to expect from Mayweather.

Again, it's not what I expected from Mayweather, it's what I expected from Pac.  Pac turned in a clown show.  Smiling, giggling, selfies, sushi, mani/pedi's.  Dude came to collect his money and run.  There was no warrior out there, there was a middle aged millionaire on vacation.

If I were Mayweather, I would fight as many more fights as I could milk the public for because boxing is dead and there is nobody that really wants to fight, they just like the quan.

• Like 1

Answer the questions. If u cant then your last post actually proves my point more than your own..

What you're trying to do is move the goalposts and I'm not having it. The facts of the matter is that the man beat a slew of hall of famers in their primes while winning 8 titles in 8 divisions. That's enough to be considered great in any era.

And Rexx answer this. How is Judah a future hall of famer but Pacquiao's career is garbage? And you say I don't like Mayweather?

Edited by DM72

Answer the questions. If u cant then your last post actually proves my point more than your own..

Now that I've trumped you regarding Paq, I'll add in two for Roach as well.

1) How would u respond to the quotes Roach has made about carefully matching his fighters to guys at disadvantages.

2) How many champions has Roach produced who started their careers with him??

So that's two questions for Manny and two for Roach. You'll struggle to answer and my point is proven.

You guys seem to love changing the rules to make your arguments more legit. I don't know how much boxing you know, but those fighters Manny beat are getting in. Hell, if Trexx has Judah going in, I can probably add Tim Bradley to my list.

Come on man, I've been in love with this sport since the 70's. We just disagree on levels of all-time great/hof fighters. I never stated that Manny was a scrub, I do think he is crazy over hyped though.

Again, it's not what I expected from Mayweather, it's what I expected from Pac.  Pac turned in a clown show.  Smiling, giggling, selfies, sushi, mani/pedi's.  Dude came to collect his money and run.  There was no warrior out there, there was a middle aged millionaire on vacation.

If I were Mayweather, I would fight as many more fights as I could milk the public for because boxing is dead and there is nobody that really wants to fight, they just like the quan.

I must ask what you expected from Mayweather, he has been fighting this way for a while. DM72 liked your post I saw, my guess is he was disappointed with Pac's approach to the fight ( hell, I was too) , If you go back and read what I posted about the fight...I thought Pac would win the first 2 maybe even 3 rounds...but May would put on a clinic after that. I stated before that that they would go the distance because neither of them has that power anymore.

Oh, I almost forgot. "Quan" ... I think it is like something that I do to change the pronunciation of some words. It is a great variation and change to the word "coin"...IMO.

I must ask what you expected from Mayweather, he has been fighting this way for a while. DM72 liked your post I saw, my guess is he was disappointed with Pac's approach to the fight ( hell, I was too) , If you go back and read what I posted about the fight...I thought Pac would win the first 2 maybe even 3 rounds...but May would put on a clinic after that. I stated before that that they would go the distance because neither of them has that power anymore.

Oh, I almost forgot. "Quan" ... I think it is like something that I do to change the pronunciation of some words. It is a great variation and change to the word "coin"...IMO.

"Again, it's not what I expected from Mayweather"  That means Again, it's not what I expected from Mayweather, in other words, Mayweather gave me what I expected.

That fight was about the coin, the quan, thank you stupid Tom Cruise movie.  That was an embarrassment to boxing.  That wasn't a fight last night it was an appearance to collect a check.  And Pac was the biggest offender.

If you say so.

As for Roach. He's not even part of the discussion.

Lol. Two very important questions in regards to their respective careers and your inability/refusal to answer makes evry one second guess if YOU even truly believe it or not. Listing their accolades and accomplishments in this instance only proves detrimental to your argument and further strengthens my stance on the subject.

OVERRATED.

"Again, it's not what I expected from Mayweather"  That means Again, it's not what I expected from Mayweather, in other words, Mayweather gave me what I expected.

That fight was about the coin, the quan, thank you stupid Tom Cruise movie.  That was an embarrassment to boxing.  That wasn't a fight last night it was an appearance to collect a check.  And Pac was the biggest offender.

I understand that bolded part as much as I understand Manny connecting having May in trouble then backing off.

Second part...That was a good movie except the romance part. Wait...that's what it basically was. Damn.

I agree I expected Pac to go all out no matter the cost last night. Especially in the "money" rounds where both seemed disinterested.

Seemed like Pac really was oblivious to the fact he was losing, and May acted like he wanted to play it safe just in case.

Manny fought like he always does, the difference was that he wasn't fighting a guy who will walk straight into his punches. He was fighting a boxer.  Time and time again over the past few years I used the JMM fights as a small window into the view of why I felt Mayweather would win pretty dominantly, it was because Manny quite simply doesn't look the same against skilled technicians.

Manny looks the best against big lumbering brawlers who walk straight forward with no angles, no head movement and no ability to avoid getting punched. That is the proto-type fighter that Manny excels against so it is no coincidence that most of Pac's defining career fights have come against that kind of fighter. He's made a nice career out of out-working his opponent by volume. There is no shame in that, it's not a knock on him, it's just that once he went up against a slick boxer that isn't going to serve himself up to Manny on a platter, you are going to end up seeing a different Pac in there.

I have no idea what Freddie Roach was saying to Manny, but by Round 10 he should have been telling Manny that if he wants to win he better start picking up the pace and try and pour it on and go for a KO.  

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

I understand that bolded part as much as I understand Manny connecting having May in trouble then backing off.

Second part...That was a good movie except the romance part. Wait...that's what it basically was. Damn.

I agree I expected Pac to go all out no matter the cost last night. Especially in the "money" rounds where both seemed disinterested.

Seemed like Pac really was oblivious to the fact he was losing, and May acted like he wanted to play it safe just in case.

OK, I admit it, I liked the movie.  :D

• Like 1

Lol. Two very important questions in regards to their respective careers and your inability/refusal to answer makes evry one second guess if YOU even truly believe it or not. Listing their accolades and accomplishments in this instance only proves detrimental to your argument and further strengthens my stance on the subject.

OVERRATED.

Dude. This isn't even worth arguing at this point. You're just coming off as a bitter hater at this point and anyone with half a brain can see it.

All you do is come up with ways to change the argument to try to justify your stance. No credibility boxing fan or writer would ever call Pacquiao overrated and definitely wouldn't call his career garbage. Face it, you are alone on this one so stop trying to get people to agree with this ridiculous argument. You seem like you're so obsessed with winning an argument you always move the goalposts to assure you win. I guess Frazier and Hearns were overrated too according to you.

Just remember you said Zab Judah is a hall of famer but Pacquiao was garbage. That pretty much ends this conversation as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I saw this coming from a mile away. It was a money grab. Which is why I refused to watch/pay for it.

Listening to the media blitz leading up to it, I can't believe more people didn't figure this out and still got suckered into spending $100.

• Like 1

Dude. This isn't even worth arguing at this point. You're just coming off as a bitter hater at this point and anyone with half a brain can see it.

All you do is come up with ways to change the argument to try to justify your stance. No credibility boxing fan or writer would ever call Pacquiao overrated and definitely wouldn't call his career garbage. Face it, you are alone on this one so stop trying to get people to agree with this ridiculous argument. You seem like you're so obsessed with winning an argument you always move the goalposts to assure you win. I guess Frazier and Hearns were overrated too according to you.

Just remember you said Zab Judah is a hall of famer but Pacquiao was garbage. That pretty much ends this conversation as far as I'm concerned.

Zab as a HoF was a reach and is debatable. Also I don't literally think his career is garbage but in comparison to Floyd's yes, yes it is. That's all I was trying to get you to see. This two were never on the same level but casuals like you allowed the media and Arum to trick you into thinking Pacquiao is something that he is not. If u break down Manny's resume' as I did above then u see his career isn't as impressive as most people think. You're fooling yourself if u think no credible analyst has made these claims and it's just me. U are once again either very uninformed or u choose to turn a blind eye like u did the article about Roach u quoted above.

Also yet and still, you can't even answer the damn questions.

I saw this coming from a mile away. It was a money grab. Which is why I refused to watch/pay for it.

Listening to the media blitz leading up to it, I can't believe more people didn't figure this out and still got suckered into spending $100.

My dad was a boxing fan. I have given boxing a chance previously, but personally, I find it extremely boring and also, IMO, it seemed as if all the hype was generated artificially.  It seemed to me that ESPN was paid to talk about it, promote it etc... I also feel that people were suckered into buying it.

I wouldn't watch boxing for free, let alone pay for it, UNLESS they put Mayweather up against 1000 battered women with baseball bats.  I'd watch that.

• Like 1

Teddy Atlas is telling it like it is. "Taking selfies walking to the ring?" He lost, but Pacquiao was not focused. Pacquiao, at this point, is too civilized.

Edited by DM72

Pac imo is not garbage but hes definally overrated, as Rex said most of his big wins at 147 was at catch weights or fighting guys coming off a lost. Even then theres no doubt in my mind that he was not a clean fighter. At 130 fights with Morales, Berrera, and the Marquez fights he is a sure fire HOF and one of the best P4P.

Dela Hoya- win was garbage the man was a deadman walking in the ring, rumored getting IVs and haven't fought at that weight 10 years.

Cotto- made him drop 2 pounds for some reason. And Cotto was a year out from getting hit with bricks.

Hatton- was just destroyed by Mayweather a year earilier.

Marquez- some good fights 1 draw, 1 legitimate win, 1 robbery one one fight getting ktfo cold.

Margarito- a cheating chump just got handled by Shane Mosley.

Shane Mosley- 2 years after Mayweather put a beating on him and he was starting to show age then.

Clottey- showed up for the check, never came to fight horrible horrible fight.

Algeri and Rios both C level fighters.

Bradley fights- SOLID WINS.

Even then still a great fighter just isn't in Mayweathers class as far as skill. Five years ago Mayweather dominates and beats him badly fight may even get stopped, we wouldn't know because he refused to take the test.

• Like 1

Teddy Atlas is telling it like it is. "Taking selfies walking to the ring?" He lost, but Pacquiao was not focused. Pacquiao, at this point, is too civilized.

DM let me ask you something.. 

Leading up to this fight you made a claim Pacquiao wins by KO and you stood by it. Not saying that you were supposed to back track on your prediction but you NEVER even made  so much as a slight mention of Pacquiao being "unfocused" until AFTER he loss the fight. That seems a lil suspect bc you claim to have noticed it well before, yet you never said anything. I would respect the stance a bit more if you would have even made a hint to it pre-fight. But doing it post fight just isn't credible at all. I put it on the same bologna meter as Manny's injury announcement AFTER the fight without even a slight mention of it BEFORE the fight.

You have to stand by your prediction. But "secretly" I started getting concerned when at the last press conference Pacquiao started talking he and Mayweather go to bible studies together and all this smiling and saying "thank you" to Floyd. If I was Roach, I would have definitely tried to light a fire under his ass.

Edited by DM72