Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Seattle Take Away Our Edge?

Oldfan

I try to explain Redskin happenings based on what I can see, the performance on the field, not on factors that can't be seen. I turn a deaf ear to theories about motivation, chemistry, leadership...intangibles.

In my opinion, there are two main reasons for the Skins 4-0 streak to close out the regular season. The primary cause is that we had an upgrade at the most-important QB position which has improved our passing game. The secondary cause is that Gregg Williams has now learned how to use his faster, more versatile defensive unit more aggressively.

The questions now are: How long will it take for our opponents to adjust? How effective can they be in taking away our gains?

Taking away our passing game won't be as easy as it was in the first half of 2005 when a healthy, single-covered Santana Moss was running wild. The Skins' passing game stats were cut in half when teams began double covering Santana. Our passing game now can't be stopped by double-covering one man, but we can expect teams to try to disrupt the timing, perhaps by having their corners be more physical with our WRs at the LOS.

Our future opponents will be better prepared when putting together their offensive gameplan than those we beat in the 4-0 run, but they can't entirely cancel out our team's improvement on defense. We have more versatility now than we did earlier in the year, consequently we're a better team on defense.

Bottom line: We can't expect the team to look as good as it has in the 4-0 run because our opponents will adjust. But, the Skins are a better team right now than at any time in Gibbs Two and we're not likely to backslide against Seattle. We aren't an elite NFL team, but there are no elite teams in the NFC.

We're good enough to beat Seattle though. They have no running game and our Pass D have been great lately.

Portis is playing well on O, and Todd is hitting Moss like it's nothing. If the o-line can block, and block well, we should win with ease.

I agree. I think we can beat them... however its going to be a hard fought game no matter what. We have to go out with everything that we have. Qwest is a hard place to play with the most false starts in the NFL -- Collins has not had pressure like that so far so the offense really has to be prepared. The media hype is starting to make me REALLY nervous... you cannot turn on any sports programming without hearing about the Redskins. I like when we are flying under the radar.

I am getting a little nervous myself, but I always do before a game so that's no biggie! I have to agree with taking the crowd out of it early! That seems to me to be the biggest factor for a 'Skins victory. On the "adjustments" topic, I think that it's not going to be as important what adjustments the other teams make as it is what adjustments we make to their adjustments. :2cents:

If that makes any sense outside of my head!!

Good assessment OldFan. There are no elite teams in the NFC and right now I think we are the hottest team in this conference. It's going to be hard for teams to figure TC out as there is only so much (or so little) film of him in games. Our defense has improved at all levels. Our run defense is phenomenal. Our Lb's are covering the TE's and RB's out of the back field and also filling in the gaps on stopping the run. Our Corners are playing hands down football. A lot of single coverage and they are holding their own. You couldn't ask for much more from them. Greg Williams Putting Landry in Taylor's place and setting Doughty up for the run is pure genius. Those two are turning out to be quite a pair in the backfield.

This team is just starting to hit it's peak and you can see that they just keep getting better each week. With a QB that knows this system and makes minimal mistakes, the O-line finally coming together and a healthy receiving corps, I can see this team going all the way but! I'll take it one game at a time as I tend to get carried away sometimes, lol.

I don't think they can. Our team is battle tested. We've went through the highest highs and the lowest lows. Any situation you can possibly encounter we've gone through it. This team is together and this team believes in its chance.

I don't think an early setback will rattle the team and if our offense struggles early our defense will keep us in the game.

The Seahawks will have to earn this one because Washington isn't going to lay down for them.

On the "adjustments" topic, I think that it's not going to be as important what adjustments the other teams make as it is what adjustments we make to their adjustments. :2cents:

If that makes any sense outside of my head!!

Sure it makes sense. Example: If they play bump and run on our WRs, can we burn them deep or not?

coasting through the rest of the game has handed us many losses this season... I absolutely disagree with this statement

:doh: Sorry.

I didn't mean sit on the lead by any means.

We definately haven't been doing that the past few weeks so I thought doing that was behind us.

I'm saying if we take out the crowd early, we should be able to have the game in hand, and do whatever we want offensively, just like in Minny.

Sorry. Hope I cleared that up.

Oldfan, I think another factor is health. Moss and Portis are both hitting their stride at the same time, and I don't think it's all Collins. Over the past few games Portis' extra gear has returned, and he is once again able to bounce outside and make cuts much faster than he did earlier in the season. Moss appears to be moving at full speed again, and he's holding onto the ball.

Some of Moss' resurgence may be that he's more in-synch with Collins than he was with Campbell. But whatever the reason I think if our playmakers on offense (Moss, Portis and Cooley) are all playing their best football at the same time, there's not a lot opposing defenses will be able to do that they're not already doing.

I think one of the reasons we are winning now is that we keep attacking and don't sit on leads with a shell cover 2 defense.

I think you are putting too much emphasis here because the defensive improvement hasn't been just in the second halves.

Oldfan, I think another factor is health. Moss and Portis are both hitting their stride at the same time, and I don't think it's all Collins. Over the past few games Portis' extra gear has returned, and he is once again able to bounce outside and make cuts much faster than he did earlier in the season. Moss appears to be moving at full speed again, and he's holding onto the ball.

Some of Moss' resurgence may be that he's more in-synch with Collins than he was with Campbell. But whatever the reason I think if our playmakers on offense (Moss, Portis and Cooley) are all playing their best football at the same time, there's not a lot opposing defenses will be able to do that they're not already doing.

Santana didn't suddenly get healthy with 1:40 remaining in the second period of the Bears game. Our offense has scored 105 points since then in 14 quarters. My OP, which offered primary and secondary causes, doesn't rule out lesser factors.

I try to explain Redskin happenings based on what I can see, the performance on the field, not on factors that can't be seen. I turn a deaf ear to theories about motivation, chemistry, leadership...intangibles.

In my opinion, there are two main reasons for the Skins 4-0 streak to close out the regular season. The primary cause is that we had an upgrade at the most-important QB position which has improved our passing game. The secondary cause is that Gregg Williams has now learned how to use his faster, more versatile defensive unit more aggressively.

I pretty much agree.

The questions now are: How long will it take for our opponents to adjust? How effective can they be in taking away our gains?

This is sort of the same question that I've had over the past few weeks, but I would have phrased it a little differently.

I remember a quote from Gibbs I that re-surfaced again in his first year back, but we haven't heard anything about it this season (which I find odd)

The quote was to the effect that Joe Gibbs' style of coaching over the years has been to throw out his playbook and start over every 4 weeks.

(a) Is he still doing this every 4 weeks? Or has the timeframe changed? Or is he still doing it at all?

(B) If he IS still doing it, could this explain our run in 2005 where the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys looked utterly confused against us... as well as our run this year, where we've enjoyed similar results against division and conference opponents?

© Could this explain why GW's defense looks completely different, and why Todd Collins is throwing to Wide Open receivers?

(d) and finally, if he IS still doing this... will we see something else entirely in our first game against the hawks? (it's been 4 weeks)

I don't think there is really an answer to any of the above questions short of Gibbs answering it directly... just general food for thought.

Are you saying that motivation, chemistry, leadership... intangibles can't be reasons for the increased performance on the field? (Notice: No malicious intent in this question)

Also you said that there are no elite teams in the NFC which leads me to believe that when you say elite teams you are referring to Indianapolis and New England. Have either Indianapolis or New England done anything recently to decrease their eliteness? What would it take for a team like the Redskins to be elite? (Again no malcious intent in this question)

Santana didn't suddenly get healthy with 1:40 remaining in the second period of the Bears game. Our offense has scored 105 points since then in 14 quarters. My OP, which offered primary and secondary causes, doesn't rule out lesser factors.

Watch it OF, we'll start to confuse you with someone who thinks QB is the most important factor in putting together a winning team. :D

I agree. From the Detriot game through the second Philly game Moss was hurt and/or terrible or both. His game picked up after that. I think his second-half resurgence coincided with Portis finding his game, Collins coming in, and the team's reaction to Taylor's death (emotional, strategic ... whatever works for you.)

What I'm saying is, and I think you kind of said the same thing, is that opposing defenses can't simply shut down one aspect of our offense and expect to shut us down, because we're hitting on all cylinders right now, for a variety of reasons. I don't know that there is an adjust, other than hoping we stumble and start making mistakes.

I'm not sure our defense is playing all that much better now. The offense is giving it a bigger cushion, so we're not clinging to a three-point lead by our fingernails much these days. Now, when the other team starts closing the gap, we score again (Bears, Vikings.) Apparently, the best way to sit on a lead is to extend it. :)

I'm not sure our defense is playing all that much better now. The offense is giving it a bigger cushion, so we're not clinging to a three-point lead by our fingernails much these days. Now, when the other team starts closing the gap, we score again (Bears, Vikings.) Apparently, the best way to sit on a lead is to extend it. :)

I partially agree with this Henry, especially against the pass. Fact is, we haven't really faced a passing attack over the past 4 weeks, so Saturday is going to be a challenge.

Eli was hampered by hurricane force winds... and don't forget the wide open receivers who couldn't hold onto the ball.

Jackson... well... he couldn't hit a barn from 10 yards.

and Romo sits to pee was without his weapons. And even then the Cowboys receivers dropped some huge passes, at least one of them a TD.

Now that said, I think we're playing the run better than we have all year. But overall, i don't think we're that much better on D. We've been fairly consistent as a middle to upper tier group all season... but the difference now is that our offense is putting teams away, extending drives, and avoiding the 3 and outs.

Are you saying that motivation, chemistry, leadership... intangibles can't be reasons for the increased performance on the field? (Notice: No malicious intent in this question)

:DNo malicious intent taken.

No, I'm not saying that motivation, etc. can't be causes. I'm saying that if there are plausible explanations based on observable evidence, I much prefer them. I'm a rationalist.

Also you said that there are no elite teams in the NFC which leads me to believe that when you say elite teams you are referring to Indianapolis and New England. Have either Indianapolis or New England done anything recently to decrease their eliteness? What would it take for a team like the Redskins to be elite? (Again no malcious intent in this question).

I think the elite teams have at least Grade A talent and Grade B coaching, or the reverse. Luck is a factor. Injuries to key players can swing the talent level (Colts loss of Marvin Harrision).

Our coaching right now is Grade A in my opinion. It took a while, but the Gibbs-Saunders combo now has its act in gear. Gregg Williams is on his game. Overall, our talent level is not good enough to get us to the next level although Collins has moved us up at least temporarily.

I saw an unusual defense that shut down the Vikes in the first half. I've seen more man-to-man, more blitzing. I've seen Landry bouncing in and out pre-snap like Polamalu does in Pittsburgh. I think GW is feeling it.

Also you said that there are no elite teams in the NFC which leads me to believe that when you say elite teams you are referring to Indianapolis and New England. Have either Indianapolis or New England done anything recently to decrease their eliteness? What would it take for a team like the Redskins to be elite? (Again no malcious intent in this question)

Hey MD., he's talking NFC (Redskins, dallASS, seahawks,GB,NY,TB), not the AFC (Indianapolis, New England, etc..), get it?

:dallasuck :seahawksu

I saw an unusual defense that shut down the Vikes in the first half. I've seen more man-to-man, more blitzing. I've seen Landry bouncing in and out pre-snap like Polamalu does in Pittsburgh. I think GW is feeling it.

Oh I do think Williams has changed his scheme in the wake of Taylor's absense. But I also think our offense has been helping the defense out more. Against the Vikings our defense was completely worn down in the second half. The offense was able to drive down the field (thanks in part to Gibbs' hurry-up offense/timely challenge), hang onto the ball for a large chunk of time, and score a TD. On that drive we ran up the gut for a first down on third and five and then Portis ran it into the end-zone from 13 yards out. For all the complaining about our overly conservative offense, such conservatism actually worked for us on that drive.

Anyway, my point is that in addition to schematic changes, key players are peaking at the right time. The opposition may be able to adjust to what our coaches are doing, but it will do them little good if guys like Portis are able to gash the #1 rushing defense in the league like that.

I'm not actually arguing with you. :) I'm just adding my additional observations to yours, which I do think are accurate.

I'm not actually arguing with you. :) I'm just adding my additional observations to yours, which I do think are accurate.

I understand. i realize that you're not being an argumentative jerk (this time).:D

Collins arrival on the scene caused a chain of events. With the passing game working Al had been calling more of his underneath, draw-type runs which have been working for Portis and Betts; and the RB is more involved in the passing game with Todd at QB.

Archived