Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Michael Wilbon completely lost the his Redskin fanbase?

Jethrodsp

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I was in the thread about Wilbon's latest piece on Joe Gibbs. I read the article as I read almost everything Wilbon has written over the years on the Redskins and I thought it was fantastic.

Many do not think anything Wilbon does even can be readable again after their perception of his veiws on Sean Taylor's death.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702680.html

This is Wilbon's original article from November 28, 2007 about Sean Taylor. Maybe some should read it again and, instead of focusing on the specific events Wilbon recalls, focus on the general message he was trying to get across.

Not only was Wilbon fair in his initial assessment of the circumstances around Taylor's murder, I respect his choice to distance himself from the type of overly-emotional sob journalism that, while more popular among his readers, clouds a larger issue.

It is not that there isn't room for tear-jerking retrospectives or glorious football highlights, god knows we all want to remember the positive impact Sean Taylor made on so many lives, but at the moment Wilbon was told to get an article together he, like me and I'm sure some others, wanted badly to be able to make some sort of connection between Taylor and his death that would explain this sort of senseless violence. Turns out, the connection Wilbon found was in the general theme of his article and not in the specific events that he recounted.

Despite that, the situations he describes and their potential implications on the events surrounding Sean's death were accurate and logical in it's immediate aftermath.

I still read and respect Michael Wilbon for his frank nature and impressive resume but I would like to hear why some others have turned him off completely.

Wrong.

He was one of a handful of sportswriters who couldn't wait to trot out the "He Brought It Upon Himself With His Past Actions" angle. Like too many others, Wilbon wasn't "surprised" that Sean Taylor was murdered because of his past. The idea of not making ANY judgments or assumptions concerning why Taylor was killed never entered his thought process.

Guess what...turns out Sean Taylor's death had abso-****ing-lutely nothing to do with his past, with his gun charge, with stolen ATVs...nothing whatsoever.

Here's Wilbon's own words:

"I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Angry? Yes. Surprised? Not even a little. It was only in June 2006 that Taylor, originally charged with a felony, pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges after brandishing a gun during a battle over who took his all-terrain vehicles in Florida. After that, an angry crew pulled up on Taylor and his boys and pumped at least 15 bullets into his sport-utility vehicle. So why would anybody be surprised? Had it been Shawn Springs, I would have been stunned. But not Sean Taylor."

This "they bring about their own deaths by their lifestyles" mantra being assigned to TOO many young black men has got to go. It's one thing to talk about it after it's been shown to be true, but to bring it out so quickly and so soon after Taylor's death is irresponsible journalism.

Wilbon also says:

"Coincidence? We have no idea, not yet anyway. Could have been a random act, a break-in, something that happens every day in America, something that could happen to any one of us no matter how safe we think our neighborhood is. Could have been just that."

Yes, but that possibility didn't play one iota into the angle of his article. He tacks on that "maybe" scenario almost as a disclaimer, something which he felt would allow him to go into the real direction he wanted to. It's transparent.

And more...

"But would it surprise me if it was more than that, if there was a distinct reason Taylor was sleeping with a machete under his bed? A machete."

yeah, well he wasn't allowed to carry a gun anymore, so he kept a machete. There are a helluva lot of people who keep guns nearby in their bedrooms in case of something exactly like what happened to Sean Taylor...if you're one of those people and you're not allowed to own a gun anymore, what do you replace it with? A kitchen knife? A baseball bat? Would those be more acceptable in Wilbon's mind? The idea that a machete somehow points to something more sinister is laughable logic at best, and horrible speculation poising as legit journalism at worst. In Wilbon's case, I vote the latter.

Wilbon's article is full of this ****...I mean, full of it. He didn't have the maturity, professionalism or class to withhold speculation from his articles, or at the very least approach it in a more humble and tactful way...that's why most fans reacted the way they did to his article.

Wilbon is an uncle tom.

As for the Taylor article/comment, I think Wilbon completely put his foot in his mouth and should've written a formal apology to Taylor's family. I still do not see why people continue to talk about the ATV incident. Taylor did what most of us would do....he confronted some thieves(in Miami's inner city) and brought protection with him. Was he wrong to confront these guys armed? Probably so. But unless you live or have lived in these types of neighborhoods(Im almost certain Wilbon grew up in a middle class area), you should not attempt to comment on the situation whatsover.

Probably safe to say, that Wilbon wasn't a huge favorite amongst many members here before the Sean Taylor murder. Even safer to say he's alienated many more since then. In some cases, one probably lead to the other. That article is one that is left open for interpretation obviously. However, many Redskins fans are not alone in their feeling that Wilbon was wrong for what he said,(for reasons that Califan pointed out amongs others). Several in the media took him to task as well. My feeling was that he was speculating, no matter what package he wrapped it in. And I liked reading Wilbon before that article came out,(though I do admit to reading and liking the article that was put out today).

Wilbon has always said stupid things - he's one of those guys who isn't good on camera because he says dumb stuff without thinking, and it's extra annoying because he's stubborn and won't back down once he says them.

He's not especially smart in the first place so that's a bad combination. The stuff about ST didn't surprise me coming from him, I just rolled my eyes at it.

My impressions are that Wilbon, as a black individual, just gets frustrated at the criminal activity that seems to plague African-American men, particularly those of the younger ages. He writes about race issues a lot and while his opinions do tend to go over the top sometimes (reacting to a report that the British oddsmaker Ladbroke's were giving Tiger Woods pretty good odds to win the Grand Slam back in like 2000, he angrily said that they were setting Tiger up to fail because he was black), many of his pieces are thoughtful.

Points taken.

Wilbon's writing has never been what you would call tactful. In the Nov. 28th article specifically, many of his thoughts on the murder were speculative and perhaps I could relate to what his mind was going through because upon hearing what happened I was speculative also. Doesn't mean I wasn't incredibly sad, but one of the first thoughts that went through my mind was why?

The specific events that may or may not have contributed to Sean Taylor's death were not the main focus of the article though, they were a catalyst to his point: that athletes, and many young people, face a critical crossroads in deciding whether to "hang out or get out" as Wilbon says. Indeed, it seems Sean either could not or would not "get out" soon enough.

As for irresponsible journalism, I suppose I can see where someone might take Wilbon's fact checking as gospel or his logic as solid however the same amount of people would likely see the opposite of Wilbon's article, that Taylor's death was indeed a random act of violence unrelated to the environment he was in, as supremely naive.

Turns out the truth lies in the middle with regards to Taylor; his death was the result of a random act of violence related to his environment.

Wilbon is an uncle tom.

As for the Taylor article/comment, I think Wilbon completely put his foot in his mouth and should've written a formal apology to Taylor's family. I still do not see why people continue to talk about the ATV incident. Taylor did what most of us would do....he confronted some thieves(in Miami's inner city) and brought protection with him. Was he wrong to confront these guys armed? Probably so. But unless you live or have lived in these types of neighborhoods(Im almost certain Wilbon grew up in a middle class area), you should not attempt to comment on the situation whatsover.

This is exactly what I said whent he incident happened. Was it stupid? Probably. Would I have done the same thing at that age? Most definitely. I whooped a boys ass for stealing my fishing pole when I was 16. Sum****!

My impressions are that Wilbon, as a black individual, just gets frustrated at the criminal activity that seems to plague African-American men, particularly those of the younger ages. He writes about race issues a lot and while his opinions do tend to go over the top sometimes (reacting to a report that the British oddsmaker Ladbroke's were giving Tiger Woods pretty good odds to win the Grand Slam back in like 2000, he angrily said that they were setting Tiger up to fail because he was black), many of his pieces are thoughtful.

I don't agree with this at all. Wilbon knows dick about what goes on in the streets. He acts like he knows and puts on a front to try and make people think he knows. You don't "know" unless you've been there. You can be educated or well read about what goes on but until you experience it you just don't know. For him to talk about it like he's in the "know" just makes him look that much more ignorant. Where was his "speculation" with the TO overdose? His punk ass sat there on national TV and made excuses for his ass. Why? He's a hack that's why. He's on TO's tip because that's the popular thing to do. He was bad mouthing ST because that was the popular thing to do.

He doesn't care about young black kids and crime, if he did he'd do something about it besides talking out his backside about a young black man that did absolutely nothing to cause this incident. He had an opportunity to paint a picture of a young black man who changed his life dramatically for the better and instead tried to cast a shadow on this change. What do you think would do the black community more justice? Saying Taylor brought it on himself because he refused to divorce himself from that "lifestyle" or giving young men a role model by telling how Sean did in fact divorce himself from that "lifestyle" and instead embraced the lifestyle of a loving father. A man with a huge heart that was obviously an asset to society and was doing positive things for his community and for the young black men in America. What contributions has Wilbon made? Spewing BS from his mouth and pen? Yea, he really cares.

And no where in his article did I get the impression that Wilbon was implying Sean Taylor brought his fate upon himself.

In fact, Wilbon states clearly that "Taylor, no matter what he might have been involved in at one time, was a victim in this violent episode, a man in his bedroom minding his own business."

I don't agree with this at all. Wilbon knows dick about what goes on in the streets. His acts like he knows and puts on a front to try and make people think he knows. You don't "know" unless you've been there. You can be educated or well read about what goes on but until you experience it you just don't know. For him to talk about it like he's in the "know" just makes him look that much more ignorant. Where was his "speculation" with the TO overdose? His punk ass sat there on national TV and made excuses for his ass. Why? He's a hack that's why. He's on TO's tip because that's the popular thing to do. He was bad mouthing ST because that was the popular thing to do.

You dont agree that Wilbon gets frustrated at the amount of violence in predominantly black communities?

And no where in his article did I get the impression that Wilbon was implying Sean Taylor brought his fate upon himself.

In fact, Wilbon states clearly that "Taylor, no matter what he might have been involved in at one time, was a victim in this violent episode, a man in his bedroom minding his own business."

He didn't have to come out and say it. 99% of the people who read the article interpreted that way. All he focused on was ST's past and the lifestyle he supposedly was living. Everything that he assumed turned out to be absolutely false and he didn't have the balls to apologise for his malvolent remarks. He's a turd no matter how you look at it.

You dont agree that Wilbon gets frustrated at the amount of violence in predominantly black communities?

That's the problem with Wilbon, you just don't know. Is it an act? Does he play that card just to get some attention or is it genuine. The way he makes excuses for the antics of some black athletes while chastising others like ST who knows? He's the John Kerry of journalism. Mr Flip Flop himself. :2cents:

Hell, I'm white and it frustrates me. I would hope it frustrates him too. Like I said, what's he doing about it? ST was talking at his old school and mentoring young kids. What's holy than thou Wilbon doing?

He doesn't care about young black kids and crime, if he did he'd do something about it besides talking out his backside about a young black man that did absolutely nothing to cause this incident. He had an opportunity to paint a picture of a young black man who changed his life dramatically for the better and instead tried to cast a shadow on this change. What do you think would do the black community more justice? Saying Taylor brought it on himself because he refused to divorce himself from that "lifestyle" or giving young men a role model by telling how Sean did in fact divorce himself from that "lifestyle" and instead embraced the lifestyle of a loving father. A man with a huge heart that was obviously an asset to society and was doing positive things for his community and for the young black men in America. What contributions has Wilbon made? Spewing BS from his mouth and pen? Yea, he really cares.

I think his way of doing something about it is to use Sean Taylor's story as a cautionary tale.

Wilbon says: "You see, just because Taylor was changing his life, don't assume the people who pumped 15 bullets into his SUV a couple of years ago were in the process of changing theirs."

Even though it is evident now that there is no connection between the ATV incident and the murder the point still stands that it cannot be assumed that a change in attitude is the only component of "growing up" that matters. Sometimes a change of environment (home and friends) matters just as much or more.

The Taylor article was callous and did hint of "he caused his own death." The timing was irresponsible and cold. He may have not known Taylor was going to die when he wrote it, but he should have considered the possibility. If he writes good articles in the future I may read them, but my attitude towards him has been significantly tainted. He will have to do a lot to change my current opinion of him.

He may have meant well, wanting to emphasize how the associations of many black men need to change, because so many have lead to tragedy. But he left no room for the redemption of Taylor. We was prejudiced despite the word of Gibbs, and it showed.

:2cents:

I think his way of doing something about it is to use Sean Taylor's story as a cautionary tale.

Wilbon says: "You see, just because Taylor was changing his life, don't assume the people who pumped 15 bullets into his SUV a couple of years ago were in the process of changing theirs."

Even though it is evident now that there is no connection between the ATV incident and the murder the point still stands that it cannot be assumed that a change in attitude is the only component of "growing up" that matters. Sometimes a change of environment (home and friends) matters just as much or more.

I read his article on JG not because he wrote it but because it was about our coach. It was good because he stuck to the facts. I could give a rats ass about his opinions. His timing with the ST article makes me question him as a human being. I see him as an opportunistic prick who was trying to be "that guy" with the "know". You know the guy who's down with the hood and knows whats up. Then when he was proven to know absolutely nothing about "whats up" he refused to retract his comments. He's a pompous ass.

He didn't have to come out and say it. 99% of the people who read the article interpreted that way. All he focused on was ST's past and the lifestyle he supposedly was living. Everything that he assumed turned out to be absolutely false and he didn't have the balls to apologise for his malvolent remarks. He's a turd no matter how you look at it.

Seems to me that Wilbon stated many times that the incident could indeed have been completely random in nature and that Taylor's past transgressions may have had no effect on how or why it happened.

The last eight paragraphs of the article focused on Wilbon's greater issue. Even in the four or five paragraphs that Wilbon used to lay out the facts of Taylor's checkered past and how they could connect to his murder, Wilbon stopped well short of saying these facts were directly related to it. Wilbon specifically says that he wouldn't be surprised if they were connected. I wouldn't have been surprised either. This doesn't mean I didn't recognize the growth Sean had shown as a person and it certainly doesn't mean that I thought Sean brought this fate upon himself.

Wilbon is mean spirited prick

Tony Kornheisers words before the week 2 MNF Eagle game regarding Gibbs and the "Bandwagon" have me accepting him into the Redskin Family

THOMAS BOSWELL BLEEDS THE BURGUNDY AND GOLD...

AND NAT RED AND BLUE

*NATMAGIC*

:point2sky

Wilbon's article is full of this ****...I mean, full of it. He didn't have the maturity, professionalism or class to withhold speculation from his articles, or at the very least approach it in a more humble and tactful way...that's why most fans reacted the way they did to his article.

Not only that, but the prick has yet to apologize even though it's crystal clear he was talking out of his ***.

Question: Why is Jethrodsp defending this fool? maybe he's from the Washpo marketing department...

Archived