Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Story - Getting Punched by Chris Cooley's Dad

mrredskinDgreen

I wanted to share this little story with everyone on extremeskins...

December 6th, 2007 - our home game against Da Bears. I go to just about every game with my Dad and little Bro and usually a couple guests of ours. We sit in the lower level, opposite end zone from where the band is, right between the field goal posts, section 232. We had been tailgating for about 3 hours, and if any of you were at that game then you remember how cold it was. Well, we get to our seats with about 15 min before game time. Every game this year there has been a different group of people sitting in the row in front of us because the tickets holders from last season gave up their seats. So I introduce myself to the 2 people sitting directly in front of me and I tell them that I am apoligizing in advance, but I'm going to be very loud and scream my head off for the skins the entire game. Well this lady tells me that she doesn't mind that a bit, in fact she welcomes it, and the guy sitting on her left is Chris Cooley's Dad. He was wearing a hat signed by Cooley at the time too. So naturally I was caught off guard (and a little intoxicated but not to the point of being annoying, just having fun). So I shake his hand, and tell him we are proud to have him sitting in front of us, same with my brother and a buddy of mine that came with us too. Well the word traveled around us pretty fast that it was Mr. Cooley sitting there...you could hear people talking about him and whispers of "oh that's Mr. Cooley!?!" and "I can't believe that's Mr. Cooley, why would he have seats right here???" Ya know, stuff like that. Well it seemed like he was getting a bit uncomfortable. So about 4 or 5 minutes into the game, the skins make a good play (I don't remember exactly what the play was) and my buddy sitting next to me jumps up and his elbow comes down and knocks my beer out of my hand and down to the ground, then it goes under Mr. Cooley's feet and it spilling out. So Mr. Cooley just turns around with a weird grin on his face, ****s back, and punches me right in my chest. Mr. Cooley was no small man to say the least but I'm proud to say that I took it pretty well, didn't really move me back at all. It did however catch me totally off guard and everyone around us too. So right after it happened I said "Yo, what the hell was that about? It was just an accident man." He apoligized right away, saying he was really sorry, he didn't mean anything by it, and he was really embarassed. He probably apoligized to me 5 or 6 times. I was just laughing and telling him not to worry about it, it was no big deal, lets have fun and watch the game. So the game went on, we yelled COOOOOOLEY together when he made big catches, high fived, and just had a great time for the rest of the game.....but what a random ass moment for a redskins fan huh???

So, last thursday, the 20th Chris Cooley came to dulles town center mall for an autograph signing. It cost 100 bucks per ticket for his autograph, and it included a picture. When I heard he was going to be there, I told myself that I had to go and tell him this story. He loved the story and thought it was hilarious. He said he could definitely see his dad doing something like that. We had a good laugh about it. He even offered for me to punch him in his chest :laugh:. I declined the offer though and told him that it only made me more of a fan.

Well that's right out of left field.

Was there any explanation of why his dad hit you in the chest?

Pretty odd, if you ask me--apology notwithstanding.

No explanation at all. Just a lot of apoligizing. If I had to guess, it would be that he thought we were trying to spill beer on him maybe?? I really don't know but if it had been anyone BUT Mr. Cooley then we would have had some problems.

Good story....like the other guy I really dont understand why he hit you then never really explained why....but hey whatever...sweet picture.

Ps....thats one massive Wall o text.....maybe a few courtesy enter keys

would help :)

Consistent with ES Rules, please don't quote huge blocks of text in your replies, even if the text you're quoting needs to be paragraphed. Thanks. :) ~ihs

No explanation at all. Just a lot of apoligizing. If I had to guess, it would be that he thought we were trying to spill beer on him maybe?? I really don't know but if it had been anyone BUT Mr. Cooley then we would have had some problems.

Did he have some kind of spasm in his right arm?

Turning around with a grin and then following that with a punch in the chest, and following that with an apology--just strikes me as inconsistent behavior.

Just weird, is all. :)

Did he have some kind of spasm in his right arm?

Turning around with a grin and then following that with a punch in the chest, and following that with an apology--just strikes me as inconsistent behavior.

Just weird, is all. :)

I agree....but at times....I dont think Cooley is all that normal to be honest. :laugh:

Maybe the apple doesnt fall far from the tree?

What a great, but strange story.

Seems like other than the one punch, the whole incident was handled with class. You did not overreact, he apologized, and Chris took the time to listen to your story and made you feel better about it.

Now you have a great story and an autographed pic to prove it. Better than the alternative, you both fight and get arrested or bounced from the stadium. Way to make the best of a bad situation.

I think that is true for the most part. I know he keeps more of a "friends" type of relationship with his Dad.

His Dad told me that he lives in Wyoming. I think Cooley's Mom lives around here though.

Yup, you are right! It's sad that when I hear about a single mom, I assume the dad's a deadbeat. :doh:

Here is the feature on Chris Cooley from two years ago!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/06/AR2006010602033.html

Neither Nancy nor Ken Cooley, Chris and Tanner's father who remained in Powell, Wyo., have remarried. "My mom did a good job of keeping everything from us and letting us see my dad when we could," Cooley said. "She never talked bad about him."

Ken Cooley declined to elaborate on what drove his ex-wife to Utah with the children. "But it sure hurt when they took off," he said by telephone. "I really liked being a dad. There was a big void. Oh, man, when that happened there wasn't enough whiskey in the house to drink."

Though Nancy raised them, both boys maintain a relationship with their father. Nancy came to Washington for the Cowboys and Giants games this season; Ken saw Chris play the Eagles in November.

"Yeah, it's not like a father-son relationship," Ken said. "It's more like buddies. I like it that way."

"I'm close with him, but he's more like my best friend than a Dad," Cooley said. "I know I missed him growing up."

I love Chris Cooley, and have respect for him and his father, but it was probably not a smart thing for his father to just hit you in the chest.

It's funny that this happened at the Bears Game. I had my own "encounter" with a fellow skins fan that night. My roommate and I had been tailgating since 3pm that afternoon, so we were a bit on the intoxicated side when the game started, but were still in control of ourselves. During the opening kick off, I was jumping up and down in section 411, and I slipped on some ice, and fell 3 rows forward, and as I landed on my side 3 rows down, my foot knocked into a guy accidentally spilling his beer. I apologized and went and bought him a fresh beer. I thought everything was cool. Then at halftime as I am looking for my roommate who had disappeared during the 1st quarter, the guy confronts me again, this time with his friend who was much larger than he was. This guy does not believe that I slipped on some ice, and he thinks I jumped down 3 rows and knocked him down "on purpose" simply because he was not wearing any redskins gear. I told him that was ridiculous, and that it was totally accidental, and that I was sorry again. Well his "friend" did not like my attitude so he gets right up in my face and says "dude, do you want to die?" I said, "Not particularly, but if thats the way it has to be, then bring it on." His friend then grabs my face and slams it into the wall that i was leaning against. Well then I tackle him, and it took several FedEx staff members to pull me off this guy. Well, he was all screaming and threatening me, that is until people around me told them that this guy struck first, and then actual cops were called in and the guy was lead away crying. His friend (the guy I knocked into originally) went running after them trying to plead his case.

It was quite an event. But it was annoying that people can act so stupid at games.

Archived