Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why was Anthony Montgomery a late round pick?

redskins59

Seems to me like he's got all the tools to succeed in the NFL. Check this analysis out by a guy who calls himself "GM Jr". He felt Anthony Montgomery should have been a high round pick. This is a PDF file btw:

http://www.gmjr.com/files/gmjr20_a.montgomery-2005-dt[1].pdf

Anthony is a strong and athletic DT with the rare ability to be an impact player as a 2-Gap Stay-At-Home DT or as an explosive gap shooting DT. He needs to improve his consistency playing with leverage and aggressiveness in order to consistently play up to his ability in the NFL because right now he is not nearly as effective at the POA when he gets up high andis not aggressive with hands. One of the things I like the most about Anthony is that unlike most very athletic DT’s, he consistently hustles and chases hard after the ball from snap to whistle - Usually his hustle is seen more in over-achieving DT’s who are limited athletically. Overall, Anthony is going to be a high draft pick because he offers the versatility to be very productive in any type of defense and will be able to start and contribute early in his career - Will be just as effective player DT in a 43 defense or DE in a 34 defense. He will be able to make an impact rushing the passer, on inside runs and chasing down ball carriers on runs away.

Click on the link above to read his analysis. It's very interesting.

I'm just glad he fell to us. He's a stud and we are lucky to have him and another young DT in Kedric Golston to learn under Griff and coach Blache. IMO, in a few years he could be mentioned with the likes of the Williams duo in Min. as well as Tommy Harris in Chi if he progresses like he currently is.

He needed tough love because the knock on him is that he was extremely lazy. And he was extremely lazy his rookie year. Williams and the rest of the team rode him and let him know that he will have to work at this level. But he was the classic underachiever. That's why he fell in draft status.

It was work ethic and attitude. Gibbs & Co. made another great draft pick. Who needs a GM? Rich McKay anyone? Please, not in D.C.!

Director of College Scouting Scott Campbell.

He took over as head of College Scouting ever since 2006, having had a very successful run as Pro Scouting Director in 2004-2005 (Griffin, Springs, Daniels, Portis, Rabach, Moss).

Although lacking in high draft picks due to terrible trades, he has found some gems. Meanwhile, the 04 and 05 drafts that took place before him netted late round busts like Molinaro and Wilson.

He needed tough love because the knock on him is that he was extremely lazy. And he was extremely lazy his rookie year. Williams and the rest of the team rode him and let him know that he will have to work at this level. But he was the classic underachiever. That's why he fell in draft status.

and hopefully he wont regress. if he keeps up what hes done since this offseason. he will be a force.

Here is an article back from October that explains everything about Monty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/25/AR2007102502644.html?sub=AR

Montgomery's defensive line coach, Tom Sims, a former standout NFL lineman, had played for Greg Blache, Washington's defensive line coach. Montgomery became accustomed to the kind of verbal barrages that are common from the Redskins' defensive staff. But he remained unrefined by NFL standards and interest in him in the 2006 draft was lukewarm.

Several NFL teams had him work out as an offensive tackle, and Montgomery fretted about yet another position switch. "I heard people say that I didn't have the right attitude for a defensive lineman, that I was too laid back," Montgomery said. During his visit to Washington, Blache told him that if the Redskins drafted him, it would be as a defensive tackle.

"The big question mark was, 'Were we going to be better than some of the coaches before who let him get by as an underachiever?' " said Gregg Williams, the Redskins' assistant head coach-defense.

"We've always appreciated [Montgomery's] talent, but we haven't appreciated his effort at times," Williams said.

Montgomery's "Welcome To The NFL" moment came in one of the first practices last season, when he faced the starting offense as a member of the scout team. "I'm thinking, 'Okay, scout team, training camp is over, the tempo is going to come down some,' " Montgomery said. "Then the first play I came off a double team got drove back and put on my back. That's when the fire got lit within me. I take pride in not being put on my back like that, and when it happened I was like, 'I've got to improve.' "

Montgomery stayed at Redskins Park nearly full time after the season, making just a few trips home between January and the start of training camp. His mind was catching up to his body; his body was getting stronger.

If only those who said we needed Alan Branch would now step up and admit they were wrong.

First of all, I was an Alan Branch supporter and Blache would've done wonders with him. It's ok to have d-line depth, right? This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.

I said ALL offseason that Montgomery, Golston, Cornelius were all we needed at the DT position. Montgomery will be a Pro Bowler one day.

Right, and if Big Monty goes down, what then? We have only one viable 2-gap tackle.

Bottom line, hoping for d-line depth makes sense.

Obviously with Taylor gone, RIP, the Landry pick makes sense but I'd have been just as happy with Branch or Okoye, whom I am convinced Blache would've turned into studs ALONGSIDE Monty.

Archived