Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis and other misses of the pro bowl roster..(merged)

mcarey032

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Portis...under 4 yds per carry. Thats just not that good. Yes we have had injuries to the OL and a lot of other things. But it seems pretty simple to me that Barber has done better with his touches this year. Hate em cause he's a cowboy but the guy is a beast.

Other Points to consider...Add another 100 carries to Barber at his current rates...yeah thats 1400 yds and 14 tds...that would be even carries with Portis.

I believe this was in another thread as well. Sometimes you just have to take things for what it is. Sorry guys Portis doesnt deserve to be in the pro bowl.

I think the whole Pro Bowl is a joke - and not a very good one at that. The Jags who might be the 3rd best team in the AFC got zero players in the AFC squad.

Its name recognition, body of work and which team you play for not how you produced THIS season. Its great to see Sean Taylor, Cooley and Samules get in and all but frankly apart from quickly looking to see which of our guys got the nod I could care less about the whole concept.

I won't lie. How we can even pretend to be able to measure the performance of a center, is beyond me.
The ability to snap the ball in a shotgun formation without sending the ball 5 feet over the QB's head is as good a starting point as any.

i don't watch the pokes enough to make a real statement on gurode. but i don't think rabach is a pro bowl center.

I have to agree here. Although I cant sit here and evaluate center play.....I really dont think Casey is a pro bowler....although I havent heard his name this year at all like past years (Bad false starts, holding penaltys)....so maybe thats a good thing :D . That being said....after the horrible snaps gurode has had....I dont think he should be there either.

I just think the voters are kinda lazy....and dont want to evaluate center play any more then we do....so they just went with the best teams center.

Hey all,

I saw that the Pro Bowl roster was announced today and I saw that the NFL did the right thing and announced that Sean Taylor was to be added to the Pro Bowl roster. It was the right thing to do, but moreover, he definitely would have earned his spot because of his play. What I did notice was that Clinton Portis, who currently has over a thousand yards on the season, was left off the roster. I did see that Marion Barber made the roster and if you look at his numbers they are comparable in every way except yardage in which Portis has more yards than barber by about 200 yds. Here are the numbers that I pulled off of NFL.com

RB 24 Barber, Marion CAR 176 YDS 871 AVG 4.9 TDS 9 Dallas Cowboys

RB 26 Portis, Clinton CAR 280 YDS 1,082 AVG 3.9 TDS 8 Washington Redskins

Now I know that I look at things through burgundy and gold glasses, but really, the numbers are right there. Big deal he scores one more touchdown and averages one more yard per carry. Just because he plays on an 12-2 team doesn't make him Tony Dorsett. Look at New England. You didn't see Marion Barber's college teammate Lawerence Maroney, make the team and why is that? If records are what decides who gets in shouldn't he have been on the roster instead of Willie Parker or Joesph Addai or even Ladanian Tomlinson? Who is more valuable to the team Portis not only is our primary running option, but he also is one of our best blockers on the team. He gets the tough yards. I am not arguing that Barber doesn't get tough yards, but this rediculous. If you took off Barber, Julius Jones would still be there getting yards.

At any rate, what do you all think about Portis not making the Pro Bowl? He deserved to make it or did he get screwed big time?

PS I do know that a lot of the voting hinged on the fans voting, but that is only one component of the process. I can't believe that the coaches and players didn't know any better unless they are just sheep too.

The thing you didn't look at is catches. Barber has I think 3 more TDs from passes. And he is only 200 yards behind Portis has a backup. For the record, I voted for Portis, but Barber is a more dominate player this year

I think the whole Pro Bowl is a joke - and not a very good one at that. The Jags who might be the 3rd best team in the AFC got zero players in the AFC squad.

Its name recognition, body of work and which team you play for not how you produced THIS season. Its great to see Sean Taylor, Cooley and Samules get in and all but frankly apart from quickly looking to see which of our guys got the nod I could care less about the whole concept.

I'm not sure what's worse... the Pro Bowl voting or the BCS :doh:

It's amazing that the Jags got noone and they have the 3rd best team in the league right now. Fred Taylor is doing it this year while splitting carries with Maurice Jones Drew. Just a shame that he gets snubbed every year that he is truly deserving of an invite.

I'm not sure what's worse... the Pro Bowl voting or the BCS :doh:

It's amazing that the Jags got noone and they have the 3rd best team in the league right now. Fred Taylor is doing it this year while splitting carries with Maurice Jones Drew. Just a shame that he gets snubbed every year that he is truly deserving of an invite.

Actually baseball and basketball is worse than football when it comes to all star voting. In basketball I've seen players get in that haven't even played at all. Thats one thing that would never happen in the NFL. Although I remember Jerimiah Trotter get in playing like 9 games one time. Terrence Newman shouldn't have made it this year either.

Portis and Fletch both could definitely make a case for why they should be in the Pro Bowl, but essentially it's nothing more than a popularity contest like many have said - so what are ya gonna do?

IMO, there are two big time players (among others) in the NFL that absolutely got snubbed from the game. Fred Taylor and Mario Williams. This right here is why the Pro Bowl is a joke and the ONLY reason I'll be watching at all this year is because I want to see if anything is done to honor Sean.

Every year people get the shaft at the Pro Bowl. Tatupu has one more INT than Fletch (thanks to AJ Feeley) and has at least 30 tackles fewer than Fletch.

Barber getting in over Portis is because of his toughness running (Portis is the better blocker by a mile) also when you're on National TV almost every week people see you more.

The only reason why I would even watch the Pro Bowl is to see how they honor Sean.

Every game Gurode snaps the ball WAY too high at least once or twice. We were fortunate enough to see this little gem:

8ek7bkg.gif

That snap was not too high. It was too early. The snap was perfect. It hit Romo sits to pee right in the face. Had the timing been right, Romo sits to pee would be yelled at from here to San Diego if he didn't catch that snap.

That snap was not too high. It was too early. The snap was perfect. It hit Romo sits to pee right in the face. Had the timing been right, Romo sits to pee would be yelled at from here to San Diego if he didn't catch that snap.

It was too early and too high, it's supposed to hit his hands not his face

1. You think portis should be in probowl because he is more "valuable" to the team? Are you serious? Sorry, he isn't as valuable as here, as Westbrook to philly. Name any team who's running back isn't a valuable player, even L Maroney from the Pats is as important to them as Portis to us dispite their 5 to 1 pass to run ratio.

2. You are a serious homer and I love it. But I hope you accept that Portis is nothing but an emotional leader for this team. His performance and work ethic makes me sick.

3. I just feel he lost his touch and he doesn't play with his heart anymore. Makes me sad. But still it would be nice if he made probowl of popularity contest but I honestly don't think he deserves it because he is more "valuable". We are 7-7 team how many games did portis won for us this year anyway?

This is why people who don't love the Cowboys hate the Cowboys.

Barber is a great player. I think he should be the full time starter down there. I've said so for two years.

But the fact is, he's not the full time starter down there. He's a part time back, who's gotten part-time yards and (most importantly) a part-time ypc average. There is no way you can put him up fairly against guys that grind it out every snap. I don't think Portis has really had himself a pro-bowl season. He's been hot and cold and dissappeared in some games. Portis not making the pro-bowl doesn't really bother me. But I'd pick him over Barber, because he shoulders the load for his team. I'd take Gore over Barber too.

I just don't see how you can be considered the best at your position when your own team doesn't even consider you good enough to be a full time starter.

the seasons not over, portis could very well finish with over a 4.0 ypc average, portis always runs ahrder the more he ets the ball and gets better later in the season, im glad we are giving himthe ball 25-30 times agame cus we pretty much win when portis hits over 100 yards on 25+ carries. he has gained weight which will help his durability.

Archived