Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis and other misses of the pro bowl roster..(merged)

mcarey032

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey all,

I saw that the Pro Bowl roster was announced today and I saw that the NFL did the right thing and announced that Sean Taylor was to be added to the Pro Bowl roster. It was the right thing to do, but moreover, he definitely would have earned his spot because of his play. What I did notice was that Clinton Portis, who currently has over a thousand yards on the season, was left off the roster. I did see that Marion Barber made the roster and if you look at his numbers they are comparable in every way except yardage in which Portis has more yards than barber by about 200 yds. Here are the numbers that I pulled off of NFL.com

RB 24 Barber, Marion CAR 176 YDS 871 AVG 4.9 TDS 9 Dallas Cowboys

RB 26 Portis, Clinton CAR 280 YDS 1,082 AVG 3.9 TDS 8 Washington Redskins

Now I know that I look at things through burgundy and gold glasses, but really, the numbers are right there. Big deal he scores one more touchdown and averages one more yard per carry. Just because he plays on an 12-2 team doesn't make him Tony Dorsett. Look at New England. You didn't see Marion Barber's college teammate Lawerence Maroney, make the team and why is that? If records are what decides who gets in shouldn't he have been on the roster instead of Willie Parker or Joesph Addai or even Ladanian Tomlinson? Who is more valuable to the team Portis not only is our primary running option, but he also is one of our best blockers on the team. He gets the tough yards. I am not arguing that Barber doesn't get tough yards, but this rediculous. If you took off Barber, Julius Jones would still be there getting yards.

At any rate, what do you all think about Portis not making the Pro Bowl? He deserved to make it or did he get screwed big time?

PS I do know that a lot of the voting hinged on the fans voting, but that is only one component of the process. I can't believe that the coaches and players didn't know any better unless they are just sheep too.

haha.... this poll will be very biased... but either way, CP has had a good season, despite our offensive line playing musical chairs. plus you have to account for the fact that we are a team that relies on the run, so defenses scheme for CP. dallas is obviously more dependent on the pass, so defenses DO NOT scheme for barber

i feel bad for CP, he really has been doing everything he could to help this team be succussful and it has to hurt to not get recognized for it

Portis has a gripe.. but the one person who gets screwed every year is Fred Taylor... Only back in history with over 10000 yards rushing to never make the probowl. Not to mention Addai and Parker have less rushing yards, and average a yard less per carry than Freds 5.1 ypc.

the pro bowl is a scam

Personally i think it should be Adrian P., Brain W., and Frank Gore.

Portis had a good season considering, but so did all of the above.

Marion Barber and Ryan Grant have nice YPC stats and all, but they are both playing behind 2 of the top NFC passing attacks. Makes it a lot easier when the defense is trying to stop the deep threat.

I think they need to change how much the fan voting really counts toward this. I know they hope inviting the guys the fans supposedly want to see will increase the abyssmal Pro Bowl TV ratings a bit but you would think that player and coach votes could overpower the bandwagons. Eleven Cowboys not including alternates?!?! That had to come from the fan vote. I just heard on the Tampa news tonight that not a single Buc made it so I am happy to just take Cooley and Samuels and run with it. Maybe one or two of our alternates will end up going in which case it will become our best group in a long time.

I think in '05 it was just Samuels and Moss and '06 was Samuels and Taylor, with Taylor having been an alternate who got in due to an injury. I assume it's Redskin fans along with the coaches and players that give Samuels enough to get in every year. I doubt most people bother to vote O-line without any stats or noteriety.

Portis has a gripe.. but the one person who gets screwed every year is Fred Taylor... Only back in history with over 10000 yards rushing to never make the probowl. Not to mention Addai and Parker have less rushing yards, and average a yard less per carry than Freds 5.1 ypc.

the pro bowl is a scam

Seriously, I think some people fail to vote for Fred Taylor because of his bad luck over the years. They get to his name on the ballot, and automatically think, "Hmm...Isn't he injured? Yeah, I think so," and vote for someone else.

:2cents:

As far as Portis/Barber, CP is probably the better player when you take blocking and intangibles into account, but Barber is having the better season as a pure RB. Course, a lot of that is due to Dallas' O-line, and our injuries up front, but you can't hold that against MB.

Personally i think it should be Adrian P., Brain W., and Frank Gore.

Portis had a good season considering, but so did all of the above.

Marion Barber and Ryan Grant have nice YPC stats and all, but they are both playing behind 2 of the top NFC passing attacks. Makes it a lot easier when the defense is trying to stop the deep threat.

Frank Gore? Are you kidding me???? :laugh:

Seriously, I think some people fail to vote for Fred Taylor because of his bad luck over the years. They get to his name on the ballot, and automatically think, "Hmm...Isn't he injured? Yeah, I think so," and vote for someone else.

:2cents:

As far as Portis/Barber, CP is probably the better player when you take blocking and intangibles into account, but Barber is having the better season as a pure RB. Course, a lot of that is due to Dallas' O-line, and our injuries up front, but you can't hold that against MB.

Unbelievable that Taylor has never made it to the Pro Bowl. And he had over 1,500 yards in 03'. Check out his career stats...

2007Jacksonville Jaguars 1421615.41,0915.177.9480T4219.46322006Jacksonville Jaguars 1523115.41,1465.076.45764619.96122005Jacksonville Jaguars 1119417.67874.171.5371T2613.41102004Jacksonville Jaguars 1426018.61,2244.787.42464818.59232003Jacksonville Jaguars 1634521.61,5724.698.26627722.310252002Jacksonville Jaguars 1628717.91,3144.682.1863T4716.48222001Jacksonville Jaguars 23015.01163.958.0024620.02012000Jacksonville Jaguars 1329222.51,3994.8107.612717325.012221999Jacksonville Jaguars 1015915.97324.673.26523823.95201998Jacksonville Jaguars 1526417.61,2234.681.514

Not at all.. 216 carries for 919 yards.. 4.2 YPC.

And that is with the worst QB's in the NFC helping him out.

San Fran's best reciever has 581 yards on the season.

Frank Gore is also the 3rd leading reciever on the team with 372 yards.

900 yards is pretty damn good when you play on the worst offense in the league.

900 yards is pretty damn good when you play on the worst offense in the league.

It sure is... especially when you walk into every game knowing that the other team's plan is very simple.... stop you.

They have THE worst passing game in the NFC. That'll make it tough on your RB. Who is also your 3rd leading reciever.

If Frank Gore was in Green Bay or anyone with a decent passing game, he would be ridiculous.

I lost popular vote here. I love Clinton Portis, and I think he's probably the most important player on our offense, and probably the best as well, but Marion Barber deserves it more than Portis this year. He's averaging an entire yard per carry more than Portis this year, and has 1 more touchdown on over 100 less carries.

If Portis had a healthy offensive line he'd be having an even better year, but to take Barber's accomplishments away from him is just foolish.

Everytime i watch a cowpukes game their center is always effing up the snap. As a matter of fact if you watch NFL network top 10 plays, if it ever features tony lover boy Romo sits to pee's performence it starts with their center screwing up and Romo sits to pee managing to get a first down. How the hell does this guy make pro-bowl? I don't remember CR ever screwing up in snapping the ball and he is damn good in pulling. :dallasuck

gurode had that one bad game against us but hes much better then rabach

rabach sucked most part of this year

gurode is prob the best run blocking c in the game.

It wasn't just against us. Gurode has botched shotgun snaps all year long. Who cares how well a guy can run block when he can't even master the fundamentals of snapping the ball.

Rabach is not even in the same class as Gurode

explain

I would like to know exactly what makes you say this? Being a former Center I am curious to know your thoughts?

a couple things I can provide you against your statements

The Pokes OL isn't playing much better than the Skins OL this season, in fact the Skins OL has rushed more, for more yards, and has only allowed one more sack than the pokes

Now when you consider that the Pokes OL has been healthy and together all season, and Gurode has had another "so called" pro bowl guard beside him in Davis, while Rabach has had to play on a line that lost 3 starters from last season, including both guards, and Fabini isn't even a natural guard, but tackle who has had to learn the postion, and relied on Rabach almost all season... and the Fact with Jansen out, the Right side has relied more on Rabach calls on blocking assignments... tend to think Rabach maybe doing more, and in all is having a better season based on just stats

then there is the "bad snap" things Gurode has had several all season, 4 in the Skins game alone, then the classic highlight against the Rams that he sent the ball 30 yards behind the LOS for Romo sits to pee to make a great play getting the ball out and make a first down with... opposed to CR who has zero exchange problems this season, even with a QB switch after JC went down.

I don't know their stat line, but I will bet CR doesn't have allowed more sacks than Gurode

While I don't say Rabach is pro bowl worthy, I can say Gurode is definitely not a better center or blocker than CR

explain

I would like to know exactly what makes you say this? Being a former Center I am curious to know your thoughts?

a couple things I can provide you against your statements

The Pokes OL isn't playing much better than the Skins OL this season, in fact the Skins OL has rushed more, for more yards, and has only allowed one more sack than the pokes

Now when you consider that the Pokes OL has been healthy and together all season, and Gurode has had another "so called" pro bowl guard beside him in Davis, while Rabach has had to play on a line that lost 3 starters from last season, including both guards, and Fabini isn't even a natural guard, but tackle who has had to learn the postion, and relied on Rabach almost all season... and the Fact with Jansen out, the Right side has relied more on Rabach calls on blocking assignments... tend to think Rabach maybe doing more, and in all is having a better season based on just stats

then there is the "bad snap" things Gurode has had several all season, 4 in the Skins game alone, then the classic highlight against the Rams that he sent the ball 30 yards behind the LOS for Romo sits to pee to make a great play getting the ball out and make a first down with... opposed to CR who has zero exchange problems this season, even with a QB switch after JC went down.

I don't know their stat line, but I will bet CR doesn't have allowed more sacks than Gurode

While I don't say Rabach is pro bowl worthy, I can say Gurode is definitely not a better center or blocker than CR

Cowboys don't keep in as many people to block as we do. Cowboys are also averaging more yards per carry than the Skins are. At the same time, Rabach has been suffering from a pretty bad groin injury all year and has toughed it out.

Maybe one day when the Skins go 12-2, they will have a bunch of Pro Bowlers.

Archived