Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams quote

skinsfan1523

Earlier today I was listening to the radio (czaban show) and they were talking about the skins win. They then played a clip from gregg williams after the game. He said something along the lines of they were comfortable with the 22-3 lead and that they would lay off a bit, and that if the Giants were to pull within ONE score they would start attacking again. Guys we had that lead at the beginning of the second half and they then decidid to start playing clock games. God I hate this mentality, this is why we lose these leads all the time because we don't attack. We were moving the ball at will against them and Gibbs decides to call off the dogs. I don't understand I don't see ANY other coach in the NFL pull this crap except Gibbs. The defense stopped attacking Eli, and they strated moving the ball on us. If it weren't for some timely drops, this game could have ended in devastating fashion again. It just so happened to work this time because the Giants stunk up the field, and it scares me because Gibbs might think it works.

Yeah, we sit on leads, and teams that sit on leads are poor or average at best, case in pt. 7-7. I believe we are a better team that our record implies. We should be 10-3 or better. We have lost what? 5 halftime leads. Someone has got to see this trend and address it

You would think Gibbs would, but he just keeps on doing it, and we keep on losing. Thank god the Giants sucked last night otherwise it would be another second half meltdown added to the Gibbs II regime. Thank you Amani Toomer.

You would think Gibbs would, but he just keeps on doing it, and we keep on losing. Thank god the Giants sucked last night otherwise it would be another second half meltdown added to the Gibbs II regime. Thank you Amani Toomer.

You think we 1 b/c toomer dropped 1 ball. come on man...

You think we 1 b/c toomer dropped 1 ball. come on man...

That's not what I'm saying, but you can't deny that was a guaranteed TD he dropped. That would have put the Giants at 22-17, with over a quarter still left to play, a completely new ball game. Sure the skins could have found a way to still pull it out but why put yourself in that situation?

It was the right thing to do in that situation. They have gone too conservative too early in other games this year IMO though.

I agree, with the wind the way it was last night, throwing the ball was dicey at best. Better to play it close to the vest and hold a lead than tempt fate with potential turnovers that give the Giants field position.

~Bang

That's not what I'm saying, but you can't deny that was a guaranteed TD he dropped. That would have put the Giants at 22-17, with over a quarter still left to play, a completely new ball game. Sure the skins could have found a way to still pull it out but why put yourself in that situation?

I don't think that playing conservatively put us in that situation. We were trying to make sure they didn't get a quick score on a big play. You keep blitzing against Eli and Plax and sooner or later they're going to burn you. I don't like the prevent defense either, but it was the smart thing to do in that situation. It worked.

look at the elements the game was played in before you start ripping gw for this comment. there was no reason to let anybody get behind us the way the wind was affecting the balls. it was the right call. make eli check it down or force a fluttering duck for a turnover. would you really have rathered have us coming hard and giving plaxico a chance to catch a slant with no coverage and turn an 8 yard gain into a 60 yard td?

come on people. we won the game convincingly. the coaching was fine.

I don't think that playing conservatively put us in that situation. We were trying to make sure they didn't get a quick score on a big play. You keep blitzing against Eli and Plax and sooner or later they're going to burn you. I don't like the prevent defense either, but it was the smart thing to do in that situation. It worked.

I can buy that, but Eli is Eli. If he's trying to mount a comeback and were in his face all the time he will make critical mistakes, which in turn could end the game. The thing with prevent is sure they won't burn you in one play, but in about six or seven plays or less they're knocking on the endzone door.

look at the elements the game was played in before you start ripping gw for this comment. there was no reason to let anybody get behind us the way the wind was affecting the balls. it was the right call. make eli check it down or force a fluttering duck for a turnover. would you really have rathered have us coming hard and giving plaxico a chance to catch a slant with no coverage and turn an 8 yard gain into a 60 yard td?

come on people. we won the game convincingly. the coaching was fine.

It's not just this game though. We do this all the time, one of the contributing reasons we have lost so many leads this year. Sure we give the Giants a chance at a big play, but with Eli at the helm trying to make a comeback he will tend to force things when he is under duress. When he is given all day he will pick us apart just like any QB in the NFL.

It's not just this game though. We do this all the time, one of the contributing reasons we have lost so many leads this year. Sure we give the Giants a chance at a big play, but with Eli at the helm trying to make a comeback he will tend to force things when he is under duress. When he is given all day he will pick us apart just like any QB in the NFL.

The problem, tho, hasn't been the defense most of the time, but the offense incapable of keeping things going. If you can't keep the ball offensively and score, it is hard for the defense to keep pitching a shutout.

Jason

Earlier today I was listening to the radio (czaban show) and they were talking about the skins win. They then played a clip from gregg williams after the game. He said something along the lines of they were comfortable with the 22-3 lead and that they would lay off a bit, and that if the Giants were to pull within ONE score they would start attacking again. Guys we had that lead at the beginning of the second half and they then decidid to start playing clock games. God I hate this mentality, this is why we lose these leads all the time because we don't attack. We were moving the ball at will against them and Gibbs decides to call off the dogs. I don't understand I don't see ANY other coach in the NFL pull this crap except Gibbs. The defense stopped attacking Eli, and they strated moving the ball on us. If it weren't for some timely drops, this game could have ended in devastating fashion again. It just so happened to work this time because the Giants stunk up the field, and it scares me because Gibbs might think it works.

This is the kind of BS posting on this board where people continue to twist coache's words etc. If you'd have watched the game or at least understood the "GW philosophy", you'd have recognized that prior to those last two or three defensive series we blitzed and sacked Eli for a huge loss. They scored 10 fuggin' points the entire game. We've only given up two TD's in the last 4 games. Bend but don't break has always worked for us when we've played "in position" on defense. It especially works when your qb doesn't turn the ball over multiple times in consecutive games late in the 4th quarter. It always works, and many...yes many...teams do the same exact thing with a two TD (essentially) or more lead. "ANY" other coach would have done the same thing knowing that if we needed to get pressure had they scored, we could have. Why risk an explosive play by gambling with a blitz when they're down by 12 points? It worked to perfection. Why not recognize that our offense has finally learned how to not turn the ball over and to run the clock out and win the game? This gameplan works every time, and it will continue to work if we play the same way that we have for the past two games. :2cents:

our problem all year has been our offense's failure to pick up 4th down conversions in the 4th quarter, it has had absolutely nothing to do with how we have played defense. (pats game aside).

the only coaching mistake that was made last night was going for 2. that is all any of us have a right to piss and moan about.

For all those people saying "The giants couldn't get out of their own way.." Thats total BS, just because they couldn't catch on the previous drive doesn't mean they couldn't put a drive or two together when it counted (or even get lucky, much like our win in Big D).. Just face it, Joe Gibbs doesn't have what it takes to coach in today's league, hes too soft..

Tell me, could you honestly see any other coach in the NFL doing the same?

This is the kind of BS posting on this board where people continue to twist coache's words etc. If you'd have watched the game or at least understood the "GW philosophy", you'd have recognized that prior to those last two or three defensive series we blitzed and sacked Eli for a huge loss. They scored 10 fuggin' points the entire game. We've only given up two TD's in the last 4 games. Bend but don't break has always worked for us when we've played "in position" on defense. It especially works when your qb doesn't turn the ball over multiple times in consecutive games late in the 4th quarter. It always works, and many...yes many...teams do the same exact thing with a two TD (essentially) or more lead. "ANY" other coach would have done the same thing knowing that if we needed to get pressure had they scored, we could have. Why risk an explosive play by gambling with a blitz when they're down by 12 points? It worked to perfection. Why not recognize that our offense has finally learned how to not turn the ball over and to run the clock out and win the game? This gameplan works every time, and it will continue to work if we play the same way that we have for the past two games. :2cents:

Many other teams use this philosphy, lol.:laugh: No teams blitz and blitz hard when there up because teams are more prone to turnovers in comeback situations. And they scored 10 fuggin points because of some timely drops. Yeah two TD to the explosive Chicago Bears, and the butterfinger Giants. I say stick with what got you the lead, don't let them drive it down the field on you and score.

Archived