Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Plane ticket pricing questions...

Coooleeey

Whats up people?

I'm pretty new to the whole flying around the country thing so I got some questions about a trip I'm looking to book. I'm looking at buying two round trip tickets to Albuquerque, NM (ABQ) as a Christmas gift to my girlfriend. Its one of the few places she hasn't been so it should be nice.

Leaving Wednesday Feb 13th from National (DCA) and flying home Monday Feb 18th anytime. Last week the price per ticket was $316 per person, when I checked yesterday it dropped to $306. This morning that flight through AA is booked and the new price for another flight through Continental is $357.

We are exchanging gifts on Dec 21st. Is there any reason to believe another flight won't pop up in that lower price range or have I learned a valuable lesson in striking when the iron is hot?

I usually use Kayak.com for ticket pricing. Priceline, Orbitz, Cheaptickets are all giving me the same price within a few dollars.

I'd stick to the Orbitz/Expedia/Travelocity/Cheaptickets of the world rather than going the bidding Pricline route...the routing and hours can get funky w/ that. I know Orbitz has a special love affair w/ majoy airports, so say, if you were flying out of Dulles instead of National, you might find get a better deal thru Orbitz than thru Expedia...just my experience...

they will always fluctuate, but as IM sure you know, the general rule is the longer you wait, the more you will have to pay.

around $300 sounds like a decent deal, I doubt they come any cheaper. Also, major airports will tend to be cheaper due to more traffic.

I'd stick to the Orbitz/Expedia/Travelocity/Cheaptickets of the world rather than going the bidding Pricline route...the routing and hours can get funky w/ that. I know Orbitz has a special love affair w/ majoy airports, so say, if you were flying out of Dulles instead of National, you might find get a better deal thru Orbitz than thru Expedia...just my experience...

Yeah I can save $10 or so to fly out of Dulles but its not worth it. I should have said that I'm pretty set on flying out of National since my girlfriend has free parking at her work in Crystal City which is one metro stop away from the airport.

they will always fluctuate, but as IM sure you know, the general rule is the longer you wait, the more you will have to pay.

around $300 sounds like a decent deal, I doubt they come any cheaper. Also, major airports will tend to be cheaper due to more traffic.

$300 was a decent deal and I'm worried it won't come back down to that in another weeks time. We got tickets to Vegas over Labor Day for $249 per person. This airport is international so it should have a decent amount of traffic.

I guess I will just be patient.

Whats up people?

I'm pretty new to the whole flying around the country thing so I got some questions about a trip I'm looking to book. I'm looking at buying two round trip tickets to Albuquerque, NM (ABQ) as a Christmas gift to my girlfriend. Its one of the few places she hasn't been so it should be nice.

Leaving Wednesday Feb 13th from National (DCA) and flying home Monday Feb 18th anytime. Last week the price per ticket was $316 per person, when I checked yesterday it dropped to $306. This morning that flight through AA is booked and the new price for another flight through Continental is $357.

We are exchanging gifts on Dec 21st. Is there any reason to believe another flight won't pop up in that lower price range or have I learned a valuable lesson in striking when the iron is hot?

I usually use Kayak.com for ticket pricing. Priceline, Orbitz, Cheaptickets are all giving me the same price within a few dollars.

Ironically enough, I am headed to ABQ in mid-March for USBC Nationals so this is good news.

I have found that the best deals can be found 10 weeks prior to your trip, give or take two weeks.

cheers

Whats up people?

Me living here in Albuquerque makes me want to ask why, out of all the places to fly to, would you want to come here? I mean it's a nice place and all, but I can think of a million other places to go. But if you 2 need any sugestions on what to do or where to go while you're here I'd be happy to point out some places to go.

We fly, at least a few times a year, so I'm no big travel expert, but I am a cheap ****.

I always fly non-stop, if at all possible, and will pay a little more for the convenience.

I've found that most of the airline sites themselves, have the best prices, and many of them guarantee the lowest price.

I guess Travelocity, Mobissimo, etc, are ok if your flexible with your dates, and have to fly weird hours, and switch airlines and stuff like that. I'm not saying that from personal experience, but from friends and family members who have availed themselves of those sites.

I don't know if it's changed, but Southwest does not allow their fares to be advertised on those discount travel sites and neither does Airtran,(I think)

When an airfare hits, that your comfortable with, then book it, as airfares flucuate wildly.

As a general rule of thumb, the longer out that you book, the better the fare.

Hope this helps!

Me living here in Albuquerque makes me want to ask why, out of all the places to fly to, would you want to come here? I mean it's a nice place and all, but I can think of a million other places to go. But if you 2 need any sugestions on what to do or where to go while you're here I'd be happy to point out some places to go.

Bwahahaha, I know right.

The reasoning is that she hasn't been there before. She has been to all the states but a handful through work and on family vacations growing up. My choices were Montana, Idaho, Both Dakotas, Alaska, or NM. So I said screw it I'll choose Santa Fe, I heard there are some artsy type places and some good food there. And you can go skiing, weather permitting.

So...is there anything good to do there in February? I figure that was a better place to go than Alaska in the dead of winter.

Bwahahaha, I know right.

The reasoning is that she hasn't been there before. She has been to all the states but a handful through work and on family vacations growing up. My choices were Montana, Idaho, Both Dakotas, Alaska, or NM. So I said screw it I'll choose Santa Fe, I heard there are some artsy type places and some good food there. And you can go skiing, weather permitting.

So...is there anything good to do there in February? I figure that was a better place to go than Alaska in the dead of winter.

Not as cold here as Alaska so I can understand that choice. Honestly, you need to go to Old Town when you're here. There are a couple of fantastic New Mexican restaurants down there. There's a ton of skiing down here too. One of the best places is Taos which is about an hour and a half drive from here. Of course there is Santa Fe but me being from here I don't see what's so special about that place. Oh yeah, on another food note, no matter what ANYONE tells you, do not go to Garduno's. There is much better New Mexican food here for alot cheaper. Anything else you wanna know just hit me up.

Not as cold here as Alaska so I can understand that choice. Honestly, you need to go to Old Town when you're here. There are a couple of fantastic New Mexican restaurants down there. There's a ton of skiing down here too. One of the best places is Taos which is about an hour and a half drive from here. Of course there is Santa Fe but me being from here I don't see what's so special about that place. Oh yeah, on another food note, no matter what ANYONE tells you, do not go to Garduno's. There is much better New Mexican food here for alot cheaper. Anything else you wanna know just hit me up.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

So there is some skiiing right there in Santa Fe then? Its hard to figure out the ins and outs and distances from where I'll be staying.

Let me get some more info on the place I can stay. My parents have the whole timeshare thing so I have a place in Santa Fe for 5 nights for free through them.

Well, the price has gone down from $357 to $348 for an AA flight with about the same timeframe. So I'm going to go ahead and wait for it to get around $300 again then pull the trigger.

I'm thinking of joining the AAdvantage thing they have for $129 and get $100 off per person on your first flights. It would save me a little cash but also may help for a trip to the midwest sometime this summer. Anyone have any experience with that?

Its not like your gas tank only holds 30 miles. BWI parking is relaitively cheap and about $7 per day

Still not worth it. We are one metro stop away from National, it just doesn't make sense to drive all that way and pay for parking when we have free parking in Crystal City.

I'm not trying to seem stubborn about it, but by the time its all said and done I don't feel its worth it to save $50 or $100 and have to drive all that way.

Archived