Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Name One Time (ever) Where The 2 Timeout Infraction was Enforced

radagast5

I'm probably in the slightest minority that I knew you can't call 2 consecutive AND knew it was 15 yards. I looked at my mom and said, "we can't do that, it's 15 yards. Game over." And yes, I'm being truthful. The 15 yards has only been around for 2 years so I don't think anyone has actually been penalized for it until us. It's not something that happens every week.

Sure, I have no problem believing a handful of hardcore NFL fans would take time to read such material. But I'd ask you, do you really think the overwhelming majority of the fans claiming to know the full rule (that it was a 15-yard penalty and only in this instance) really took time to read that literature?

I don't. And that's my point: most of this is a Straw Man argument.

Dude, just because you didn't know doesn't mean other people didn't. Stop trying to defend Gibbs over this. I saw an interview of Joe Gibbs a couple years ago when he clearly stated that he had been brushing up on his rulebook and said something to the effect that there was a way to get an extra timeout when you didn't have any timetous remaining. He said that by calling timeout (even when you were out of timeouts) you could get the ref to stop the clock and be penalized 5 yards but at least it would give you a chance to stop the clock in an emergency to get your offense ready. Then he said that many people were not aware of that loop. This clearly tells me he was brushing up on the rules regarding timeouts yet he was clueless when it counted or maybe he was just crapping his pants as usual at the end of tight games.

This is my favorite

Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)

When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.) I long for the day when this one gets called.

Now I don't agree with a lot of the rules but that might be a different thread. For instance the snap simulation penalty occurs when a player who is eligable to go in motion abruptly moves up or forward to simulate a motion. I don't see how this is any different than a hard count. I like to call it the Tight End's Hard Count. :)

The old Woody Hayes rule.

This is my favorite

Touchdown Awarded (Palpably Unfair Act)

When Referee determines a palpably unfair act deprived a team of a touchdown. (Example: Player comes off bench and tackles runner apparently en route to touchdown.) I long for the day when this one gets called.

Now I don't agree with a lot of the rules but that might be a different thread. For instance the snap simulation penalty occurs when a player who is eligable to go in motion abruptly moves up or forward to simulate a motion. I don't see how this is any different than a hard count. I like to call it the Tight End's Hard Count. :)

Bill Cowher nearly committed that penalty a few years ago.

I can't remember when, but I think it was either Jacksonville or Tennessee. Anyway, it was late in the game and the Steelers were down but were driving for a game winning TD. And one of their awful QBs (probably Kordell Stewart) threw an interception that was returned for a TD.

On the replay, you can see the player running down the sidelines and Cowher taking a step and half towards him with his shoulders square. He pulled back, but you could tell that he wanted to dive at the guy.

I will say this: If Bill Cowher had tackled a player during a game, it would have been the greatest moment in the history of the NFL.

Yeah I think that they changed the rule after 2003. If I remember correctly, during a playoff game it the Jets against the Steelers and the Steelers called like all their timeouts to ice the kicker and it worked. So to my knowledge, since the rule has been instituted no coach has been called for it that I know of.

Bill Cowher nearly committed that penalty a few years ago.

I can't remember when' date=' but I think it was either Jacksonville or Tennessee. Anyway, it was late in the game and the Steelers were down but were driving for a game winning TD. And one of their awful QBs (probably Kordell Stewart) threw an interception that was returned for a TD.

On the replay, you can see the player running down the sidelines and Cowher taking a step and half towards him with his shoulders square. He pulled back, but you could tell that he wanted to dive at the guy.

I will say this: If Bill Cowher had tackled a player during a game, it would have been the greatest moment in the history of the NFL.[/quote']

i think he actually did this in college in memory serves me correct.

Show of hands here. If I had asked you two months ago what the penalty (if any) was for attempting to call a second consecutive time out, how many of you would have known it was a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

Honestly: I DID know it was a penalty, but i thought it was a delay of game penalty. 5 yarder. But 5 yards closer would have killed us too. Considering he made the original kick.

Jerry Markbreit's answers

Have a question about the rules of football? Our expert, former NFL referee Jerry Markbreit, will have the answer.

January 5, 2005, 3:12 PM CST

In the Colts-Broncos game, Mike Shanahan was arguing for the Colts to get a penalty for attempting to call two successive timeouts. What is the rule for how timeouts may be taken? And, how different are the college timeout rules? --Butch Brzeski, Chicago

Under NFL rules, the same team cannot call consecutive timeouts. If the officials incorrectly acknowledge the consecutive timeout, the clock is immediately started and the timeout negated. There is no penalty for this act, unless the purpose of the second timeout is to startle and cause a false start by the offensive team. In this situation, an unsportsmanlike conduct foul could be called on the defensive team. Under college rules, consecutive team timeouts are legal, and a team could call all of the team timeouts in succession

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-050105jerrymarkbreitsanswers,1,5838515.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-headlines

Looks like the official should have just told him no you can't call one. Instead he stopped play and stuck us with a penalty.

everybody who plays Madden knows you can't call back to back timeouts

OKAY, but if you don't have Madden - and don't want Madden, then what? I didn't know about the rule. They do it all the time in College ball - it was a very simple mistake that got blown way - - - way - - - out of reason. I blame the media for expounding on this to get everyone excited and terrorizing Gibbs.:2cents:

Jerry Markbreit's answers

Have a question about the rules of football? Our expert, former NFL referee Jerry Markbreit, will have the answer.

January 5, 2005, 3:12 PM CST

In the Colts-Broncos game, Mike Shanahan was arguing for the Colts to get a penalty for attempting to call two successive timeouts. What is the rule for how timeouts may be taken? And, how different are the college timeout rules? --Butch Brzeski, Chicago

Under NFL rules, the same team cannot call consecutive timeouts. If the officials incorrectly acknowledge the consecutive timeout, the clock is immediately started and the timeout negated. There is no penalty for this act, unless the purpose of the second timeout is to startle and cause a false start by the offensive team. In this situation, an unsportsmanlike conduct foul could be called on the defensive team. Under college rules, consecutive team timeouts are legal, and a team could call all of the team timeouts in succession

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-050105jerrymarkbreitsanswers,1,5838515.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-headlines

Looks like the official should have just told him no you can't call one. Instead he stopped play and stuck us with a penalty.

Another "user-friendly" ref assisting a team and Coach in mourning:doh:

Well, not sure if you all saw this little blurb in JLC's Blog, but apparently there are a lot of coaches out there who don't know the rules per Johnny Grier ;)

Link

Posted at 7:39 PM ET, 12/ 6/2007

Follow Up On Timeout-Gate

Johnny Grier, longtime NFL official who now works for the league in an off-field capacity, as an officiating supervisor, is usually in the pressbox for home games. I asked him if it was commonplace for NFL coaches to ask officials about an interpretation of a rule, and he said "it happens all the time."

Grier, an official for 23 years and one of the best ever, said that he was often asked by coaches if it was permissible for them to do certain things, or if there were penalties involved, and Grier said he always felt it was his duty to answer them accurately. "You want to make sure they know the rule," he said.

Coach Joe Gibbs said he asked an official if it was okay to call a second straight timeout in Sunday's loss, and Gibbs says he told it was in fact okay. Mike Pereira, head of NFL officials, said on HBO's "Inside the NFL" said that in the report he received from the officials in Sunday's game, that there was some question as to what precisely Gibbs asked the official.

As Gibbs said this week, in the end the onus is on him to have command of the rulebook. Grier said that if Gibbs had asked him the question that Joe says he asked the official Sunday - "If it was okay to call a timeout," at that time, he would have informed him that there was a 15-yard penalty involved.

Not sure that any of this means anything, but I grew up watching Johnny Grier call games and I respect his opinion and figured it was worth passing alone.

You made a fundamental mistake in your post. You asked for someone to provide you with an instance where the rule was enforced. You NEVER asked for someone to provide you with an instance where a Coach ever called 2 timeouts! I have never actually heard of this happening before. Ive never heard of a coach calling back to back timeouts.

So basically, your whole point is moot. A rule is a rule, do you really think its fair to the Bills not to enforce a rule? If you dont want it enforced, why make it a rule? I know I knew it was a rule, I said that the moment they called it, "They cant do that...". Is that the reason we lost the game? No, he would have made it anyway from 51. What cost us the game is instead of trying to put the game away and get first downs and TD's, we tried to just run as much time off the clock before we punted it back to them.

Archived