Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Name One Time (ever) Where The 2 Timeout Infraction was Enforced

radagast5

In all of the whine-fests about Gibbs not knowing the 2 timeout rule, everyone seems to claim that they already knew that rule, that it was a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

So, I'm thinking, how does everyone know this when not once, ever (ever!) in 30 years of watching NFL football have I seen this rule enforced for 15 yards?

Can anyone name me a single instance throughout the history of the NFL where they saw this rule enforced?

In all of the whine-fests about Gibbs not knowing the 2 timeout rule, everyone seems to claim that they already knew that rule, that it was a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty.

So, I'm thinking, how does everyone know this when not once, ever (ever!) in 30 years of watching NFL football have I seen this rule enforced for 15 yards?

Can anyone name me a single instance throughout the history of the NFL where they saw this rule enforced?

It's a fairly recent rule.

are you intimating that the call shouldn't have been made? I never knew the rule, but I am not an NFL head coach. It's a simple call and the ref had no choice but to enforce the rule....

I can not imagine a situation in a game that a prepared professional team would require the use of a 2nd consecutive time out. They train for months and years to get formations and players on the field under 30 seconds I do not think there was any football related play calling reason to take a second time out.

The man called a second time out to see if it would rain harder. This freezing the kicker FAD cost us a game (Maybe):doh:

are you intimating that the call shouldn't have been made? I never knew the rule, but I am not an NFL head coach. It's a simple call and the ref had no choice but to enforce the rule....

No, no. I'm not intimating that the call was wrong.

I'm asserting that 99% of the people who said they knew it was a 15-yard penalty are full of crap. So, I asked for someone to provide me an example of the infraction being enforced.

It's a fairly recent rule.

--Seattle head coach Mike Holmgren is a member of the competition committee that issued the point of emphasis regarding defensive illegal contact that was arguably aimed at the Patriots in the wake of last year's AFC Championship Game. But that committee recently changed a rule two weeks into the season' date=' one the Patriots just happened to use to their advantage in their first two games against Indy and Arizona. The change makes it a 15-yard penalty to call consecutive timeouts to distract an opposing player as New England did to throw off Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers and Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt . Previously, officials ignored the second timeout signal and did not award the stoppage in play. But since not every player in the league is familiar with the rules, the Patriots used the back-to-back timeout ploy to distract opposing field goal units.

[/quote']

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?threadid=7619

:logo: 21:logo:

I saw an interview with Ditka a couple days ago. He said that when he was HC of the Bears, he asked the Ref if he could call back to back TOs and was told that it was a 15 yard penalty. So, I guess it's not impossible for a HC to not know this. Clearly, Ditka did not know until he asked. However, it seems like you really should know this rule. I guess it's just one of those things. I mean, as a HC, there are like 10 thousand different things running thru your head at any given time. I guess you just lose track sometimes. Probably not what anybody wants to hear but probably true.

my wife knew the rule, but ironically, she has no clue what a first down is.

Show of hands here. If I had asked you two months ago what the penalty (if any) was for attempting to call a second consecutive time out, how many of you would have known it was a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

I knew the rule. I didn't know that it was a 15 yarder until last Sunday, though.

That's true of me as well. I have seen games were someone tried to call two timeouts back to back, but the ref would just tell the coach you can't do that....and they'd go on with the play (which is what I'd thought would happen) had no idea it was a 15 yarder. Still with all the talk about Joe who is to say the kicker would not have nailed the kick AGAIN....Like the Cowboys did against this same Buffalo team. I say that it's the defenses responibility not to give up a 30 yard pass play against a rookie QB with 20 seconds and no timeouts in the game. The call is secondary it you STOP THEM like you are suppose to do....

Then we won't even go into the three times we were inside the 5 and had to settle for FG's. Not to mention the first time we were going for it on 4th and 1 and the OL false started. So blame Gibbs if you want but there were several other ways the Bills would not have been close if we would have executed throughout the game.

Gibbs can't keep up. It's really quite simple. If it's not one thing one week it's another the next. I know a lot of people love him like a father figure, and that's why it can be tough to admit that he's getting too slow. But it's the truth and ****ing about refs and rules isn't going to fix the problem.

Show of hands here. If I had asked you two months ago what the penalty (if any) was for attempting to call a second consecutive time out, how many of you would have known it was a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty?

It's pretty much considered cheating. You are basically stopping the clock when you do no longer have the ability to do so. That is why it is unsportsmanlike conduct.

The change makes it a 15-yard penalty to call consecutive timeouts to distract an opposing player as New England did to throw off Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers and Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt . Previously, officials ignored the second timeout signal and did not award the stoppage in play. But since not every player in the league is familiar with the rules, the Patriots used the back-to-back timeout ploy to distract opposing field goal units.

:logo: 21:logo:

This is exactly what I thought. If you tried to call a second timeout, it simply wasn't awarded. Only recently did the request become an infraction. And I'll bet 99% of the people out there who claimed to know this was a rule, didn't know the 15-yard penalty part at all.

More to the point, it is NOT an infraction to call consecutive timeouts, unless its express purpose is to distract the opponent.

Lastly, it's a stupid rule (no excuse for Gibbs not knowing it). If a kicker can't handle being forced to think about a high-pressure kick for three minutes, he can go bag groceries.

It's pretty much considered cheating. You are basically stopping the clock when you do no longer have the ability to do so. That is why it is unsportsmanlike conduct.

In basketball it would be a technical foul.

The Redskins *did* have the timeout to use. That's the difference.

Archived