Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I know Sean can't be replaced but check out these F/A D-linemen,(M.E.T.)

xX2PORTIS6Xx

Just please, please, please no players from the University of Miami. I am sick to death of that rathole and can't take the emotional roller-coaster and heartache its players bring to a team.

Chris Long would be the perfect kind of player this team needs. Unfortunately, we won't get him because he will go too high. Sedrick Ellis probably is in the same situation: great fit, probably too high.

Gosder Cherilus at OT would be a good pick for us. Derrick Harvey for a pressure guy at DE would also be a good pick for us.

Personally I'd side with the Redskins M.O. history of getting veterans for our needs on the D line. A rookie DL is likely not going to help much and I doubt we use a first day pick on one regardless per Vinny's history.

He likes 'skill' position guys and not the grunts so to speak. If we can pull it, then Jared Allen is far and away the best DE available. He's solid against the run and can rush the passer. He would instantly make the D line very much for the better.

Under Gibbs 2, I think we've done good with FA's: Griffin, Carter, Washington, Springs, Rabach. Yeah Archuleta is a bust but I don't expect perfection out of anybody.

Where we screwed up IMO are trading draft picks and letting our good young players go.

My thought has always been if you are going to sign all these FA's shouldn't that preclude having to trade draft picks as opposed to encourage it?

You can have your cake and eat it too in a way but the Redskins for some odd reason choose not to -- they sign Fa's and dump their draft picks too in trades.

Lets sign some marquee Fa's (we've really not been bad in this department) AND keep our draft picks, too. It doesn't have to be either or..the fact that the Skins don't draft has nothing to do with free agency but has everything to do with trades, many of which were dumb trades or ones where they overpaid.

See you gotta realize we also lose draft picks because we trade up, which we've done well at in terms of picking but I think in some cases, we traded up too high (better safe than sorry?)

Examples: Jason Campbell, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Cooley I know we got from NO's draft pick, I dont know if it was cause we moved up...

I doubt that we would be a major player with any of these guys. Really, we probably aren't going to have that much room under the cap to be signing these guys. Not to mention that there is a high bust chance with high priced D-linemen who are left available.

I have a feeling that next year will mostly be a draft year, picking up some young talent to eventually take over for our aging veterans.

it is so funny how most people here ***** because were living in the FA market and want to save our draft picks but yet somehow trends get started all the time as too which FA should we pick up. Lets try to stay on one side of the fence if you will.

That's because:

1) We overpay FA's

2) We spend big bucks on positions where talent is easy to find (ie RB, WR, S)

i think Bryant Johnson 6'3" WR out of ARZ. is the only solid and REALISTIC pickup for us (maybe foxworth CB Denver). i definitely don't want to waste a top 3 round pick on a WR. i think we should go DL, CB, OL in the first round, and truthfully in any order and best player available. if we do that and add a couple of late round WR and TE and line depth we should be fine.

I doubt that we would be a major player with any of these guys. Really, we probably aren't going to have that much room under the cap to be signing these guys. Not to mention that there is a high bust chance with high priced D-linemen who are left available.

I have a feeling that next year will mostly be a draft year, picking up some young talent to eventually take over for our aging veterans.

Didn't you say that there is a high bust potential for linemen in the first round of the draft as well?

Should we just never acquire defensive linemen outside of the second day of the draft?

Didn't you say that there is a high bust potential for linemen in the first round of the draft as well?

Should we just never acquire defensive linemen outside of the second day of the draft?

I don't know if I did say that. One thing I know from last year that I did say was that there weren't any Julius Peppers-type of linemen up there. Just about everyone had a big negative, and when you pick that high, you try to find the best player for your team, period.

One thing I do know is that the top DL don't usually come available in FA, so you either have to draft them, or trade for them.

Jason

Archived