Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your thoughts on Landry so far?

errr...the game sealing hit on Kevin Curtis against the Eagles...

I think he's been solid, especially as a rookie. The problem that he now faces is that people will look for him to be the next Sean Taylor on this team, and that's just not going to be the case and never was. He'll have to walk in that shadow for awhile though before he really makes his own namesake, which he will in time.

Beat me to the Eagles game reference. :)

I agree, he's not a bust, he just hasn't been spectacular. Kind of a gut feeling, but it seems that while he hasn't been the playmaker that ST was his rookie year, he seems to be more mistake free. Can't really prove that, just my impression.

I think especially now there are going to be some unfair expectations of Landry. People are going to want him to be Sean Taylor when in reality he isn't even teh same type of player. The only player I could compare Sean to was Ed Reed, MAYBE Troy Polamolu if Troy is having a great day. He was just all over the place and had freakish range. Landry is a solid safety. You don't see him making the rookie mistakes Sean did, but you aren't seeing the eye opening "potential" type plays. Landry is the kind of kid that can hold down the SS spot for 10 years. I don't think he's going to be making a lot of Pro Bowls because he isn't as flashy but he is a difference maker.

So to answer the question, I'm pleased with Landry. He is further along than you could ask for in a rookie and he has greatly solidified our secondary. Good pick.

Well...

He is a rookie...

I said that because many post in this thread say that he DOESN'T play like a rookie.

I disagree with them.

Since you so smartly pointed out that he is a rookie. Do you think Calvin Johnson plays like a rookie? Running bad routes or dropping a ton of balls. Because to me he's an example of someone who plays beyond his time in this league. Unlike Landry. Who takes bad angles sometimes and misses too many tackles.

He doesn't play like a rookie but he hasn't done anything special either. Hasn't had the same impact ST had his rookie year. Then again, not many rookie Safeties will =(

Well you have to remember Williams let Taylor cover a lot his rookie year and was playing the middle of the field like he should have.Now Landry is being used a lot as a run stopper and pass rusher.I say put Landry in Taylor position and he will start making big plays.When Landry was coming out last year a lot of people said he could cover better than Taylor.Now that might not be true,but he can cover when given a chance.I think Landry is going to be our new defensive leader before it is all said and done.I would much rather have Taylor back there,but it's not going to happen.It still makes me want to cry,but I believe Landry could be hell of a FS back there.

I said that because many post in this thread say that he DOESN'T play like a rookie.

I disagree with them.

Since you so smartly pointed out that he is a rookie. Do you think Calvin Johnson plays like a rookie? Running bad routes or dropping a ton of balls. Because to me he's an example of someone who plays beyond his time in this league. Unlike Landry. Who takes bad angles sometimes and misses too many tackles.

Rookie or not everyone misses tackles and takes bad angles.Taylor had a bad year last year and he lead the league in missed tackles and TDs given up.Yes I know it was only one year and Taylor would have been one of the best, if not the best period at his position, but he still made mistakes.I saw Reed get beat last night and he also took a bad angel.Not to mention that stupid fumble of his and I consider him one of the better safety's in the league.

Rookie or not everyone misses tackles and takes bad angles.Taylor had a bad year last year and he lead the league in missed tackles and TDs given up.Yes I know it was only one year and Taylor would have been one of the best, if not the best period at his position, but he still made mistakes.I saw Reed get beat last night and he also took a bad angel.Not to mention that stupid fumble of his and I consider him one of the better safety's in the league.

Maybe you didn't read my original post........Where I said........

"I like Landry. But he looks like a rookie to me. He misses too many tackles, but you can see there's potential there."

He's been okay for a rookie, but certainly nothing spectacular. Made some rookie mistakes especially blowing coverage a few times and not getting to the QB on the blitz.

Hopefully next year he will play better and prove why we took him with the 6th pick overall and why we chose not to take Adrian Peterson.

Maybe you didn't read my original post........Where I said........

"I like Landry. But he looks like a rookie to me. He misses too many tackles, but you can see there's potential there."

No I was just saying that everyone makes mistakes and I say you said you like Landry.I'm just saying Williams needs to give Landry the trust that he gave Taylor.Landry is going to have to run this defense I think that is.I say move him to FS he is a good covering safety and our season is over.So lets give him the chance to learn the position.

He's been okay for a rookie, but certainly nothing spectacular. Made some rookie mistakes especially blowing coverage a few times and not getting to the QB on the blitz.

Hopefully next year he will play better and prove why we took him with the 6th pick overall and why we chose not to take Adrian Peterson.

Why would we take Peterson we still have Portis.I know Peterson is probably better and might end up smashing records.With that being said why don't you look hard at most of his runs.His o-line takes care of the d-line and some of the L-backers.If you watch Peterson he is putting all those sick moves on the opposing teams secondary.If we could get Portis to the secondary things would be different.

We choose not to take Peterson cause we had Portis and another back that just signed in extension in Betts lets be realistic here. And as for Landry he can do many of things Sean did maybe with a little better cover skills and a little less knock you out hits. He to me has had a better rookie season then Sean did just for the simple fact he doesnt make many mistakes. And I havent seen him miss many tackles all year.

He to me has had a better rookie season then Sean did just for the simple fact he doesnt make many mistakes. And I havent seen him miss many tackles all year.

Sorry, but Landry's rookie season is nowhere near as good as Sean's. Sean made so many impact plays as a rookie, and had much more of an immediate impact on our D. Not to say that Landry is not good, but he is nowhere near the Safety Sean was.

He's a different player than Sean. He's not as good as a ballhawk, but he's been more consistent by far on blitzes.

He makes silly rookie mistakes, but I think he's been pretty much everything the team hoped he'd be when they drafted him.

No I was just saying that everyone makes mistakes and I say you said you like Landry.I'm just saying Williams needs to give Landry the trust that he gave Taylor.Landry is going to have to run this defense I think that is.I say move him to FS he is a good covering safety and our season is over.So lets give him the chance to learn the position.

There's no doubt in my mind he will be really good. He just needs more time. That's why I said he plays like a rookie to me. I was one of the biggest supporters of picking him instead of a d-lineman where we did.

Come on, some of you need to chill out on drafting Peterson. SS was a gaping huge hole on our defense. We had CP and then betts who had a very good year.

Peterson has a monster offensive line. I'd like to see him put up numbers like that with our putrid ones. Is he better than CP? yes. But we already have way way way too much money invested in the RB position and the last thing we need is an injury prone runningback.

For all the hype that Landry received coming out of the draft, I can't imagine how we can be satisfied. You expect a top pick to come in and make some amazing plays due to their physical gifts. I've seen a handful of good plays by Landry, but not the impact plays (read: turnovers) that I was hoping for.

He is remarkably solid for the most part, and for a rookie, you have to be happy with that. But let's not forget how highly touted this guy was coming out of college. ST was, what, the 5th pick? Landry was the 6th pick? Landry was compared to the likes of Polamalu and Dawkins, so I want to see more INTs and FFs.

Solid rookie year. I'm sure he'll develop into quite a keeper, but he's not there yet.

Btw, the Adrian Peterson talk is garbage. Yes, the guy is a beast... for now. RBs have such short shelf lives. How many years does a RB stay on the top?

Faulk had a good run. He put up huge numbers for a few years, but then injuries derailed his career.

Holmes had a few monster seasons, then an injury derailed his career.

Shawn Alexander was the league MVP a few years ago, now he is booed every time he touches the ball (at home).

Larry Johnson and LT are both struggling this year.

Whether it be due to injury or some other reason, history says Adrian Peterson won't be the best back in the NFL in a few seasons. Add to this that he has always had injury concerns (including this year) and that we have Portis and Betts and I don't know how people can cry over this guy.

Also, that offensive line in Minn is no joke. They have spent millions and high draft picks creating a very good offensive line. Chester Taylor is putting up good numbers as well. If AP was here, he wouldn't be close to putting up the numbers he has put up thus far.

Anyone who thinks Landry is another Roy Williams has no idea what they're talking about. Williams is a big hitter and a BIG LIABILITY in coverage, Landy is a Big Hitter and as Solid a coverage safety as you can find. He can play both positions and if you stop and think all of you who say he has had no impact on our games, 1. he won the Eagles game for us (almost did earlier in the drive when the int was just out of his reach) and 2. If you haven't noticed him it's because he plays like a vet he started from the day he was drafted in a Greg Williams defense, even ST didn't do that, and he has made no Large mistakes. The only things he has done is allow a TD to LJ Smith and got a couple of personal foul penaltys in the Jets game. He is an awesome player and will be a force for years to come.

I watched him play for 4 years at LSU and never give up a TD so I would say that if 12 games into his NFL career he hasn't knocked your socks off then you are looking too hard.

Taylor was given the freedom to make those "eye opening" plays from free safety as a rookie

Landry has been asked to play the run all year. How "eye opening" is it to tackle the running back after a 2 yard gain? repeatedly....

Landry, IMO has had a better rookie year than Taylor. For every spectacular play Taylor made as a rookie, he made 3 or 4 mistakes, costing us big time in games. Landry hasn't made ONE of those kind of mistakes. Give the kid a break. He was drafted #6 and has played almost every snap this year on defense without being embarrased once. Not even many 1st rounders of all time can say that. He has been awesome this year. And has contributed right away... in the Eagles win.

I know he played a lot of coverage at LSU against some great athletes. He can do it. I think he can become one of the best free safetys in the league with time. Isn't his "not burned for a TD" streak still going since high school? I heard he wasn't beaten for a TD throughout his entire 4 years of college. I love this kid. Give him some time. He's already in the top half of safety's in the NFL.

I disagree with them.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the tackling, but...

-dude is the fourth leading tackler among all rookies

-he's the second leader tackler of all defensive backs

-and he's tied for 31st in the league in tackles

If he fixes his 'tackling problems' then he may end up being the league's leading tackler.

Archived