Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your thoughts on Landry so far?

Not highly impressed, no. When I think of All Day Peterson as being someone we could have had, I get depressed.

At least Taylor was worth a top 5 pick because of not only his 'measurables' but his uncanny ability to track down balls anywhere and cover elite wide receivers.

Not highly impressed, no. When I think of All Day Peterson as being someone we could have had, I get depressed.

At least Taylor was worth a top 5 pick because of not only his 'measurables' but his uncanny ability to track down balls anywhere and cover elite wide receivers.

Because drafting AP would have been a good move? :doh: Come on people.

Sean Taylor took a long time to develop in this league and was just starting to become a star. He missed a ton of tackles early on in his career and was beat in coverage quite often. How quickly people forget.

I think Landry has actually been more solid through the first 12 games of his career than Taylor was. Does he have more upside than Taylor? No. Does he make the highlight reel hits like Taylor? No. Will he be an All-Pro like Taylor? I think he will. Give him some time guys....he is still a rookie.

He is now our hardest hitter on defense. He just lost his mentor to a horrific tragedy, I think we can cut him a little slack. I think he has been on par for an early first round pick. He had been asked to play in the box because ST could cover the middle of the field. Well, now I think we will see him transform into more of a free safety. He DOES have the speed, he can hit pretty damn hard, and coming out of college he was graded pretty well for his coverage skills. We will know more after next season, but I'm not down about him at all so far.

Come on now guys, he was playing the role as SS and 5th LB basically, how does any1 know he sucks in coverage? Cause a couple bad plays in the passing game? Everybody makes mistakes and for being a rookie he hasn't made ne mistakes to cost us a td or nething big, here and there he may of blown an assignment but he's a rookie. I've seen him bat down much more balls and hit many QBs were it takes them a couple minutes to get up, then seeing him get burnt in coverage. People have short term memory, he has made more highlights then bad plays by far. Now I think with this tragedy they are goin to move Landry back to his natural position IMO of Free safety and let him play center field like they were letting ST do. Give him time he has been a solid piece and will be a star n this leaugue

O yea and I forgot to mention I have never seen any body that can blitz like him. He hides it well and picks the best spot everytime and never gets touched while blowing up the QB, with time he will be 1 of the best all around safetys in the league. Just remember this was Taylors 4th season RIP and he was finally having a breakout year. How old is Landry anyways 22?

don't forget people, a lot of taylors success this year was attributed to landry. i don't think he will ever be sean taylor either, but in a way, he allowed sean taylor to be sean taylor. he's playin within the system and doing his job. if he does this for the rest of his career, i'll be satisfied. it would mean that he wasn't worth a 6th pick, but it wouldn't mean that he's not a good football player.

not impressed....has he changed the outcome of a game this year? He's solid. I'm just sayin'....with all the hype....
remember that hit he made in the philly game? he completely seperated the ball from the receiver, they even made a commercial out of it, that was his signature hit, lets not talk about how many big hits he made in the dolphins game, i've been sold on landry since college, i just think with ST RIP we had the best 2 safties for the rest of their careers. P.S. its going to be difficult to recreate the cover 3 scheme (3 DBs with 1 SS in the box) which was the BEST base defense greg williams ever implimented. it allowed Landy to play close to the line and blitz from anywhere as a true SS (a la blitzing QBs making them pay K Collins in preseason, K Klemens didnt want it either), he may be asked to play more FS which means someone else has to be in the box or he will be asked to rotate both positions which is kinda early in his career to take on all those assignments.

Landry has been awesome so far.

A safety shouldn't have his name called throughout the game, Sean Taylor did because he was beyond exceptional at the position. Like him or not, Roy Williams gets his name called because he's a playmaker (average at best in coverage, but the guy makes plays), Polamalu and Sanders are also play makers.

Landry is a SOLID safety. He does his job and he does it well. We don't need him trying to cover the whole field like we expected ST to do last year, we all saw what happened when we only had one guy contributing on defense.

Landry is a tremendous blitzing safety, decent in coverage and above average in run support. He knows the game and is extremely smart. For a rookie, that's all pretty damn good.

Listen, Landry has been GREAT for a rookie. It takes a long time and many starts to truly learn the safety position in this league. He is ahead of the curve. I am happy with Laron Landry's first 12 games of his career and think he will be a pro-bowl safety. Truth is, Offenses are going after the other safety now that Taylor is gone.

Landry's cover skills need to improve. The problem is that he is NEEDED in coverage because of the injuries/losses in the secondary. Gregg Williams is patching together game plans at the moment with a decimated secondary.

I think Landry's biggest problem is simply the fact that he played for the most part of the season on the same field as someone who was emerging as the best saftey in the league. More so than that, said saftey has now tragically passed away, which means unfortunantly for Landry either consiously, or subconsiously, most Redskins fans are going to be comparing him to Taylor.

He's had a very good rookie year. Has made some key stops, very few rookie mistakes, and is already turning into a heck of a blitzer when they let him do it. No, he's not on a Sean Taylor/Roy Williams/Ed Reed type level but he's still probably in the upper half of saftey's in the league right now and he's simply a rookie.

Given time, and a good defense, I think he's going to shine and be a stud. I just think that because of the circumstances of this year, he may never really get the honest credit for it.

Landry's going to be a scary good safety guys. He just needs a little time and he has already made some huge plays. Against Philly on monday night, he made the big hit to seal the victory and he was huge in the Jets game. I doubt he'll be ST, but no one will. We have to look at him for what he is though. Give him time and you'll be happy, as long as you're not expecting another ST.

Thank you. Everybody is talking negative about him, sad.

I see a lot of potential in LaRon, I think he could become a very solid safety. No one will be Sean, we've established that.

I agree with those who don't think Landry is a safety to build a defense around like Sean, but if Gregg Williams changes his defensive scheme a little (like he HAS to now) and comes up with a PASS RUSH for God's sake, I think LaRon can be a SOLID NFL safety for years.

His time is here... maybe a little sooner than people were anticipating... but I think the best is coming for LaRon and all-in-all I've been more than satisfied with his play so far.

Landry isn't the talent that Taylor was.

I think Landry is a Roy Williams clone except he hasn't had the impact yet that Williams had as a rookie for Dallas.

I think Landry can be a good player but nobody should expect him to approach becoming as good or having anywhere near the impact that Taylor did.

Two different players.

As for this season, he's been okay. Nothing special.

agree except last statment. he makes his tackles had a good game against bills Week 13 stats: eight tackles

In no way is it fair to judge Landry's performance on that of Sean Taylor's. For one Sean was a really special type of athelete that no one on that side of the ball can compare to. I think Landry has done a great job so far and I expect he will become one of the best SS in the league.

With Landry playing so well, I would hate to break up the secondary. So my question is does springs go? No one has addressed this lately. He has been healthy and playing good football. Sure we have two starters with Rogers and Smoot, but there is a huge drop off after that. If we let him go, we would have to pick up another stud CB either through the draft or FA. I say keep him, and let our secondary grow together. Landry is coming along just fine

Because drafting AP would have been a good move? :doh: Come on people.

Sean Taylor took a long time to develop in this league and was just starting to become a star. He missed a ton of tackles early on in his career and was beat in coverage quite often. How quickly people forget.

I think Landry has actually been more solid through the first 12 games of his career than Taylor was. Does he have more upside than Taylor? No. Does he make the highlight reel hits like Taylor? No. Will he be an All-Pro like Taylor? I think he will. Give him some time guys....he is still a rookie.

i agree taylor got burned pretty bad as a rookie, but he would make it up with spectular plays.

Landry has been solid doesnt make mistakes and doesnt give up big plays.

It's easy to say he hasn't had many impact plays, but I think it's more a function of Williams consistently playing the safeties 30 yards back. When he does blitz and play near the line, I think he does a good job. He definitely needs to improve his coverage skills, but that's true of any rookie. ST wasn't a great cover guy when he first got here, but he grew into it. I won't lie and say I don't wish we'd taken Adrian Peterson instead, but I think he'll be great next year.

From watching TV: I think Landry should gain some weight or something during the offseason. He throws his body out there to lay hits like GW likes. Howerver, I've seen a couple times he's just bounced off the person he's hitting. He needs a bit more size for those hits.

From being at the game and paying attention to him: The guy is FAST. When he drops back, and it's a running play, boom he's there at almost every tackle, even the ones for no gain. Blitzing, it looked like he's hard to pickup. Great tackling instincts.

Laron Landry is Laron Landry. He appears to be an amazing athlete and have great vision, what you want in either saftey position. I believe he was a great pick, and I love the fact he's wearing the burgundy and gold. I'd wear a #30 jersey.

Archived