Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your thoughts on Landry so far?

I really like Landry and Rocky Mcintosh! These 2 are my favorite players on the team now that St isn't there. The only problem Roger has in his game is coverage on the TE's. Once he gets better at that he will become a Pro Bowl Lb for sure. For Landry he is just getting started plus he is not playing his natural position in the pros so he has to adapt to his new spot but he is progressing just fine and will be a impact player soon enough!

not impressed....has he changed the outcome of a game this year? He's solid. I'm just sayin'....with all the hype....

what about that first Philly game on Monday night football where he stopped Kevin Curtis short of the endzone to prevent the comeback. Jus sayin...

what about that first Philly game on Monday night football where he stopped Kevin Curtis short of the endzone to prevent the comeback. Jus sayin...

or how about making barbar run out of bounds every run,whens the last time that happened?

For every spectacular play Taylor made as a rookie, he made 3 or 4 mistakes, costing us big time in games. Landry hasn't made ONE of those kind of mistakes.

Name one mistake Taylor made his rookie year that cost us big time in a game.

You've got your numbers wrong. For every one you mention, I can mention 3 or 4 plays that Taylor made to put us in a position to win other games.

You want a mistake that Landry made? How about a missed tackle on Westbrook that allowed him to get a huge gain on what was supposed to be a short run, in the first Eagles game. Or his failure to tackle Westbrook on one of his huge runs in the second Eagles game.

He's been decent. He shows he has potential and definitely has been one of the better players on our defensive squad. He hasn;t had any interceptions but then again our defense doesn;t get interceptions very much. He definitely is no taylor, but i just wish we all could have gotten to see how great he would have become if taylor was there to mentor him his whole carreer.

Damn, some of you guys are so critical on the young'n. I think he's going back to his natural position of FS, and become an all-pro at that position. He's no Sean, but he'll fill in fine. I think he's having a great rookie campaign and looking for what he's going to show us for a long time.

Name one mistake Taylor made his rookie year that cost us big time in a game.

You've got your numbers wrong. For every one you mention, I can mention 3 or 4 plays that Taylor made to put us in a position to win other games.

You want a mistake that Landry made? How about a missed tackle on Westbrook that allowed him to get a huge gain on what was supposed to be a short run, in the first Eagles game. Or his failure to tackle Westbrook on one of his huge runs in the second Eagles game.

I love(d) Taylor but to say he didn't make bad plays and miss tackles often early in his career is just foolish. Landry's made less bad plays, probably less great plays, but definitely less bad plays.

I'm not impressed with Landry. I hope he pans out to be something great, because he was picked VERY high and came into the league with quite a high reputation. The jury is still out, but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he will be anything beyond an ordinary or slightly above average safety in the league. I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Wow. Are you a scout? The guy is not ordinary at all AND he's playing on a team with an ineffective D-line. Time will prove your words untrue.

Landry has done pretty well. He is a heck of a lot better than Adam Archuletta. He has really done well. He is playing more of the line of scrimmage where gives good run support. I don't think that it would be fair to compare Landry and Taylor's rookie years. Landry helped out in that Philly win where he knocked the receiver from the ball and got us a win. He has really played pretty solid for us. It is just hard thinking about the defensive backfield without Sean Taylor. I have a hard time even playing Madden with Sean back there. It is just really sad.

The thing is, when you draft a safety 6th overall, you'd expect more than 'he hasn't made any mistakes'(which he has, btw). The thing with Landry is that he was NOT considered a top ten prospect until after his combine. Taylor didn't even have to go to the combine and he still would've been a top ten pick, easily. The reason I compare them two is because they were both picked in the Top 6 of the entire draft.

Outside of being a great blitzer(which, IMO, he is awesome at), Landry hasn't shown me much to prove that he was worth a top 6 selection. Taylor, OTOH, had two picks and a TD in his first rookie game. The second he finished his first game you knew that guy was going to be special.

Can we please stop comparing him to Sean they are two different types of safety. Laron is not known for his hands he is known for his hits and as run stopper and blitzer. Sean had all that and more. So please stop comparing them. He have to get over the fact that Sean was really special and that he will never comeback but he will live forever in are hearts and that this discussion is about Laron progression so far in the league. Not about how he measures up to ST. Right now we should show the man some support and hope that he watches flims and took some advise from Sean before he left us all! So he can become better than he is now, which is better than most starters in the league. Laron will get there in due time my friends you watch and see!

He's doing about what anyone should expect from a rook. He's very solid with a few mental mistakes that will be corrected with more game experience. Keep in mind that safety is darn hard position to play, and just for arguments sake who was the last rookie safety to come in the league and set it on fire (like we're magically expecting him to do)?

Somebody already mentioned a stat I wanted to point out but I'll say it again for emphasis. As a rookie, Laron is second in the league for tackles for a DB, he had 12 tackles against the Giants, 9 against the Cardinals, and 15 against the Pats, plus a sack and a half, with consistant pressure on the QB whenever he's asked to blitz. He's played the majority of the time in the box which affords less oppurtunity for picks considering he is more responsible for stopping the run than a FS or CB would be. He made the game saving tackle against Philly. He also picked off the 2 point conversion pass against the Cards which played a big part in us winning that game. As someone else mentioned he also forced the fumble against the Bills that could have saved the game had it not gone out of bounds. I feel very confident his only competition for defensive rookie of the year is Patrick Willis, who was been great. He is not Sean Taylor. Taylor was one of a kind and that's why we all loved him so much. The comparissons are unnecissary and unfair to Laron. Laron has been very good for a rookie. He's not the best safety in the league but he is certainly the best rookie DB so far from the draft.

I think the sky is the limit for him, actually. The guy is a gifted athlete and a workout warrior. If he continues to remain potent on the blitz, and starts to create more turnovers and big plays, then I'll definitely be giving him the nod for DROY, although Patrick Willis would be the choice if the season ended today.

Archived