Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon responds to his critics

DjTj

Great chat today on washingtonpost.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/28/DI2007112801721.html

Wilbon basically spent an hour today being relentlessly pummeled on the issue of Sean Taylor, and I actually thought his answers were pretty informative ... he got defensive at times, but he took tough questions that forced him to flesh out many details of his opinions. Some excerpts:

My comments during last week's chat and my column in Wednesday's newspaper have generated a lot of response, about 40 percent in agreement and 60 percent in disagreement, much of it passionate, some of it ugly. So, I'm compelled to deal with that...

As for my comments, much of the anger was generated by me saying I wasn't surprised at the tragedy in South Florida of a week ago. I have friends and family members who were ticked at me, and perhaps understandably so...But would people rather me have lied and faked being stunned? What would that have proven?

That didn't make Sean Taylor's death any less tragic or less senseless or less violent or less depressing. I'm not going to phony it up so some people will agree with me or pat me on the head. Those of you who felt similarly, fine. Those of you who felt differently and shocked, fine. We don't need to agree in this country. In fact, disagreement that sparks discussion we wouldn't otherwise have is healthy. People who simply want to have nice, comfy conversation are free to look elsewhere for it. But I don't do what I do to find agreement all the time.

As it turns out following the arrests, it appears Sean was not targeted, as I suspected. But it appears his home was targeted, which by definition makes it not random.

Those of you who are upset that I wrote that Sean's past and his associations had likely caught up with him should stop screaming and burying your heads under the pillow and read the comments from his lifelong friend, Antrelle Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals who talked forcefully and with insight when he said his dear friend of 18 years was afraid to go to Miami in recent trips because he thought people were after him...Rolle's words, not mine.

This is what I was talking about last week when I said just because Sean was in the process of changing his life doesn't mean others would let him, or that a complete change is possible in months (18 months, according to Joe Gibbs)...His own cousin talked about how people wanted Sean to leave South Florida because they feared something would happen. His cousin't words, not mine.

Those of you who thought that column was printed too soon...perhaps it was. But it didn't appear the day after Sean died, it appeared two days after. The Washington Post ran dozens of pieces, many talking about Sean's career and impact in this community and in South Florida. That's what we attempt to do, look at 360 degrees of an issue, in this case a tragic one. Is it going to turn out that the people who murdered Sean were in any way connected to his past? Perhaps not.

Whether it was random, connected, or something in between, the only thing I can wish now is that he had been healthy enough to play and not in South Florida for any reason. And I can hope that the senseless violence that visits American communities so often, for whatever reason, and whether it's random or part of some sick pattern, can simply stop...

Silver Lake, Calif.: Re: The Taylor article -- have you ever been as critized as you have been in the past week?

Michael Wilbon: Yes, it's not the first time and won't be the last...Conversations that make people (including me) uncomfortable bring exaggerated criticism and exaggerated praise. I'll tell you this: the people who loved the colum were as passionate as those who hated it, and I find both views a little stilted...I was uncomforble writing it, but taking an easier way out wasn't what I wanted to do...I can always look back on a piece and wish I could change a word, or the way I wrote a sentence. But having the conversation and raising the issue? No, I don't regret that.

Sometimes people read what they want to read and not what's on the page. And sometimes writers aren't clear enough about what they're saying...That struggle is ongoing.

Lafayette, Ind.: Hey Wilbon. It was sad enough losing Sean Taylor last week and it was my saddest week as a Redskin fan. What made it even worse were journalists like you who gave the impression that Sean "had it coming to him" and "did not divorce himself from his past." I think you really need to apologize to Sean Taylor's family, all Redskins and football fans, and the readers that have supported you through the years.

I know you are human and you can make a mistake. But this one was horrendous. I will be willing to give you another chance if you apologize and can admit that stereotyping and judging people is just plain wrong. You did not have all the facts. It made you look foolish. Sean was a hero and it is up to you to help spread the word, especially after last week.

Michael Wilbon: You won't read an apology here. Go back and get Wednesday's newspaper and read the column. Don't ever suggest I said anybody "had it coming" or you should be the one apologizing for making up a sentiment that wasn't expressed. I wonder, in many cases, if people doing the criticizing read the piece or simply listened to what somebody told them or listend to somebody who was angry on sportstalk radio.

Those who knew Sean Taylor best very carefully articulated how he changed his life. If he changed it, what did he change it from? The discussion I attempted to lead was about what might have happened in the context of old associated or people on the periphery not changing their lives...Read the piece. If you want to write your own, fine. But don't make up the sentiment mine expressed. It was a tough enough discussion without inserting your own resentment in my words.

Ashburn, Va.: Let's just say that your article was 100 percent accurate. I do not really agree with that, but let's just say it was. Don't you think that you should have showed more restraint (as JB put it so eloquently)? It seems like you want kudos for speaking your mind no matter what the public says, but shouldn't your stance be one that reflects the compassion of humanity rather than brutal honesty? At what point is being a person more important than being a journalist?

Michael Wilbon: Good question...I don't know there's an absolute answer. And J.B. and I talked back and forth last night. Not only do I respect his opinion and his right to disagree, I welcome it. JB and I run our feelings past each other all the time...Seriously, ALL the time...We disagree on this, but I'm not saying I was right...it's just how I felt at the time and something I felt needed to be addressed at the time. People always say, "it's not the right time." Then when would have been? Today, during the funeral? Thursday, the morning of the Bears game...We can respectfully disagree...We have to. But I'm not about to separate the two, or try to act as a "person" and not a "jouranlist." What would you say to the people who say I shouldn't have held the column for 24 hours? Who say I have a responsibility and shirked it for an entire day?

Washington: Okay, so many of us were not "surprised" by Sean Taylor's tragic death -- but I was very surprised that last week you dismissed any positive statements about Taylor as Redskins PR spin. Why the cynicism and hate there?

Michael Wilbon: Again, good question...All teams and organizations--ALL--put the best spin they can put on even the worst situations and it's the job of people who do what I do to put it aside and try to find out something that isn't pure spin...There are plenty of people, I should add, within the Redskin organization like any other who aren't dealing with spin, who don't want to hear it, who are more cynical than I am...You don't see theirs'; mine is on display by design.

Washington: You have a point that this attack was not random. And it has been published that people close to Taylor urged him to get out. However, that is a far cry from saying that Taylor himself was violent, rather than just an object of envy. Your comments in the online chat claimed that "Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it." Nothing that I've seen published, including Rolle's comments, have suggested that. What information did you have that you made this statement? Do you stand by this statement? If it was carelessly worded in a hastily typed chat, I can understand that, but please address this statement.

Michael Wilbon: He divorced himself from it within the last 18 months or so, which is what his friends say...But claiming it and running with it in the years before is indisputible...Otherwise, what did he change from?

Anonymous: I disagree only with the timing of your comments in an online conversation while Sean Taylor was on the verge of death and not dead yet. You should have held off. The timing was the only thing that offended me about your comments. Please tell me you regret that, or have at least learned something from it.

Michael Wilbon: ...And it's a totally legit question, and "yes" I wish I could have waited is the answer. Now let me ask you a question: Should we have avoided any discussion of Sean being shot last week in the hours after it happened? on a 1-10 scale of 1 (should have waited) and 10 (jump right in), I'm probably at a 7, but I can be persuaded that isn't the right thing at the right time...And what should we have discussed, and what should we have avoided. Is there a formula in these instand times when people want to talk about stuff NOW, the instand things happen? I don't know the answer.

Washington: I think there is a big difference between having friends who are involved in criminal activities and being involved in violence yourself. Having grown up in a rough neighborhood myself (as I believe you may have too?) I know that many of my friends were involved in things that I wouldn't touch. It's not clear to me whether or not Taylor's "previous" life was one of violence or merely being associated with violent people.

You seem to claim that it was the former. Is that what you're saying? If not, I hope you will clarify. Even though I've had friends who have done some ugly things (I've since gone through the uncomfortable process of distancing myself from them), I know that I'd roll over in my grave if I died and everyone said I was up to the same junk that some of my friends were.

Michael Wilbon: Great question, and I was talking primarily about the people one runs with...Sean Taylor did have that "no contest" plea to misdemeanor assault and battery, but STILL I was talking about environments we're in and how and when and whether we can extricate ourselves...Thanks...And YES, I go back sometimes and put myself at some risk (though in my naivete I think not much) when I go and hang out on the South Side where perhaps I shouldn't...Emmitt Smith and I had this conversation last week, and when I told him I did this he looked at me like I was nuts and said, "WHY?"

Maryland: Hi Mike. I've been following the chat and I understand what you meant when you said you are not bitter, but you see so much on a daily basis that makes you angry, or frustrated (or whatever -- I'm paraphrasing here). I can't help but agree. You are human and whatever you see, hear and feel is going to reflect through anything you say or write. I don't really have a question here, but I respect you as a writer and as a member of the media, so please don't change at all.

Michael Wilbon: Thank you...I'm going to really be on alert about my anger...Really...And that is something I might have to change. I'm not sure...There are people who read everything I write who I trust to tell me what they really feel and I solicit advice and reaction from them...and the ones I'm really close to...I don't need to wait for it...They come flying in...which is why we're close. I also miss the late Ralph Wiley's 5-minute voice mails that would set me straight or pat me on the head...He was a moral compass for a lot of us, certainly for me. For Aldridge, for Whitlock, for J.A. Adande...for a lot of us...He might be missed more than we know. Sometimes a laugh can accomplish what a scowl can't...So it's time for some introspection on this issue of anger...doesn't mean I'll change it entirely, but it's such a valid question.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/28/DI2007112801721.html

Just because Antrelle Rolle was mistaken in his belief Taylor's death was related to Sean's former associations in Miami, doesn't let Wilbon off the hook for jumping to the same conclusion based on zero evidence.

ANY athlete in ANY big city can be the target or robbers or thieves who look for celebrities with money.

What has always bothered me about Wilbon is that he never admits to making a mistake, largely because he doesn't think he has ever made one :)

That kind of arrogance is why Wilbon always seems engulfed in controversy.

Just because Antrelle Rolle was mistaken in his belief Taylor's death was related to Sean's former associations in Miami, doesn't let Wilbon off the hook for jumping to the same conclusion based on zero evidence.

ANY athlete in ANY big city can be the target or robbers or thieves who look for celebrities with money.

What has always bothered me about Wilbon is that he never admits to making a mistake, largely because he doesn't think he has ever made one :)

I agree. look at what happened to eddie curry and antoine walker in Chicago. They were bound up and gagged and were robbed as well. The crime is random, because the robbers didn't expect Taylor to be there. He wasn't the target of some assassination scheme. He was the victim of a random crime when people took advantage of his kindness and used that to gain wealth through stealing. I just hope that Sean is doing OK and that his family will gain solace in knowing that they had the opportunity to have a good son. I like Wilbon, but he is wrong on this one and he should apologize for his comments.

It isn't just Wilbon...it is most columnists. I can't figure out where they get it from but it seems they all get it at some point. Maybe it is because they are no long beat guys and have been given the privilege of seeing their opinion in print but for some reason after a while they all seem to confuse their opinion for fact and get the idea that they are infallible.

What a response.

I don't expect an apology for some speculation. That's not what made me upset. But I can't believe no one called him out on the 'tell a black man how he feels' comment in a more pointed fashion.

This was CLEARLY an attempt to play on the racial dynamic of a black journalist and white readers and attempting to shut down any debate about Taylor's changes. NOW he accepts those changes but if he had DONE RESEARCH before spouting off, he could have recognized those 'changes' beforehand.

Also, he is still holding onto this idea that Taylor 'embraced' a certain lifestyle when almost all the people talking about the 'change' seemed to feel this change was more about his purposefulness in the wake of his daughter's birth and his openness with teammates.

Does it mean that Sean Taylor was a 'thug' who embraced any kind of lifestyle before?

Frankly, if WIlbon wanted to see what a fair article was, he should read Elizabeth Merrill's piece for ESPN.

I think, in a way, the talk of Taylor's change has made it easier for certain members of the media to make their sociopolitical points as they can pretend the change was from gangsta to good man, when I don't think that's what people are meaning when they speak of it.

Sad also that no one seemed to bring up Walter Payton and the rumors going around when it was discovered he was ill. And that was a man whose only possible hint at "embraced lifestyle" was that he had a really soft voice.

They used Sean Taylor's corpse as a soapbox, rather than acknowledge him (and sincerely do so when they had a chance) as a victim.

It was his killers who exemplified all the social ills of which they spoke but they chose to focus on Taylor and his life. That is what upset people. Where were they when Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry were robbed? Where were tehy when Paul Pierce was stabbed? Phil Buchannon home invaded and threatened?

What a response.

I don't expect an apology for some speculation. That's not what made me upset. But I can't believe no one called him out on the 'tell a black man how he feels' comment in a more pointed fashion.

Some of the more pointed questions he kind of brushed aside, and others definitely didn't make the chat.

I asked about 10 questions, and one of them (not my best) was taken.

Also, he is still holding onto this idea that Taylor 'embraced' a certain lifestyle when almost all the people talking about the 'change' seemed to feel this change was more about his purposefulness in the wake of his daughter's birth and his openness with teammates.

Does it mean that Sean Taylor was a 'thug' who embraced any kind of lifestyle before?

He started off very strong on that point, but I think he was worn down a little bit by the end of the chat, because that's where the harshest criticism came ...

He was no longer willing to say that Sean himself was a thug but instead watered-down his statement, kind of: I was talking primarily about the people one runs with...Sean Taylor did have that "no contest" plea to misdemeanor assault and battery, but STILL I was talking about environments we're in and how and when and whether we can extricate ourselves.

Sad also that no one seemed to bring up Walter Payton and the rumors going around when it was discovered he was ill. And that was a man whose only possible hint at "embraced lifestyle" was that he had a really soft voice.
You should really submit a few questions for next week's chat. Wilbon at least seems very willing to hear criticism on this issue (and he's obviously getting it from his own family, friends, and colleagues).

The question I asked (and wasn't used) that I wanted to see answered was in reference to his prior determinations about Sean's lifestyle. I just want to know what he knew and knows that we don't that allows him to extrapolate from incident of confrontation that he led and was married to (even if he believes Sean divorced it later) a lifestyle of violence. Let's be honest, there are a LOT of 21 year old males who would choose to confront someone over stolen property rather than call the police and I'm not talking about inherently violent people. Yes it's stupid, no it's not the right way to do it but I fail to see how that's even CLOSE to indiciative of a lifestyle or how someone lived their life. He still hasn't addressed that. He still has explained how, without knowing someone, he was able to make determinations on how the man lived based on limited and old reports in the media. I still need to see that explained from him. Maybe he knows things we don't but somehow, I doubt it.

That and I think Ghost's comments about the racial aspect of the issue need to be addressed. It was hard not to come away with the feeling that Wilbon felt closer to, more able to speak on and more knowledgeable about who Sean was because they were both black, regardless of the fact that he didn't know him.

:applause: Exactly.

We won't read an apology from you Wilbon because you, my friend, are not a man. Real men are able to apologize when they know that they are mistaken.

Just admit that you jumped the gun and that you were wrong nerd.

In other words...man up punk. Damn!

We won't read an apology from you Wilbon because you, my friend, are not a man. Real men are able to apologize when they know that they are mistaken.

Just admit that you jumped the gun and that you were wrong nerd.

In other words...man up punk. Damn!

To be fair, he admitted that "I wish I could have waited," and admitted that "Sean was not targeted, as I suspected." He also said he wasn't necessarily talking about Sean's own bad behavior but "primarily about the people one runs with."

You're right that we're not going to get an apology out of him, but he is definitely backpedaling from almost everything he said last week except in the abstract.

I am associates with a NFL current player (not on the skins),. The rumor going around the league was the knife left a week prior was stabbed into Sean's bed. Hindsight tells me this was a vicious rumor, but was accepted and told to me as fact from my friend. Rolle just said what a lot of players were thinking.IMO>

Wilbon lost a great deal of respect from me, him and Mr.Tony. The opinions they had and shared were disrespectful to Sean and his family. They could have held there tongue til after todays funeral.

I am associates with a NFL current player (not on the skins),. The rumor going around the league was the knife left a week prior was stabbed into Sean's bed. Hindsight tells me this was a vicious rumor, but was accepted and told to me as fact from my friend. Rolle just said what a lot of players were thinking.IMO>

Wilbon lost a great deal of respect from me, him and Mr.Tony. The opinions they had and shared were disrespectful to Sean and his family. They could have held there tongue til after todays funeral.

Please tell your friend to get the people in the NFL to demand an apology from jerks like Wilbon.

To be fair, he admitted that "I wish I could have waited," and admitted that "Sean was not targeted, as I suspected." He also said he wasn't necessarily talking about Sean's own bad behavior but "primarily about the people one runs with."

You're right that we're not going to get an apology out of him, but he is definitely backpedaling from almost everything he said last week except in the abstract.

he's still blaming sean. that's what drives me nuts.

First let me say that I do not know what happened in Florida regarding the ATV thefts from Sean's house. So, as much as I know right now, right here that it is stupid to go after people who you think have wronged you, broke into your house, violated your sanctity and stolen possessions that you have worked hard and sacrificed for and that the police should handle it. I am not sure that I would not have gone after them as well. That is how I felt when my car was vandalized. Am I violent? Am I married to a violent lifestyle? Do I run with violent people? You would be hard pressed to prove any of this by my contemplated actions and still hard to prove if I had carried them out.

To assert that Sean was violent or ran with violent people because his sanctity was violated and he responded with vengeance does not make him violent. It makes him human and vulnerable. As a devout Christian, I believe it when the Lord says, "Vengeance is mine." But my human flesh craves revenge when I am wronged. It takes a power greater than I to restrain me from doing that which I think in that moment.

As for the incident in which Sean was murdered, no one can say he was in the wrong. He was in his house, with his family, asleep. It does not matter what Antrelle Rolle says, his cousin says or anyone else says. They were not there.

Wilbon continues to ask what he changed from. He changed from a person who made rash, emotional decisions to one who was more thoughtful and began to consider others before himself. Having a child will do that for you. He changed from being very egocentristic to one who began to embrace a univeral view of the world. What did he change from Wilbon? He changed from being a child to being a man. Most of us do at some stage in our lives. Simply because he was a public figure and we watched this maturation process in public, it is not unique to Sean Taylor.

So, there was a change from adolescence to manhood. Now spin that!!!!!

There are a lot of stupid people out there. Unfortunately we have to read or hear what they say. I just browsed to an AOL Sports web-page that had a ton of comments that were ridiculous, and I only read about 20% of the stuff that was there.

I think Sean Taylor loved Miami, and that's where his family was. If I was an NFL player with a girlfriend and child, I'd probably feel more comfortable leaving them at home with their family and my family, rather then uprooting them, especially if I had a young child. Sean didn't have 18 months to change, rather he had 27 months... it's quite daunting to realize the responsibility on your shoulders when you realize you are going to be a father, although might not be realized until birth. Jackie being 18 months old means they were expecting from October 2005.

I'm thankful to know that Sean was at peace and right with God, that's probably the most important thing in everyone's life. Wilbon and Kornheiser... they sell newspapers and generating controversy is something that goes into it. There are plenty of people willing to buy the, "Sean Taylor, thug for life..." story, but I think we all will want to hear from people that reinforce our beliefs.

I know this is selfish but I miss Sean Taylor the football player the most. Probably because I didn't know him as a father, friend, son, or someone I looked up to... I didn't know him as a thug, but through his actions on the field. I'm most sad that I'll never get to see him prowl the middle in Burgundy and Gold, and it was sadly fitting and very bitter that Buffalo won the game on a pass that was floated right where Sean would've been if he was playing. In my mind I know he was a great son, father, boyfriend, and even someone who changed a lot... but I'll still know him best as starting free safety, #21, Washington Redskins.

Anyway, I suppose this post got off topic, but I haven't really vented my thoughts for a week or so.

Wilbon still doesn't get it.

He still clings to Rolle's comments like they mean anything.

Again.

Let's assume everything Wilbon says is true.

Sean once ran with the wrong crowd.

Sean led a life within the "gun culture".

Sean may have changed but others didn't and were looking for him.

None of this matters.

He was asleep in his house when burglars broke into his house that they thought was empty. In the process of investagating the noises, Sean was shot and killed by these burglars.

What does his life, lifestyle, past or even current associations have to do with that?

Oh and Wilbon, just because the burglars knew it was Sean Taylor's house thus technically not random, how does that fact in any way shape or form aid your position? The house was targeted for burglary, Sean was not targeted for murder. That was your assumption. Sean was targeted. And you were WRONG!!!!!

Mike's and other journalists oppinions are what ST didn't give a damn about. He could care less if the media sat in their huddles and speculated what they thought ST was or was not doing. ST was a low-key dude, who performed his job well, and spent the other half of his life dealing with people he trusted and loved. I think the media is bitter with public figures (such as ST), who have no interest in dealing with them, therefore when a story breaks the media is quick to broadcast it highlighting a lot of the negative.

ST, RIP, your true fans will ponder on the positive aspects of your life.

"Let's just say that your article was 100 percent accurate. I do not really agree with that, but let's just say it was. Don't you think that you should have showed more restraint (as JB put it so eloquently)? It seems like you want kudos for speaking your mind no matter what the public says, but shouldn't your stance be one that reflects the compassion of humanity rather than brutal honesty? At what point is being a person more important than being a journalist?"

GREAT Question!!!... This seemed to be the only time he really grasped how we were feeling and acknowledged the validity of his "disagree-ers" positions.

LightNSwift(28)

Wilbon needs to respond to his critics. He has a lot to answer for. Frankly, he has completely betrayed his Southside Chicago roots. He has become wealthy and elitist...a television star actually, and has about ZERO street cred at this point.

To say that he wasn't surprised in the least that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder and that he wouldn't be stunned if he was specifically targeted is utterly insensitive at best and irresponsible journalism at worst.

Sorry Wilbon. One less fan in the world after reading that column in the Post.

Archived