Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Firing Joe Gibbs now sends a terrible message

hammerva

All this talk about firing Joe Gibbs is completely understandable as it just seems like the game has passed him by. Not that I think a new coach will take this team to the glory days because the problem with this team in organizational and not just the head coach. But can you imagine the public perception that Synder and Cerrato would have to go through if they fired Joe Gibbs this week or next. You have an entire team trying to cope and adapt with the loss of Sean Taylor and you have Synder and Cerrato spending time firing the person responsible for this team. Especially given the hectic schedule with the funeral and the Chicago game. You can't tell people that the Redskins are a "family" and then fire the head coach. It sends a terrible message that with all the struggles in dealing with the death that winning is the only thing that matters.

Let the season finish and then release Gibbs. But firing Gibbs now is a terrible and heartless thing to do. Hell I don't think even Jerry Jones would do that.

I'm sick of people talking about firing Gibbs. Let him fulfill his contract, and if next year he can't get it done the organization can think about not giving him another one. No one has any patience anymore, it's ridiculous.

Before the season starts, all I hear from 'skins fans is "Joe can do it!" blah blah blah. Then halfway through the season, if things don't look right "Fire Gibbs!" All of it makes me want to throw up. If you don't really know what's going on, don't make decisions.

i think even the staunchest of the "Gibbs must go" people feel he should go at the end of the season...

you don't fire a HoF coach mid-season...even if he is done..(which I believe he is)

plus, after the norv/robiskie fiasco I doubt snyder will fire a coach mid-season ever again...

no, best case is Joe retires at year's end...

Snyder won't fire Gibbs, because Gibbs is the only barrier preventing most of the fanbase from realizing that the problems with this team start with Snyder. If he fired Gibbs, Snyder would not be able to avoid all the scrutiny...which he hates in the first place.

Didn't Jerry Jones fire the Legend Tom in 1989?!

Joe Gibbs is like what Tom Landry was in the mid-late 80s. Game passed him by and it's hard to realize that.

I love Joe Gibbs, he's great person with a legendary past, but having him step down himself would be great. Having him get fired would be bad, but understandable.

Unlike previous coaches, we have been very patient with Gibbs. It's his 4th year and the team is still not WINNING games. You play to WIN.

No one is saying fire him now. But we need to get into the mindset that he will leave after this season. Staying shouldn't even be an option for him. He is killing this team. The question you need to ask yourself is, how quickly do you want to be good again? If you want to delay that process another year, then I guess Gibbs can stay.

No true Redskin fan in their right mind wants to see Gibbs fired. He is a class act person. But hopefully he still has the sense to see that this team will do better with someone else, and step down at seasons end. He is no where close to the coach that he once was.

BRING IN THE CHIN !!

Hell I even know you can call 2 time outs in a row.

Also remember that time he send frost out to free kick a kickoff ? I think that was the game against the Colts last year when we got a ton of penalties and kicked off from the 15 . I mean what rulebook is this man reading ?

Firing Gibbs now would be pointless , but he better step down after this season or Synder is going to have to fire him.

Joe Gibbs will never be fired. He has too much clout and the fan base would rebel against Snyder if he did so. Joe should relieve himself of coaching and just be the team president, which will probably just be figurehead role. He should oversee the hiring of a GM and be a caretaker/adviser to the franchise.

All this talk about firing Joe Gibbs is completely understandable as it just seems like the game has passed him by. Not that I think a new coach will take this team to the glory days because the problem with this team in organizational and not just the head coach. But can you imagine the public perception that Synder and Cerrato would have to go through if they fired Joe Gibbs this week or next. You have an entire team trying to cope and adapt with the loss of Sean Taylor and you have Synder and Cerrato spending time firing the person responsible for this team. Especially given the hectic schedule with the funeral and the Chicago game. You can't tell people that the Redskins are a "family" and then fire the head coach. It sends a terrible message that with all the struggles in dealing with the death that winning is the only thing that matters.

Let the season finish and then release Gibbs. But firing Gibbs now is a terrible and heartless thing to do. Hell I don't think even Jerry Jones would do that.

Snyder is not firing Gibbs now or ever. Joe Gibbs will decide when Joe Gibbs is finished coaching.

These kinds of threads are just wrong. Gibbs couldnt have possibly lived up to the hype that was created when we heard he was coming back. In four years we have been to the playoffs once under a 1 year old coach, but have endured a lot of games that could have gone our way. Gibbs has changed the way Snyder has handled himself and his manner towards the coaching staff.

More importantly, without Gibbs here, we wouldnt have quality like Cooley and ST (and we're lucky to be the only ones that had him), and Rocky, and a lot fo others. Gibbs has given us more then we had back in the 90's when we wandered blindly through mediocrity.

Im not blind. I see the bad play calling, and i see the rehashed speaches on Comcast. But i also see the dropped passes and the fumbles, and thats a player issue, not a coaching issue. Those same issues are affecting Campbells stats as well, thus breeding a small, loud crowd of Campbell haters. Those same people probably didnt like Trent Green when we had him either.

While I think his tenure as head coach should end, he definitely should NOT be fired now. That, or his stepping down, should NOT take place until the season ends. Anything done now with four games still left to be played would create even more chaos than what's already plaguing the team now.

Didn't Jerry Jones fire the Legend Tom in 1989?!

Joe Gibbs is like what Tom Landry was in the mid-late 80s. Game passed him by and it's hard to realize that.

I love Joe Gibbs, he's great person with a legendary past, but having him step down himself would be great. Having him get fired would be bad, but understandable.

Unlike previous coaches, we have been very patient with Gibbs. It's his 4th year and the team is still not WINNING games. You play to WIN.

Landry was fired when Jones came in as the new owner, while Snyder is going on his 8th season mis-managing this team. Plus, Cowboys fans became SPOILED after making the playoffs in 18 of the previous 20 seasons, and those poor crybabies couldn't handle missing the playoffs from 1986-88. :doh:

However...when Landry was fired he was 64 years old....THREE years younger than Joe Gibbs the Elder. :(

Archived