Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands and musicians that you just don't get

TrumanB

Dave Matthews Band. I'm sorry, I know a lot of people love them but they drive me nuts. Whoever told Matthews he could sing should be shot, and every song of their's is very overplayed.

The ***** Cat Dolls. No. Just no. [edit: ahaha... I didn't know that was in the filter.]

All pop stars that are only stars because they are pretty and rappers that don't even bother to try to be original instead of spewing the same crap over and over.

As for the Beatles debate... I'm inbetween. Their good stuff is really good but they've also put out some pretty amazingly crappy songs. I can see both sides of the arguement here.

lmao.

While I am not a huge fan of the Beatles...you've at least gotta respect them for what they did. They were a pretty influential group. I still think that they are overrated, but they did accomplish a lot in their time. For as much decent music that they put out, they put out just as much bad stuff. Though, many people think everything they put out was gold. Each to their own.

The only major thing they did IMHO, was pave the way for British acts to make it in America. Other than that, they weren't the innovators people made them out to be. Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were doing their thing better than the Beatles, before the beatles, but the beatles reaped all the credit for being so far ahead of their time. I just never got it.

Seriously, how could anyone think Yellow Submarine is good? Also, how many times can you hear NA, NA NA, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY JUDE, before you wanna rip your ear drums out and curse your sense of hearing? :laugh:

Hey Mr. Lennon, Jude was smart for not wanting you, Submarines aren't yellow, love isn't all you need, i fmoney can't buy you love, go up 2 blocks and hang a right, you'll find some love for $2 on a good night, there are 7 days in a week, you say goodbye, but I say go to hell, you are not the walrus, or the ape man, nobody knows what the **** coocoocachoo means, I remembered to forget to remember, why do you wanna hold my hand? I don't have a comb, but I wouldn't lend it to you if I did, you might have lice. Obla di obla da doesnt make sense, and we can't work it out because I just don't like you John. You either, Paul. Damn Super Bowl spoiler. You aren't sexy with your loose skin flapping in the breeze.

So do your hippy hippy shake through strawberry fields forever, and leave the songwriting to the talented folks. :thumbsup:

Why don't you like them
I hope I clarified things :silly:

The only major thing they did IMHO, was pave the way for British acts to make it in America. Other than that, they weren't the innovators people made them out to be. Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly were doing their thing better than the Beatles, before the beatles, but the beatles reaped all the credit for being so far ahead of their time. I just never got it.

Seriously, how could anyone think Yellow Submarine is good? Also, how many times can you hear NA, NA NA, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, HEY JUDE, before you wanna rip your ear drums out and curse your sense of hearing? :laugh:

Hey Mr. Lennon, Jude was smart for not wanting you, Submarines aren't yellow, love isn't all you need, i fmoney can't buy you love, go up 2 blocks and hang a right, you'll find some love for $2 on a good night, there are 7 days in a week, you say goodbye, but I say go to hell, you are not the walrus, or the ape man, nobody knows what the **** coocoocachoo means, I remembered to forget to remember, why do you wanna hold my hand? I don't have a comb, but I wouldn't lend it to you if I did, you might have lice. Obla di obla da doesnt make sense, and we can't work it out because I just don't like you John. You either, Paul. Damn Super Bowl spoiler. You aren't sexy with your loose skin flapping in the breeze.

So do your hippy hippy shake through strawberry fields forever, and leave the songwriting to the talented folks. :thumbsup:

For someone who hates them so much you sure know a lot about them. I mean, Lend Me Your Comb isn't exactly one of their more famous songs.

Edit: Oh, and The Beatles were awesome

I don't know man, if you've only heard their hit songs, then yes I can see why you wouldn't like them. Songs like "can't buy me love" and "i wanna hold your hand" are their typical lovey-dovey songs that they started out with Back in the early 60s. And yellow submarine sucks. But there's a lot of stuff they wrote in the late 60s early 70s, after they got tripped up, that was genius. Go to youtube and type The Beatles-because and click on the first one. That song is crazy.

strawberry fields is another one that i like. I once heard this rough recording of strawberry fields that lennon did with this vintage sound as his voice bounced off the wooden walls of his bedrom. very cool sounding

For someone who hates them so much you sure know a lot about them. I mean, Lend Me Your Comb isn't exactly one of their more famous songs.
You don't have to be a fan to know so much sometimes. I hate the Cowboys, but know more about them than their "fans" do.

It also helps that my sister and best friend are hardcore fans. ;)

Edit: Oh, and The Beatles were awesome
See man, why do you gotta hurt me like this? :laugh: You like the Redskins, how did you stray so far?

Dave Matthews Band. I'm sorry, I know a lot of people love them but they drive me nuts. Whoever told Matthews he could sing should be shot, and every song of their's is very overplayed.

Yea, definitely not feeling dave matthews. i cant say one thing that i like about their music.

I don't get a lot of stuff. I agree with the OP< the Beastie Boys are total garbage, talentless, can't write, nothing but annoying for the sake of being annoying. (To the guy who doesn't get the Sex Pistols, that's it in a nutshell. But they did it better, and were not meant to be anything else BUT that.)

I don't get people over 30 who still claim AC/DC is a fresh original great rock and roll band. Tripe. Lowest common denominator stuff, written with the values and libido of the 15 year old in mind. They've essentially recorded the same songs now 500 times over. slightly different titles, same chords, same structure, same everything. Yawn.

Likewise Van Halen. OK, So Eddie knows a bunch of nifty tricks, but my god, can he play the cutesy stuff a little more? Not quite sappy enough for me. His brother is honestly the worst drummer of any band that ever made it big. The guy knows how to crash and smash and that is about it. Michael Anthony had the greatest job in the world. Play two notes and collect your pay.. More songs about teenage lust and getting high. Yay. Wake me up when it's over and the kids go home.

I don't get John Coltrane. They tell me he was a genius, but honestly, most of his stuff has absolutely no form at all. Now, the purists say "EXACTLY!", and i say "whatever".

And i do NOT get the Grateful Dead.

Now I know all the deadheads fall over backwards and says "Dude,, like you've just got to go see them dude! It's like the most natural thing!"

Ok so I went. the music ****ing SUCKS. Jerry Garcia NEVER met a sour note he didn't like, because he hits them all the damn time. The drugs are fun, and watching hippy chicks dance around while they're tripping is fun, but the overwhelming stench of 40,000 people who haven't showered in a month is a real downer, and then there's the constant "music" from that band up on the stage ruining the whole thing.

Ugh

~Bang

I don't get a lot of stuff. I agree with the OP< the Beastie Boys are total garbage, talentless, can't write, nothing but annoying for the sake of being annoying. (To the guy who doesn't get the Sex Pistols, that's it in a nutshell. But they did it better, and were not meant to be anything else BUT that.)

I don't get people over 30 who still claim AC/DC is a fresh original great rock and roll band. Tripe. Lowest common denominator stuff, written with the values and libido of the 15 year old in mind. They've essentially recorded the same songs now 500 times over. slightly different titles, same chords, same structure, same everything. Yawn.

Likewise Van Halen. OK, So Eddie knows a bunch of nifty tricks, but my god, can he play the cutesy stuff a little more? Not quite sappy enough for me. His brother is honestly the worst drummer of any band that ever made it big. The guy knows how to crash and smash and that is about it. Michael Anthony had the greatest job in the world. Play two notes and collect your pay.. More songs about teenage lust and getting high. Yay. Wake me up when it's over and the kids go home.

I don't get John Coltrane. They tell me he was a genius, but honestly, most of his stuff has absolutely no form at all. Now, the purists say "EXACTLY!", and i say "whatever".

And i do NOT get the Grateful Dead.

Now I know all the deadheads fall over backwards and says "Dude,, like you've just got to go see them dude! It's like the most natural thing!"

Ok so I went. the music ****ing SUCKS. Jerry Garcia NEVER met a sour note he didn't like, because he hits them all the damn time. The drugs are fun, and watching hippy chicks dance around while they're tripping is fun, but the overwhelming stench of 40,000 people who haven't showered in a month is a real downer, and then there's the constant "music" from that band up on the stage ruining the whole thing.

Ugh

~Bang

You sir, are a genius.

Piles of trash and manure>Van Halen, Grateful Dead.

I don't get a lot of stuff. I agree with the OP< the Beastie Boys are total garbage, talentless, can't write, nothing but annoying for the sake of being annoying. (To the guy who doesn't get the Sex Pistols, that's it. But they did it better.)

Likewise Van Halen. OK, So Eddie knows a bunch of nifty tricks, but my god, can he play the cutesy stuff a little more? Not quite sappy enough for me. His brother is honestly the worst drummer of any band that ever made it big. The guy knows how to crash and smash and that is about it. Michael Anthony had the greatest job in the world. Play two notes and collect your pay.. More songs about teenage lust and getting high. Yay.

And i do NOT get the Gratefule Dead.

Ok so I went. the music ****ing SUCKS. Jerry Garcia NEVER met a sour note he didn't like, because he hits them all the damn time. The drugs are fun, and watching hippy chicks dance around while they're tripping is fun, but then there's the constant MUSIC from that band up on the stage ruining the whole thing.

Ugh

~Bang

I haven't heard enough Grateful Dead to know whether I like them or not. They were a big influence on Phish though, so that's gotta be plus points in my book.

I agree with you on ACDC. They play the SAME ****ING RIFFS EVERY SONG. Same solos, same rhythm, and same singing. Wow, the more I think about it, the more I realize how uninteresting their music is.

As for Van Halen, the thing I like about them is their groove. It's just cool. there's this song by them called drop dead legs that has this cool heavy style to it. That's what I like about Van Halen. I don't mind listening to them during the days when david lee roth was the singer. eddie isn't my favorite guitarist but he revolutionized the style of playing, gotta give him props for that. I mean, who wasn't like "woah" when they first heard eruption?

Nickelback-----------i hate them with passion, that song photograph so help me i don't go insane everytime that song comes on the air

every true metal group-----------cant hear or understand what your saying, this does not include NIN or Metalica (they are not truly metal)

the guy who sings margaritaville----------shut up

Pink/Fegie-------------i actually like pop/hip-hop music but not these two

Carrie Underwood-----------go back to your country music station

the who----------i only like that who are you song everything else ?~!~?~!

there is probably alot more but since its 1 am yeah thats enough for now.

every true metal group-----------cant hear or understand what your saying, this does not include NIN or Metalica (they are not truly metal)

Black Sabbath...Iron Maiden...Judas Priest. That is true metal, sir. Or are you referring to the good ole death metal? Ya know, where the vocals require no effort at all and anyone can do them? I dont get that either. :rolleyes:

Ok, so I'm listening to the radio (rock station) a few minutes ago and who comes on: the freaking Beastie Boys. I loathe their music. I just don't get how anyone can listen to that garbage. Is it supposed to be hip hop? Who knows, but every one of their songs sounds exactly the same. Just last week, they came on the radio and I immediately changed the station. My daughter screams at me to turn it back because she loves their music. She wasn't even born when they released their first album. I asked her why she liked them and she says that she loves their lyrics. WTF? It sounds like a second grader wrote their "songs". Then I read recently that they were just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. WTF?

Does anyone else have a band or a musician where you just don't get their popularity? Two other ones that I hate (from the 70's) are Chicago and Steely Dan. Just don't get it.

I don't get nearly all the rap and hip-hop music out there. Its pure garbage.

Gnarls Barkley

Beck

Erica Badu, although I love a lot of her stuff, very soulful

Amy Whinehouse

Coldplay

The Beatles (suck)

Elvis

Nickelback

Silverchair

You don't have much cred saying the Beatles and Elvis suck, man. And, as far as today's rock bands go, you won't find a better one than Nickleback. And Coldplay isn't all that bad either. You think those suck? You care to list who you think are good?

Archived