Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands and musicians that you just don't get

TrumanB

Just thought up another one:

I have never understood the Smashing Pumpkins. Are they an awesome traditional rock band? Are they some sort of alternative rock? Are they some sort of techno band? What the hell??? They have like 4 songs I think are great songs and about 10 times as many songs that make me think "what the ****???"

Just thought up another one:

I have never understood the Smashing Pumpkins. Are they an awesome traditional rock band? Are they some sort of alternative rock? Are they some sort of techno band? What the hell??? They have like 4 songs I think are great songs and about 10 times as many songs that make me think "what the ****???"

The Pumpkins put out B-Sides that are 100x better than anything you hear on the radio today. Corgan is an incredible guitarist/lyricist. I can understand why some wouldn't like his vocals but the guy is an amazing artist. The same can be said of Jimmy Chamberlain who is an extremely underrated drummer.

I guess instead of debating, I'll add fuel to the fire.

I don't understand Pink Floyd and Mars Volta. I always hear about how they are amazing bands, but to me they are slow and weird. I am a patient music listener, and these bands just make me frustrated. I like one Pink Floyd song, "Welcome to the Machine", and that about wraps it up. Even that one is long and drawn out. Mars Volta is supposed to be some new-age prog-rock storyteller band. I attempted to get in to it but was totally put off from the get-go. I don't see the attraction to these bands unless you've ripped your brain down with drugs to the level of accepting them.

Their earlier songs aren't always so slow and drawn out - case in point, "The Nile Song." But, with bands such as Pink Floyd and The Grateful Dead, psychedelics certainly do have a great part in really understanding their music. Their songs can, of course, be enjoyed without the use of hallucinogenic substances, but it does add depth to their music that really can't be described or explained.

But Floyd's music is often medium tempo or slower, depending on the album, so if you are look for fast riffs, don't expect to hear it on every Floyd song. But if you want texture and a smooth feel to the song, that is Floyd's world. David Gilmour is still one of my favoriter guitar players - his Fender sound is just so classic.

LOG is generic, but they do it well and thats ok. not every band is going to reinvent the wheel. and frankly when LOGs first release came out on Prosthetic, it was pretty original at the time. but i would agree all their stuff sounds the same at this point.

if youre into heavy music, what kind?

and most heavy bands play all their songs in the same keys, theres only 12 of them so its kinda hard to base originality on what key you play songs in.

I am not asking for a band to reinvent the wheel...juts to do something slightly original, lol. But LOG's first album was decent. They are just boring now.

I listen to a ton of heavy stuff...Opeth (probably my fav.), Katatonia, Devin Townsend, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork, Bloodbath, Daylight Dies...to name a few.

But a lot of bands play songs in the same keys, sure, but not all of the rhythmic content sounds the same unlike lets say Lamb of God. 12 keys is as ton of keys considering you can play in minor modes of all twelve keys, so that is 24 right there with just pure minor. Then if you want to go into the other modes...that is a whole other world.

I am not asking for a band to reinvent the wheel...juts to do something slightly original, lol. But LOG's first album was decent. They are just boring now.

I listen to a ton of heavy stuff...Opeth (probably my fav.), Katatonia, Devin Townsend, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork, Bloodbath, Daylight Dies...to name a few.

But a lot of bands play songs in the same keys, sure, but not all of the rhythmic content sounds the same unlike lets say Lamb of God. 12 keys is as ton of keys considering you can play in minor modes of all twelve keys, so that is 24 right there with just pure minor. Then if you want to go into the other modes...that is a whole other world.

I always recommend Mastdon, if you are looking for something heavy but a bit different.

The singer of Rush - great sounding band, good songs, good musicians, amazing drummer, and... the weirdest rock voice I've ever heard.

That guy is a total ahole. I worked as a bellman in Richmond in college and had to check Rush in real late at night. The had me stay at the hotel overnight to check them in.

When I brought Getty Lee's bags up he immediately started in with.

"The 7&$$*# t.v won't work, what kind of a (#(#$*$ hotel is this?"

because he couldn't order a particular movie or something.

He was flaming, screaming angry and his voice was just like it is when he sings.

cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Radiohead is awful. Not genius, not amazing, but awful. It's just whining over computer beats. Thom York can't sing at all! Elliot Smith is supposed to be this "genius" who killed himself too soon. I feel bad that he killed himself, but my goodness, he's terrible! Totally agree on Nickleback, there was a site back in the day that had two of there songs playing at the same time, and it was evident that they just do the same song over and over and over again. I don't get Miles Davis, as far as jazz goes, I'm sorry, he sounded like NOISE. Miles Davis might be the most overrated crap ever recorded.

This post makes me sad. Especially the Elliot Smith part. I almost agree on Radiohead as far as the premise of this thread goes, but I dont think they are terrible. Just one of the bands that I never really got "into." You arent going to just be able to listen to them once and fall in love with it.

Archived