Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pats' 2nd 1st Round Pick

SKINchiefer

I dont think we will get an extra pick....But big difference between those other players and ST......ST was a pro bowler and our best overall player......Those guys were nfl players not superstars (no offense to any of them).......However if something happened to Tom Brady I bet the league would bend over backwords to help them.

may be true.

I dont think we will get an extra pick....But big difference between those other players and ST......ST was a pro bowler and our best overall player......Those guys were nfl players not superstars (no offense to any of them).......However if something happened to Tom Brady I bet the league would bend over backwords to help them.

Can you imagine if there was some 'rulebook' that stated what each team and each player gets in return for some tragic event? It would be quite a large book, and would be open to constant interpretation. I don't think the league has any interest in doing such a thing.

Korey Stringer was an all pro.

The number of draft picks vary every year anyway due to conditional picks and the like.

That's not exactly true. While the number of compensatory picks each year varies based on an equation involving the difference between players lost to free agency and players gained in free agency, there are still a total of 32 compensatory picks each year. Of those 32 not given to teams as compensation for free agency losses > free agency gains, the remaining picks are awarded at the end of the 7th round based on the draft order. For instance last year, the final 2 picks of the draft went to Oakland and Detroit. Not as compensation for free agency, but because only 30 picks were given out to teams who lost more than they gained in free agency. So the remaining two went to the first and 2nd teams in the picking order.

That said, I think one less person will be drafted this year due to the Patriots' loss of their first rounder. It's similar to the situation a team would be in if they choose a player in the supplemental draft: they forfeit that round's pick next year, and it just means no one is selected. Just like the Cincinnati Bengals did in the third round this past year. I believe from their supplemental drafting of Odell Thurman? But I could have the wrong LB/jailbird here.

I would think Sean Taylor's passing would influence the compensatory pick ranking for the Redskins in the 2009 draft, as it would be calculated with the 2008 free agency equation. However, it's possible it could be included with this past season's free agency period, and it could influence a compensatory pick for the upcoming draft. I'm not sure. I would think losing a player of ST's caliber would warrant a 3rd round compensatory pick.

I just had a wild idea. Should we be given the patriots' 1st round pick that was taken from them since we lost our most valued and missed 1st rounder? ..maybe get another safety...again...R.I.P. Sean ...:(

No.

First, that pick does not exist anymore.

Second, you do not get compensated for this kind of tragedy.

Third, Kenny Phillips is going to be only Safety that gets picked in first round but it will be in top 15 for sure and that is if he comes out (most likely he will do to a weak safety draft class).

Fourth, you guys will need to focus on pass rush or offensive line... which should be a higher priority.

Fifth, why the heck are you even thinking about this..

Just wanted to amend what I said earlier about the Skins being compensated for this.

I looked into it, and it won't factor into the free agency losses/additions equation for compensation picks due to a couple of things: first, this isn't the free agency period. secondly, this is treated like a retirement roster move.

At first I was inclined to think that teams should be compensated for the untimely death or injury of a star player, but then I realized: No team gets compensated for a star playing who simply feels too old to continue playing. The Giants didn't get compensated for what some people called Tiki Barber's early retirement. The Browns had to deal with Jim Brown's early retirement because management made him mad.

So if a team doesn't get compensated for a player who decided to retire after some time in the league, whether its early or not, then a team wouldn't get compensated for a player forced into early retirement due to an injury. Likewise, there won't be compensation for a player forced into early retirement due to death.

No.

Third, Kenny Phillips is going to be only Safety that gets picked in first round but it will be in top 15 for sure and that is if he comes out (most likely he will do to a weak safety draft class).

Fourth, you guys will need to focus on pass rush or offensive line... which should be a higher priority.

5. Just popped in my mind while i was eating lunch lol..plus missing 21 got me thinking of the best way to replace him [even though we know no one will come close to taylor] and the pats pick popped in my mind.

No.

Is the Broncos board boring you to death?

The fact that the NFL is a business seems to have been forgotten.

Yes, Sean was murdered.

But, we will not be given something special because of this.

There are rules...............not rules with exceptions if a player is murdered during the season.

I am saddened by this event.

But we do not get special treatment because of this tragedy.

I agree, but Darrent Williams is no Sean Taylor to the Bronc's... Also, Williams was out club hoppin when his death occured.. after a skirmish.

Im not sure what your intentions were with that post, but it comes off as pretty classless. I'm not a Broncos fan and I'm offended that you wrote something like that.

First, it doesn't matter when he was shot, he was shot and killed senselessly. Until proof is given that they were targetting him for something wrong he did, I won't concede this point.

Second, are players not allowed to enjoy themselves like we are? They are humans too. Sean Taylor coulda been shot while buying baby-food, and it's still be bad, or at the park letting his daughter play.

Darrent Williams may not have been quite as important, but all news indicates he was a fan favorite and becoming a good corner opposite CHamp. I was sad to hear about Williams death then, and Taylor's death only reminds me of his again. He may not have been as talented, but that's irrelevant.

I agree, but Darrent Williams is no Sean Taylor to the Bronc's... Also, Williams was out club hoppin when his death occured.. after a skirmish.

What a disrespectful post.

So, his death was OK since he had been in a club earlier. The fact he was in a limo with teammates and someone SHOT into the limo IS OK because HE IS NO SEAN TAYLOR. And his teammates barely escaped death and had Darrent's blood all over them.

Tell HIS family that his death is no big deal because....well....he is NO Sean Taylor.

I know this is a time of grief.......but this was such an uncalled for comparison

A truly terrible idea. This is the same line of thinking that has our country in trouble. People expect that if something bad happens to them that its someone else's job to come bail them out instead of putting in the work and helping themselves.

Sure, losing Taylor is a tragedy on many levels but just because the organization was dealt a blow doesn't mean they are entitled to extra help.

I talked to some friends of mine the other day about this; we all thought it would be a good idea from the NFL, but we definately don't see it happening. The NFL has a tendency to make as little sense as possible.

The NFL has no obligation to 'make this right' for Skins fans. It's an unfortunate aspect of life...people in all walks of life die before it's their time. It's something for friends and family to grieve over and deal with before eventually moving on with their lives. It's not the job of the overseeing corporation to 'make it better' for the consumers of the product.

If they want to help out the family, I applaud them. But they don't owe us a damn thing.

Please stop asking 'whats in it for us?'

Archived