Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just something I think needs to be said

Rufus T Firefly

This is just a terrible tragedy, and of course none of you need me to tell you that. We're all sad and in shock. Our thoughts and prayers are going out to Taylor's family and friends today, as they should.

But, as we think about Sean and his family and what we can do to honor him and console them, I think it's a good time to remember something- More than 4000 families have gone through this same kind of tragedy and heartbreak as a result of our wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. My family was one of those, as I lost my little brother last year (which I point out to show my personal connection and rationale for this post- not to gain sympathy or make this about me).

To be clear: I am not trying to make this about me (please don't feel the need to post anything about condolences to me or anything), nor am I about to make any kind of political statement, nor am I trying in any way to minimize or distract from the tragedy of Sean Taylor.

I just hope people can use the emotion we're feeling now as an opportunity going forward. What we feel for Sean and his family is something we can remember as a way to relate to those families who go through the same thing every day. Those 4,000+ deaths we have heard of aren't just numbers. Each one of them represents a family who has lost something precious and goes through the kind of pain Sean's family is feeling right now.

So, please pray and grieve for Sean and his family. And then do the same for all the brave, promising, loved young Americans we are losing constantly. And use the way you are feeling this personally today as a way to relate to the pain we should be feeling for those families.

And, as for the idea of donating money to Sean's daughter- that's a real nice idea. But, of course, Sean was a millionaire and I'm sure Dan Snyder and the Redskins organization will do a lot to take care of her and Sean's family. I would respectfully suggest that it might be a better idea to find a charity that helps the children of our fallen soldiers. They probably need it more.

i hope you don't get blasted for this post, because I think you are right for making some of us (LIKE ME) who don't think about our soldiers enough realize what's going on.

I have a fairly new flat screen tv that I"m getting rid of, and I was planning on selling it, but now I will make a donation to a association that benefits veterans ...

i hope you don't get blasted for this post, because I think you are right for making some of us (LIKE ME) who don't think about our soldiers enough realize what's going on.

Ditto.

What a senseless tragedy. I cant remember ever feeling this numb. I couldnt care less about football right now, and it may be some time before I get over this. My soul bleeds for ST's family, especially his little girl. I hope Dan Snyder takes care of her.

Soldiers bravely give their life when they sign up for the army, knowing the risks involved. God bless them. However, someone murdered in front of his daughter and fiance is slightly different.
Death is death. Its only the how that is different.

Soldiers bravely give their life when they sign up for the army, knowing the risks involved. God bless them. However, someone murdered in front of his daughter and fiance is slightly different.

I don't know that that is in any way an appropriate response to what I posted. It really has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

it sometimes takes a high-profile tragedy to realize what is going wrong. When the VT shootings happened, I thought about were the civilians and soldiers dying in Iraq. For this situation, I think about all the poor people living in less than desirable neighborhoods and people who are hurt by civil wars in other countries too.

I don't know that that is in any way an appropriate response to what I posted. It really has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

youre using STs murder as a springboard for support for fallen troops. While the latter is certainly worth concern, it is in fact completely unrelated to the tragedy at hand.

Agreed.

Soldiers assume a risk with full knowledge and intent beforehand. This man was murdered in his own bedroom

And, as for the idea of donating money to Sean's daughter- that's a real nice idea. But, of course, Sean was a millionaire and I'm sure Dan Snyder and the Redskins organization will do a lot to take care of her and Sean's family. I would respectfully suggest that it might be a better idea to find a charity that helps the children of our fallen soldiers. They probably need it more.

One correction: Sean was a MULTI-Millionare. I couldn't agree more. They DO need it more. There are A LOT of people who need it more.

One correction: Sean was a MULTI-Millionare. I couldn't agree more. They DO need it more. There are A LOT of people who need it more. Thank you for making this post.

One correction: Sean was a MULTI-Millionare. I couldn't agree more. They DO need it more. There are A LOT of people who need it more. Thank you for making this post.

as a vet who has had friends die....

- those who claim these are different scenarios are correct; however, the idea that thought and care should be directed to the fallen heros/volunteers in Iraq/Afghanistan...is also correct. it's about the human sympathies/empathies. I note that Ken Harvey said exactly the same thing on Wash Post Live yesterday

- as for the OP....I give to many charities and frankly could have done without the class/income reference. One gives because it is the right thing to do and because it might help. one does so according to his own lights - not exclusively based on class warfare rhetoric.

I thought the post overall was good and needed...I had been thinking the same thing. But drop the $$$$ finger wag - it's tangential to what matters: freely giving to help regardless of station in life.

My condolences for your loss. Your brother was a special person to serve as he did and sacrifice as he did for others.

I know many of you will think this is 'unpatriotic', but we should always be thinking about all the innocent people in Iraq who have been victims of this war as well. Remember our troops were supposed to be sent in to liberate them from the tyranny of Saddam yet both sides are suffering because our common enemy is bad legislation and leadership from both nations.

Whatever...those guys knew what they were signing up for.

Taylor was gunned down in his own home trying to protect his family.

Apples and oranges, man.

Seriously, stop with responses like this.

I am not in any way saying the situations are the same. I think I have made that perfectly clear. I AM saying the pain the families feel are similar. And trying to provide this as a chance for people to use the perspective this gives them as a way to relate to something that's going on in our country going forward, once we have moved on from our grieving period for Sean and his family.

More importantly, this "they knew what they were signing up for" line is, intentionally or not, extremely disrespectful. What these young Americans were signing up for is to serve and protect their country and all of us. And in any way dismissing this sacrifice with lines like this is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. If they indeed "knew what they were signing up for" then that is something you should respect and appreciate MORE, not less. And those statements, again, intentional or not, are dismissive and disrespectful of that sacrifice.

Please stop posting about how the situations are different.

as a vet who has had friends die....

- those who claim these are different scenarios are correct; however, the idea that thought and care should be directed to the fallen heros/volunteers in Iraq/Afghanistan...is also correct. it's about the human sympathies/empathies. I note that Ken Harvey said exactly the same thing on Wash Post Live yesterday

- as for the OP....I give to many charities and frankly could have done without the class/income reference. One gives because it is the right thing to do and because it might help. one does so according to his own lights - not exclusively based on class warfare rhetoric.

I thought the post overall was good and needed...I had been thinking the same thing. But drop the $$$$ finger wag - it's tangential to what matters: freely giving to help regardless of station in life.

My condolences for your loss. Your brother was a special person to serve as he did and sacrifice as he did for others.

Thank you for your service and the nice sentiments.

However, the comments about "class warfare rhetoric" and "finger wagging" are way off base. I am merely offering my opinion that, rather than donate money to the college fund of a child who really won't need it (as was suggested earlier), that maybe people should consider whether that money would be better spent helping those who need the help more. That is not in any way "class warfare". Take my suggestion or not, but don't try to misrepresent it as a defemation of someone because of their income.

Rvan and McMetal are right, it is an apples to oranges comparison. Our troops knowingly volunteered to put themselves in harm's way and did/do so with the benefit of having the tools to protect themselves. Taylor and other innocent victims of senseless violence like this were just going about their normal daily lives only to be struck down for no reason at all. The major difference here is in the expectation of being safe from violence outside of a war zone.

In no way does it diminish the sacrifices that our troops have made, but the two situations are completely and totally different. And, while I don't think that's how you meant it, it honestly does sound a little opportunistic to me.

Archived